Buddha's Tactics

Remove this Banner Ad

Effes

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2003
AFL Club
Carlton
Anyone else see this on channel 10 sport? :D

He threw all 18 players into the defensive 50 leaving the opposition on their own in the centre square during a WAFL game (or was it colts?)

it was during the peel V west perth game on the weekend.

Peel Thunder’s extensive flooding tactics against West Perth last Saturday at Rushton Park caused many spectators to do a double take at one stage in the last quarter.

After the Falcons kicked their 16th goals, the Thunder started the next centre bounce with all 18 players in the Falcons forward line.

It was an eccentric tactic by Peel coach Garry Hocking, however he is standing behind his strategy after the 92-point loss. He told supporters after the game that he wanted to teach his team discipline and the importance of accountability. Peel remains winless after the 17.15 (117) to 4.1 (25) loss.

Peel’s first two goals, to veteran Peter Bird and Cameron Gauci in the first term, resulted from 50m penalties being paid against Falcons players. The other two goals were kicked in the third quarter by Pat Travers and former Fremantle midfielder Ben Cunningham. Travers and Cunningham were among the few shining lights for Peel as they worked to create opportunities for their side. However, much of the flooding resulted in turnovers as Peel players had limited options when they worked the ball out of defence.

average work at best. you might as well walk off the field.

I'd be loving it if I was a West Perth player. Find a team-mate in the backline and kick-to-kick for 5 minutes and rack up the stats. :D

Tony Shaw did something similar a few years back when coaching the Pies - could have been in Perth if I remember correctly?

Not much was said about it then other than its not what the AFL wants.

MOJOE said:
Tony Shaw did something similar a few years back when coaching the Pies - could have been in Perth if I remember correctly?

Not much was said about it then other than its not what the AFL wants.

Didn't Shaw do something like that against the Tigers ?
It was either that or he put his forwards in defence and his defence up forward.

Either way,it confused the Tigers [not hard to do ;) ]

Yeah, it's out there but I'm less inclined to crucify him. Obviously there were issues with the players not following the much vaunted 'game plan', accountability etc, and with the result a foregone conclusion he said, well, stuff it.

I remember an AFL coach telling a press conference that one of his players was 'pathetic', and that another time he left a bloke on the pine for a whole game as a 'learning experience'. Yet another time he walked around the huddled players at 3/4 time abusing the bejeezers out of them, another time he pointedly left the coaches box and walked into the rooms demonstrating his disgust for his players. This same coach won two flags for that club.

Admittedly, he also got up on a stepladder and personally abused each and every player, but that's by the by and not my point. Which is, if it's not plain (and it probably isn't), that sometimes coaches do the darnedest things and sometimes these darned things cause some positive repercussions, and that this response to Buddha's plan is probably an over-reaction.

So there.

(PS - just re-read what I wrote. Blighty was a freak, wasn't he?? And that was just Adelaide, not Geelong or the Saints.)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

funnily enough we did that in a game but we had 2 players in the centre a 2 forwards. it was suppose to be like rugby by running in lines n handballing but then there was 1 idiot that kicked it and they ended up getting a goal coz we run in a line n left our oppenents free :eek:

QuiKsiLvA said:
Yeah, just seen it on the news. West Perth players had no idea what to do :eek:

They looked absolutely confused.

But the funny this is that West Perth still managed to score a goal with the 18 Peel players in their forward line

mocaholic said:
Yeah, it's out there but I'm less inclined to crucify him. Obviously there were issues with the players not following the much vaunted 'game plan', accountability etc, and with the result a foregone conclusion he said, well, stuff it.

I remember an AFL coach telling a press conference that one of his players was 'pathetic', and that another time he left a bloke on the pine for a whole game as a 'learning experience'. Yet another time he walked around the huddled players at 3/4 time abusing the bejeezers out of them, another time he pointedly left the coaches box and walked into the rooms demonstrating his disgust for his players. This same coach won two flags for that club.

Admittedly, he also got up on a stepladder and personally abused each and every player, but that's by the by and not my point. Which is, if it's not plain (and it probably isn't), that sometimes coaches do the darnedest things and sometimes these darned things cause some positive repercussions, and that this response to Buddha's plan is probably an over-reaction.

So there.

(PS - just re-read what I wrote. Blighty was a freak, wasn't he?? And that was just Adelaide, not Geelong or the Saints.)
nice post!
Reminded me of the time when Blight wouldn't let Austin McCrabb stand in the 3/4 time huddle. He had to go and stand on his own 30 metres away. :D

My first thoughts too when hearing of this bizarre tactic was that it sounded very 'Blightesque'
And who would be the coach who had the most influence on Buddha?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back