Mega Thread Buddy Franklin moves to Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

I have to admit that the swans don't have a lot that appeals to me at the moment. You will keep Jack, no one else can match the ambassador money. Hannebery still has a few years to go on his contract but will likely be enticed back after that. Kennedy seems happy away from the pressure. Maybe Parker. We will watch and see how the others develop before we decide which ones to cherry pick.

So maybe Hannebury and Parker. We have no depth so there isn't anything to see there. So we might perhaps maybe could possibly lose two players down the track. That's not too bad. I was expecting an avalanche.

BTW. In your analysis what are Hannebury and Parker currently earning?

I have to admit that the swans don't have a lot that appeals to me at the moment. You will keep Jack, no one else can match the ambassador money.

Oooh, you're doing this again. Remember last time we talked about this, you said:

NSW ambassador money paying large portions of some players contracts (Goodes & Jack, maybe others)
Then petulantly admitted later you had no idea what was being paid. Why are you bringing it up again?

On one hand, Sydney have got rid of their only capable ruckman (Mumford) as indirectly pat of the deal to get Buddy yet Hawthorn spent the whole year, their premiership year, was a balanced forward line. Not relying on anyone player, like we have previously, to get us over the line.

At best that is sloppy analysis.

Pyke easily contributed more to the Swans this year than Mumford, if for no other reason than he could stay healthy and on the field; perhaps you should have a browse through the mid-season posts in the All-Australian thread to see how he was rated by the neutral fans.

Getting Buddy makes the Swans forward line far more balanced; one of the main criticisms of the Swans during their late season slide was the focus on Tippett as a target to the exclusion of all other options. Surely you aren't suggesting Tippett will now become invisible in a Franklin-dominated forward line?

Oooh, you're doing this again. Remember last time we talked about this, you said:

Then petulantly admitted later you had no idea what was being paid. Why are you bringing it up again?

Do you know what they are being paid? Or because we do not know the exact number then we are supposed to pretend it is not happening?

I'm happy to talk about it. It is a 100% fact that Jack and Goodes are both AFLNSW ambassadors paid outside the cap directly by the AFL for their services. I would love to know precisely how much they get. Apparently no one wants us to know though. Wonder why :confused:

I wish Swans fans would stop posting in this thread. It's obvious that opposition fans know more about our list, as well as the machinations of our footy department and board.

Although it is refreshing to know that posters finally rate our list highly enough that we're in danger of having players poached. I mean, in only 2012 we were a hack team that noone rated, and people couldn't find a place on their list for any of our players.

Everyone is in danger of having players poached. I would take at least two players from every single club in the AFL without question, maybe more.

Do you know what they are being paid? Or because we do not know the exact number then we are supposed to pretend it is not happening?

You don't make statements of fact about what percentage of their wage is made up by it or the ability of teams to match payments if you don't know the numbers. I would have thought that was pretty simple.

So, what DID you base your statements about a large percentage of their wage being paid through ambassadorships on?

You don't make statements of fact about what percentage of their wage is made up by it or the ability of teams to match payments if you don't know the numbers. I would have thought that was pretty simple.

So, what DID you base your statements about a large percentage of their wage being paid through ambassadorships on?

Quote me where I stated a percentage as fact? If it is $1 that is $1 other clubs (excluding GWS) cannot match.

The statement of fact I made is that they are contracted by the AFL as AFLNSW ambassadors. This is not in dispute. This allows Sydney to package up part of their respective deals outside the cap. Yes they have to work for it, but then Judd had to work for his VISY money as well :rolleyes:

Quote me where I stated a percentage as fact? .

The statement of fact I made is that they are contracted by the AFL as AFLNSW ambassadors. :
I quoted you earlier stating that it paid for a large portion of Goodes' and Jack's contracts. I imagine you're eager to play semantics with percentage, but you made a statement about what the make up of players' contracts were then admitted you didn't know how much ambassadors got paid.

I quoted you earlier stating that it paid for a large portion of Goodes' and Jack's contracts. I imagine you're eager to play semantics with percentage, but you made a statement about what the make up of players' contracts were then admitted you didn't know how much ambassadors got paid.

Ok, so I didn't quote a percentage as fact

It's much appreciated.......................even though it's laced with envy.

Envious of protecting a player that cares for himself and partying as much as possible?
Nah, to be honest I am pleased he has moved on and taken his antics elsewhere, I wish you luck with containing them.

Aside form this, what would happen to the contract if he potentially ended up with 3 strikes and a 2yr ban?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Non paid role

Envious of protecting a player that cares for himself and partying as much as possible?
Nah, to be honest I am pleased he has moved on and taken his antics elsewhere, I wish you luck with containing them.

