Buddy Elbow -how many week?

Remove this Banner Ad

10 for 6 weeks at Hawks. 7 for 1 week at Swans.

For someone who hasnt changed his style of play. And where over time in theory the AFL has become more strict about penalising bad behaviour.

That’s the thing. This is an era where the immediate response is generally to OVERREACT but if you’re the right person you don’t get squat

people will point to joel Selwood and that’s fine, he sails close to the wind and while he’s been pinged a few times he’s dodged other bullets where maybe he shouldn’t have. I can cop that. Dangerfield and Hawkins don’t seem to have to do much to get weeks. Burgoyne produces a sling tackle to rival any I’ve seen and gets off, other blokes get disproportionate weeks for minor infractions. I don’t get how they can operate the way they do

That’s the thing. This is an era where the immediate response is generally to OVERREACT but if you’re the right person you don’t get squat

people will point to joel Selwood and that’s fine, he sails close to the wind and while he’s been pinged a few times he’s dodged other bullets where maybe he shouldn’t have. I can cop that. Dangerfield and Hawkins don’t seem to have to do much to get weeks. Burgoyne produces a sling tackle to rival any I’ve seen and gets off, other blokes get disproportionate weeks for minor infractions. I don’t get how they can operate the way they do

Hawkins had a long period of throwing jumper punches before he was finally pinged.

This was insufficient force. Despite the jaw wobbling.

images.jpeg

Stratton had a strong jaw. Someone with a glass jaw probably drops to the ground.

Hawkins is a grub too.

It will be justice if this week Bud gets a soft tissue injury putting him out for the season.

I don't necessarily think the Franklin report was worth a suspension, but I am not sure how a player can have an accidential head clash with another player and get suspended, but bashing someone around the head with an arm is fine? I will never understand why him - or any of the other players who did it this year - get off for that.

Cyril Rioli - 'Attempted Striking' ... Two weeks.

Actually elbowing someone in the head? :$
Amazing isnt it.

Rioli still the only player to be suspended for “attempted striking”.

But of course we know that the occasional “risk of injury” gets rolled out as a catch all too, when they want to.

Hawkins had a long period of throwing jumper punches before he was finally pinged.

This was insufficient force. Despite the jaw wobbling.

View attachment 1189574

Stratton had a strong jaw. Someone with a glass jaw probably drops to the ground.

I am happy to stand corrected but I think you’ll find the instant that they said jumper punches were illegal he got rubbed out numerous times. On a few occasions you wouldn’t even call them jumper punches

I am happy to stand corrected but I think you’ll find the instant that they said jumper punches were illegal he got rubbed out numerous times. On a few occasions you wouldn’t even call them jumper punches

They were always technically illegal but only if you hurt someone. It was treated differently to a regular punch where you could be in trouble even if no injury was done.

They changed it to be the same.

The AFL just loves grey areas.

I dont care about the grading or intent elbows to the face are incredibly dangerous and can split heads open just make a blanket rule its not hard.
You are right, if that elbow connects to the eye.......
MRO and judiciary need to be independent

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sure, but it is inconsistent by nature. No two incidents are ever exactly alike and different sets of eyes can fall either side of the line. It's been inadmissible in the past for a reason.

There is no point having an "intentional" category that is never used except when the AFL wants to really whack somebody.

So far, in the wake of Hocking we need the rules and the MRO overhauled. Anything else?
Exactly. Neither Astbury or Shuey connected with their elbows to the head of their opponents. The fact is that regardless of supposed precedents an illegal act is still an illegal act.

Apparently most on your board think it's worth a week, your club however think it's worth getting him off.

The view that the indiscretion deserves a week off and the view that he shouldn't be punished for something other players were let off for aren't mutually exclusive

The view that the indiscretion deserves a week off and the view that he shouldn't be punished for something other players were let off for aren't mutually exclusive

Yup. No club is going to sit by and let their star player get suspended for something when they have at least three similar examples with a decent outcome. I would also be fighting it, regardless of my actual thought on the matter.

The problem here though is that any club can now use this argument if anyone gets suspended for anything even remotely like this. And that is a dangerous example to set.

The problem here though is that any club can now use this argument if anyone gets suspended for anything even remotely like this. And that is a dangerous example to set.

The AFL can fix it by just saying the MRO got it wrong with the 3 previous incidents - graded low despite their own guidelines saying head contact should be medium. Clubs have fair warning so in-season precedents wiped for any future incidents from this round forwards.

Yup. No club is going to sit by and let their star player get suspended for something when they have at least three similar examples with a decent outcome. I would also be fighting it, regardless of my actual thought on the matter.

This says a lot about your character and of those that think the same.
So by that logic the next player who swings an elbow in a similar way and hits someone in the head the MRO should probably not bother charging them?
Keep the status quo

The AFL can fix it by just saying the MRO got it wrong with the 3 previous incidents - graded low despite their own guidelines saying head contact should be medium. Clubs have fair warning so in-season precedents wiped for any future incidents from this round forwards.
Yes, but could they (AFL) do that and then give buddy the week off? They could have but chose not to, they are ok with that in our game, it would seem.

Yes, but could they (AFL) do that and then give buddy the week off? They could have but chose not to, they are ok with that in our game, it would seem.

If they had done it before the last round then Buddy would not be playing this week -or perhaps he would not have swung the elbow.

If they do it now, then no further incidents will get off with a fine.

But yeah, every week they delay is another week the head is only kind of sacrosanct.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back