Roast Buddha

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah. Liked those 3 players better.
Gazza Jnr was only awesome for 4 seasons with us.
You mean the four seasons in which he won the competions mvp 3 times and wasnt far from a fourth? Do you not understand the gravity of such an achievement? Something scarlett never did once or even came close to. Also was the four seasons he started favourite in the brownlow. He played only a handfull of less games in those four years then what polly farmer did his entire career at geelong. Fine if you dont like him (he pisses me off too) but only ablett senior is even in the same conversation with him as geelongs greatest player of the past thirty years and then their is a masssive leap backwards to third place.

You mean the four seasons in which he won the competions mvp 3 times and wasnt far from a fourth? Do you not understand the gravity of such an achievement? Something scarlett never did once or even came close to. Also was the four seasons he started favourite in the brownlow. He played only a handfull of less games in those four years then what polly farmer did his entire career at geelong. Fine if you dont like him (he pisses me off too) but only ablett senior is even in the same conversation with him as geelongs greatest player of the past thirty years and then their is a masssive leap backwards to third place.
He can win as many awards as he likes.
If I had to choose the player who we needed the most and the more important to our team I'd pick Scarlett.
Got nothing against Jnr, I thought the same when he was still playing for us.
It's sometimes forgotten how good Scarlett was before those premiership years.

He can win as many awards as he likes.
If I had to choose the player who we needed the most and the more important to our team I'd pick Scarlett.
Got nothing against Jnr, I thought the same when he was still playing for us.
It's sometimes forgotten how good Scarlett was before those premiership years.
Scarllett is the only fullback I have seen that when the ball was belted down to the goalsquare and he was one out, he enjoyed that. Meant he got to mark it, take off, and start a run-on. Rarely got beat one on one. It was the full-forward that looked worried when it came down. :D

Scarllett is the only fullback I have seen that when the ball was belted down to the goalsquare and he was one out, he enjoyed that. Meant he got to mark it, take off, and start a run-on. Rarely got beat one on one. It was the full-forward that looked worried when it came down. :D

Loved Scarlo - look at how he absolutely owned Westhoff in the 2007 GF - total masterclass

Controversial!!

I'd have Scarlett above Buddha, only because champion defenders are rarer than midfielders. Both made amazing contributions to the club and game.
Not afraid of a little controversy. Buddha played in a team that didnt quite have the tickets and stood out in a midfield of bairstow couch bews and for a while williams.
Scarlo played in a team with an impenetrable defense with the likes of harley milburn enright mackie egan taylor wojo hunt etc.
Buddha had to perform under more importance on his efforts in my opinion. The man was polished and had a head as hard as a bank safe.
Loved them both but buddha for mine. Still think Scarlo was better than silvagni though

As others have pointed out the one small area where Buddha let himself down was in finals. Admittedly he copped a corked thigh (I think) in one of the WCE GF's.

Scarlett delivered in finals in "spades"; he lived to play in GF's.

I saw him completely destroy Barry Hall once when Hall was in good form too.
Beat him for strength in every contest, outmarked him, beat him on the lead.
Don't think Bazza even got a shot on goal.
On top of that he set up a lot of goals himself and even kicked one.
Brilliant. Can't be a more valuable player for your team than that.
Our best player of Naughties.

Last edited:
You could say our premiership tilt was built around Scarlett. For me, easily our most important player, and he delivered consistently.

The 'feud' is overblown it existed when they played together and that worked out fine. Not all siblings are friends sad but true...

I remember we played North Melbourne back in that time between Blighty and Bomber. Down at Kardinia Park, I'm sure. Anyway, Brad and Craig Sholl were along the boundary line, at first wrestling then punching the merry hell out of each other. I laughed. Everyone laughed.

I don't think the Sholls actually hated each other - it was just competitiveness.

Does anyone know the origin of the Hocking Hate? Competitiveness? A woman? Something said while drunk on a footy trip?

I remember we played North Melbourne back in that time between Blighty and Bomber. Down at Kardinia Park, I'm sure. Anyway, Brad and Craig Sholl were along the boundary line, at first wrestling then punching the merry hell out of each other. I laughed. Everyone laughed.

I don't think the Sholls actually hated each other - it was just competitiveness.

Does anyone know the origin of the Hocking Hate? Competitiveness? A woman? Something said while drunk on a footy trip?
Remember Joel Selwood bitch slapped his brother and copped a one week suspension. Can't remember if it was Adam or Troy, but it was a brother

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kept Fraser Gherig goalless in a game (05)? And went forward and kicked one himself. Bloke is one of the best I've ever seen.... (Scarlet, not Gherig).

I can't confirm it but apparently their wives hate each other, which caused huge dramas, and both sided with the wives and cut the others out of their lives.

There's lots of speculation.....

Most of it devoid of facts.

I have no idea myself. None.

Whatever the cause, im sure it can be overcome at some point.

However, I do hope that with Budda's kid coming thru that the Hocking family can at least be amicable and professional enough to get what's best for the kids sorted as well as the club.

May or may not be possible.

Regardless, im not sure that speculation as to the why's and wherefore's of 20 years ago will gain anything now.

Go Catters

Great player no doubt but his Grand Final record was poor. Just seemed to be overawed on each occasion which is a shame as if he'd put one or two great performances together he'd no doubt be a premiership player and his legacy would be even more impressive.
Reminds me of him and Worsfold in the '94 GF. Buddha came into the game with a leg injury. Just to make sure, Worsfold gave him a kick in the leg in the 1st Quarter to see how it was. Hated Worsfold ever since.

Anyway....purely on the stats, his numbers are ok for the '92 and '94 GF, but I have wiped most of the games from my memory so can't remember how he went.

Was just after Adam tried to clean him up and came off the worse for it.
Yes, it was just a push off from an annoyed player who had just been lined up. I think the reasoning was that Adam MAY have been injured after he came off second best while trying to take Joel out of the game. It was a time when the Hawthorn run AFL tribunal was inventing new and weird reasons to put our champs out of the game. They targeted both Joel and Stevie back then with some logic defying suspensions.

Last edited:
Yes, it was just a push off from an annoyed player who had just been lined up. I think the reasoning was that Adam MAY have been injured after he came off second best while trying to take Joel out of the game. It was a time when the Hawthorn run AFL tribunal was inventing new and weird reasons to put our champs out of the game. They targeted both Joel and Stevie back then with some logic defying suspensions.
Yep. I remember that time well. Remember when James Kelly got a week for a bump that nearly made high contact? The reasoning "potential to injure".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back