Aside form this, what would happen to the contract if he potentially ended up with 3 strikes and a 2yr ban?

You will find there are AFL & PA agreed clauses in every player contract. The AFL keep this (player strikes) information from clubs so a player's contract would become null & void should such a scenario pan out. The Swans aren't stupid & neither are the AFL or PA.

On another note, from what we are hearing, the Hawks were prepared to pay Buddy $1M per year over the rest of his career, say 5 years with many supporters wanting the club to match our offer. It has been reported that he would be on 700K in the first two years with us until a few of our senior stars retire, then it would go up.

Is it fair to say that the Hawks (or their supporters at least) were prepared to be just as "irresponsible" as we are supposedly being?

Take a deep breath mate. It's not the end of the world.

I'm all good. I just don't understand what is the point of pretending it doesn't happen?

I actually think it is a massive positive that someone like Jack does it. He comes from a legendary RL family and would be providing a huge marketing boost for AFL in NSW. Much much more than Falou for example, Jack is a legitimate AFL gun.

Anyway, as I have stated it is a cap advantage and I would like to know how much.

Don't forget our new recruits for round 1 2014.

John Alexson, Ram Seid, Neville Jetta, Adam Goodes, Thomas Lewis Robertson.

Add Kurt Tippett & Tom Mitchell & Buddy to those that didn't play the PF side.

Looking good hey?

AWWWWESOME if the flag is played on paper like you flogs like to daydream about 2014-2019 premierships all but sewn up.
Go bloods!

You will find there are AFL & PA agreed clauses in every player contract. The AFL keep this (player strikes) information from clubs so a player's contract would become null & void should such a scenario pan out. The Swans aren't stupid & neither are the AFL or PA.

On another note, from what we are hearing, the Hawks were prepared to pay Buddy $1M per year over the rest of his career, say 5 years with many supporters wanting the club to match our offer. It has been reported that he would be on 700K in the first two years with us until a few of our senior stars retire, then it would go up.

Is it fair to say that the Hawks (or their supporters at least) were prepared to be just as "irresponsible" as we are supposedly being?

Geez imagine the meltdown on the Hawks board if their own admin had signed Buddy on a matched contract.
Then us Swans supporters would need to day-in day-out question the morals/ethics/brains of the Hawks administration...I mean seriously Stratton is better than Enright, Gibson is the best fullback of all time, Smith kicked the most amazing goal anyone has ever seen in a GF, Lake cost em nuttin all of that before we even start to look at their actual superstars (like Hodge & Mitchell)....how the heck can they afford to keep them all under the salary cap. They must all be worth at least 700k each ( 4 x 700k, + Hodge/Mitchell must be getting at least 900k...there goes half of their salary cap on 6 players. What do the other 32 get paid?
I hope the AFL does not intend us bailing them out when it goes pear shaped. Fancy trying to assemble a team that can win the premiership, what a completely ludicrous & irresponsible thing to do.

AWWWWESOME if the flag is played on paper like you flogs like to daydream about 2014-2019 premierships all but sewn up.
Go bloods!

Buddy wanted us!
He obviously tired of the sick obsessive Hawk flogs like you that tried to mount him every time you saw him.

Get over it twirp!

Nonsense.
Thomas wanted out.
Free agency allowed that. He has followed Malthouse. End of story. If you matched the offer then he would have gone in the draft & got there anyway & nothing for you, but this way you get a pick. A high one too.

For whatever reason, Buddy chose us over GWS where he would have also received an additional 800K in AFL marketing money on top of the 1.2M on offer from GWS. Something we aren't utilising with the Buddy contract. So Buddy wanted us.

He CAN'T go in to the draft if they match the offer. He would be forced to play for the Pies.

I hope the AFL does not intend us bailing them out when it goes pear shaped. Fancy trying to assemble a team that can win the premiership, what a completely ludicrous & irresponsible thing to do.

What is this US you talk about - when you get handouts from the AFL you are in no position to comment. I would accept that from pies, cats and eagles fans only.

Tell me how much the AFL gave the hawks when it looked like they had to merge
Tell me how much the hawks got in the future funding distribution

* me, a franchise supporter talking about not wanting to help out another club

What is this US you talk about - when you get handouts from the AFL you are in no position to comment. I would accept that from pies, cats and eagles fans only.

Tell me how much the AFL gave the hawks when it looked like they had to merge
Tell me how much the hawks got in the future funding distribution

**** me, a franchise supporter talking about not wanting to help out another club

He was just reflecting the s**t they've been copping since the Buddy signing as if it was on you for matching the Buddy offer. I don't think it is meant to be taken seriously.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back