Premiership Player
Apr 24, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney
We finally get to this moment.

Congrats Bud - 300 games is an amazing achievement.

What a legend, a freak, an icon of our game. One of the very few players that seems to consistently sit us back in our seat and ask "how did he do that?!"

Hopefully there are a few more years of show stopping moments to come.

Goomba1973

Team Captain
Aug 13, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
New York Mets
Best forward of his generation. If he was a great mark he may have gone down as one of the very best ever. Players like him don’t come along too often. Enjoy while it lasts. Cheers Buddy. It’s been great viewing.
I Hope he manages to stick around and kick the 1K. Absolute freak of the game who will be held in similar regard to Plugger, Ablett , Dunstall ect....

Oct 16, 2003
Murrumbeena
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Best forward of his generation. If he was a great mark he may have gone down as one of the very best ever. Players like him don’t come along too often. Enjoy while it lasts. Cheers Buddy. It’s been great viewing.

One of the best ever regardless...

He is currently 7th all time for goals kicked with the players ahead of time all coming from eras were individual goalkicking tallies were MUCH higher across the board. Franklin will likely kick 1000 goals! when the absolute best of his contempories (Kennedy, Fevola, etc) will all end up a shade over 600. 300-400 more goals than the next best is a MASSIVE gap.

On top of that, he gets a lot of all the ball for a key forward, lays plenty of tackles for a key forward, is a great distributor and can do things only a couple of players ever can do.

He is an 8 x All Australian (equal #1 all time, most of any key forward) and 4 time Coleman Medallist (despite missing chunks of games most seasons and playing at CHF for plenty).

Is without doubt in the top 20 players of all time (and has a good case for top 10 IMO).

Surely Paul

Cancelled
Jul 9, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond

He is currently 7th all time for goals kicked with the players ahead of time all coming from eras were individual goalkicking tallies were MUCH higher across the board. Franklin will likely kick 1000 goals! when the absolute best of his contempories (Kennedy, Fevola, etc) will all end up a shade over 600. 300-400 more goals than the next best is a MASSIVE gap.

On top of that, he gets a lot of all the ball for a key forward, lays plenty of tackles for a key forward, is a great distributor and can do things only a couple of players ever can do.

He is an 8 x All Australian (equal #1 all time, most of any key forward) and 4 time Coleman Medallist (despite missing chunks of games most seasons and playing at CHF for plenty).

Is without doubt in the top 20 players of all time (and has a good case for top 10 IMO).
Wouldn't even make the the top 200 of all time. Always goes missing when the heat's on. Can't mark overhead. Sorry.

Wouldn't even make the the top 200 of all time. Always goes missing when the heat's on. Can't mark overhead. Sorry.
Disagree completely. I had front row seats when he killed us kicking 8 goals in a final at the MCG. Buddy's a superstar and will be remembered as one of the greats.

Jan 31, 2007
In N Out
AFL Club
Carlton

Carey, Matthews and Ablett Snr are the very best I’ve seen. If Buddy was as strong in the air as Ablett or Carey, then he’d likely belong in that group. That’s actually a compliment to how good he is. I don’t see anyone coming through who looks like they’ll be nearly as good either, so we should all enjoy it while it lasts.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Carey, Matthews and Ablett Snr are the very best I’ve seen. If Buddy was as strong in the air as Ablett or Carey, then he’d likely belong in that group. That’s actually a compliment to how good he is. I don’t see anyone coming through who looks like they’ll be nearly as good either, so we should all enjoy it while it lasts.

Oddly enough Carey, Mattews and Ablett Snr are all arseholes of the highest order.

Oct 16, 2003
Murrumbeena
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Always goes missing when the heat's on

Laughable view.
In Franklin's first ever final, he kicked 7 goals to overturn a 5 goal deficit, including the matchwinner with seconds left, from 50 out on the boundary.
By his 3rd final, he had already kicked 18 goals, including 8 when double teamed by Brian Lake and Dale Morris.
One of his most famous goals came to put his side up in the final minutes of a prelim final against unbackable favourites (Collingwood in '11)
In the 2012 GF, Hawthorn were being put to the sword in the second quarter by Sydney. Franklin stepped up big time to drag his side back in to the contest and in front in a dominant 3rd quarter.
n the 2014 GF, Franklin was just about the only player to fly the flag for Sydney, kicking 4 goals 2 despite being double teamed.
He averages more goals against top 8 sides over his career and until recently, had a higher goal average in finals than the regular season.
He is also top 5 all time for goals in finals.
As I said, missing when the heat is on is a laughable view.

"Can't mark overhead"

This criticism is massively overstated. He can and does mark overhead (and often). In fact, he has the 6th most contested marks on record and averages more than Riewoldt, Kennedy and most of his rivals (obviously not all are overhead). With that said, it is the one part of his game that is not as good as the all time champions. However, this is more than offset by the fact that he is arguably the best key forward ever in "non-mark" situations (off the ground, etc.)

"Wouldn't even make the top 200 of all time"

Not even going to bother with this bit. 8 x AA, 4 x Coleman and 900+ goals reveal your opinion to be either a complete idiot or terrible troll.

Eternal Schism

Senior List
Feb 17, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Souths

I'd ask you to name 200 but I know you're being hyperbolic. So instead name 50 better than him. Must be easy if you're so certain.

INB4 I can't or won't take the time to back up my outlanding comments.

ash_1050

Premiership Player
Nov 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory and Arsenal

giphy.gif

Back