Mega Thread Buddy Franklin moves to Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

How a team that "should have won " the 2012 GF, containing stars such as, Hodge, Mitchell, Roughead, Burgoyne, Lewis, Rioli, Gunston, Franklin, Sewell, each with increasing salaies, could afford a player such as Lake & then go on & win the 2013 GF on THEIR OWN home ground against a team that was made to travel the biggest trip in the country twice.

It's a rort & I think to keep things even, your best player should be allowed to go to the club of his choice.................oh wait! ;)

Or be given some extra funding, in fact any handouts at all would be nice. Unlike Buddy, who you had to sell the Bridge for, Lake came to the hawks with a pay cut. As for the biggest trip in the country maybe that's why they eased the 2012 premiers into the season with one of the softest draws in history for a premiership side.

Lake took a $200,000 pay cut, while players like Gibson, Gunston, Burgoyne and Hale all come to us via a trade in which the Hawks gave up a bunch of draft picks, not to mention those players actually nominated Hawthorn as their club of choice.

Good luck to Franklin next year. Now our attention turns to Trent Cotchin. ;)

Lake took a $200,000 pay cut, while players like Gibson, Gunston, Burgoyne and Hale all come to us via a trade in which the Hawks gave up a bunch of draft picks, not to mention those players actually nominated Hawthorn as their club of choice.

I heard he is the captain of the club he loves and would never leave, I could be wrong though.

I'm not wrong by the way.

So do you agree with my point that annual inflation of 7% for the next 10 years is BS? You can argue to heaven and back what the salary cap will be in 10 years time, but please don't pull BS inflation numbers.

Cap inflation doesn't have to be equal to true inflation rate. It's more about how much the TV networks are willing to pay and how much the players union can gouge out of it. I still think there is a real chance that TV rights will stay stagnant or even go down for the next broadcast deal given that the financials for the 3 main networks have been dicey (Channel 9 cut very fine in the last 12 months as I recall). So while player's union would want 7% inflation, I'm not so sure that this will occur

my 2c

Think it was more like 100k.

I believe the first thing people should ask is do they really want full equalisation? Is it even possible?

I agree with that and this is the substance of my argument. Full equalisation is never possible. How do you quantify and adjust for:
- Adelaide being s**t
- The shorter careers of Perth players because of their travel
- Hawks having to go to Tassie
- etc

So, I think we should just accept, as they do in every other league in the world, that s**t happens and some differences will exist. Some places will be more expensive, however they are generally better places to live. If they were not, then people would move to cheaper places. Some places will be shitter, but maybe they're better for raising families or saving income.

And to be clear, I am not arguing that Sydney has cheated, that Sydney did not deserve the 2012 flag, or anything else that some others on here may be. All I am arguing is that COLA should be removed NOW, before the start of the coming season. I couldn't care less about anything in the past.

I agree with that and this is the substance of my argument. Full equalisation is never possible. How do you quantify and adjust for:
- Adelaide being s**t
- etc

So, I think we should just accept, as they do in every other league in the world, that s**t happens and some differences will exist. Some places will be more expensive, however they are generally better places to live. If they were not, then people would move to cheaper places. Some places will be shitter, but maybe they're better for raising families or saving income.

And to be clear, I am not arguing that Sydney has cheated, that Sydney did not deserve the 2012 flag, or anything else that some others on here may be. All I am arguing is that COLA should be removed NOW, before the start of the coming season. I couldn't care less about anything in the past.
We need to address the amount of games that Hawks & Pies play on the MCG too. I also think that starting next year, an away game against the Cats for the Hawks, Pies, Bombers, Blues & Carlton means that like the interstate, they play at Geelong. A ground where we the interstate teams pretty much can pencil in a loss before the season starts.

Do you want another few examples?

We need to address the amount of games that Hawks & Pies play on the MCG too. I also think that starting next year, an away game against the Cats for the Hawks, Pies, Bombers, Blues & Carlton means that like the interstate, they play at Geelong. A ground where we the interstate teams pretty much can pencil in a loss before the season starts.

Another good example. The FIXture may be in place to maximise revenues, but it robs teams of the big stage, exposure, MCG experience, etc. The AFL needs to do better.

Sent from my phone

Where do we sign
Sydney no cola
Hawks at Symonds

(Log in to remove this ad.)

- Adelaide being s**t
- etc

l0l

You'll be needing lump sum TV rights AFL funded money, compliments of a successful Swans team, soon!

Don't bite the hand that feeds you. The AFL is a merri-go-round. You just need to grab your chance when it spins your way.

We have!

How true that is.

How true that is.
shots-fired.jpg

This turned out to be a big win for Hawthorn

And a disaster of epic proportions for the Swans

Completely nuts. I am more than happy to have seen Buddy in the red and white and would trade nothing for it. I will be talking about seeing Buddy playing for the Swans long after I have stopped talking about the 2005 premiership.

Buddy is a once in a lifetime player. There has been no player in the history of the game like Buddy and it has been a pleasure watching him play for us and kick amazing goal after amazing goal. With any luck he will reach 1000 goals as well (which admittedly is harder now the 2020 season doesn't look like it is happening) and if he does kick 1000 goals then his 1000th goal will be seen constantly for decades to come, and in that highlight, he will be wearing red and white.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back