Mega Thread Buddy Franklin moves to Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

$1.3m last year, $1.4m this year, $1.5m next year and then $1m in 9th and final year of his deal.

AFL said they will make Sydney include his pay in the cap even if he finishes up early.

Surely if he has said i've had enough, he gets paid up to his resignation date and the rest that was in the contract post resigniation date that doesn't get paid out in cash is ignored for any salary cap calculation.
Yeah the back ending strategy of buddy’s contract now that their list isn’t as good will be interesting to see how it plays out, had to be done obviously due to the stars they previously had to fit in

Was always going to look weird him getting more as he got worse tho

I could easily see him retire this year also and pocket the cash

PetterdHoisted

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
this thread takes you back to when the Swans were an absolute machine, didn't miss finals in a generation.

Buddy dropping the ball in the 2016 GF giving the Doggies their 'Goal for the Ages' really was the moment it all passed.

Buddy always was a player capable of the miraculous and also the ridiculous (kicking 2.12 in a game?!)

Unfortunately the Swans got the latter not the former in the 2016 GF, but corona virus wiping out one of the albatross years of his contract makes the gamble look better.

this thread takes you back to when the Swans were an absolute machine, didn't miss finals in a generation.

Buddy dropping the ball in the 2016 GF giving the Doggies their 'Goal for the Ages' really was the moment it all passed.

Buddy always was a player capable of the miraculous and also the ridiculous (kicking 2.12 in a game?!)

Unfortunately the Swans got the latter not the former in the 2016 GF, but corona virus wiping out one of the albatross years of his contract makes the gamble look better.
Existing contracts shouldn’t be affected

Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kidding, right?

He did his ankle in the opening minutes of the game.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast

Franklin wasn't terrible in the 2016 GF, nor was he a Norm Smith contender in 2008 or 2013 when he won flags. His best two GF performances were probably 2012 and 2014, both of which his teams lost.

Expect that after a big pre-season, Budd may be one of the players that comes back after the COVID break in a less than ideal state...

You're just wishing bad things on him.
Stop being such a c*nt of a person that you wish ill on someone.

Franklin wasn't terrible in the 2016 GF, nor was he a Norm Smith contender in 2008 or 2013 when he won flags. His best two GF performances were probably 2012 and 2014, both of which his teams lost.

Agree with this analysis, He was easily the best Swan in 2014 and nearly got us over the line against the Swans in 2012.

MVille Swan

Senior List
Aug 13, 2016
Inner West
AFL Club
Sydney
I'll fall over if there are more than a handful of the thirty plus thousand that turn up to SCG home games, and amongst Swans fans
around the rest of the country that don't think Buddy has been great for us. Sure we haven't won a flag in the last six years, but we're
not alone, there are 13 other teams in the same boat. He has been the most exciting player to watch this century.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I'll fall over if there are more than a handful of the thirty plus thousand that turn up to SCG home games, and amongst Swans fans
around the rest of the country that don't think Buddy has been great for us. Sure we haven't won a flag in the last six years, but we're
not alone, there are 13 other teams in the same boat. He has been the most exciting player to watch this century.

I also don't care what people say about Ablett being the best player of the 21st century, Buddy has been better. You can point to half a million midfielders who have been amazing in the last 20 years, Judd, Voss, Buckley, Pendlebury, Fyfe, Dangerfield etc, players who were almost as good as Ablett, but for forwards, no forward has come even close to Buddy, and to me that says Buddy is the best player of the 21st century as he is the only player in the last 20 years who is a very very very clear standout in his position.

Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kidding, right?
Exactly, lucky us. I've gotten to see Plugger, Adam Goodes and Buddy playing in red and white (OK, a given with Goodesy!) at the SCG dozens of times. Man oh man. Wouldn't swap a moment of it for anything else.

May 16, 2007
coffs
Other Teams
chess
Exactly, lucky us. I've gotten to see Plugger, Adam Goodes and Buddy playing in red and white (OK, a given with Goodesy!) at the SCG dozens of times. Man oh man. Wouldn't swap a moment of it for anything else.

Football clubs are about premierships.

As for electric footballers, I think Cyril Rioli had Buddy covered comfortably.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kidding, right?

As for electric footballers, I think Cyril Rioli had Buddy covered comfortably.
Wow, there was I thinking I'd derived immense satisfaction watching three great champions running around the paddock year in, year out.
Thanks for setting me straight.

(And gee, thank * for those Swans flags in 2005 and 2012, or I would have been really miserable.)

Last edited:
May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Agree with this analysis, He was easily the best Swan in 2014 and nearly got us over the line against the Swans in 2012.

The real surprise was 2008. His individual season was that good, and his team wasn't expected to win, and he wasn't the star of the show like was in the QF or the final against Adelaide the year earlier.

I'm sure Sydney and Hawthorn don't care who plays well if they are winning flags but I do enjoy a good old fashioned 'won it off his own boot' game. The Bris/Rich QF this year ended up being a blowout but geez Dusty was good.

MVille Swan

Senior List
Aug 13, 2016
Inner West
AFL Club
Sydney

Yes, some people feel that way, but man that is putting all your eggs in one basket. I've seen the six Swans GFs
over the last thirty years and a real lot of wins in the H & A season and other finals that got us into those GFs, and it's the
day-to-day of following the team that I'll take. The two premierships are a bonus.

May 16, 2007
coffs
Other Teams
chess
Wow, there was I thinking I'd derived immense satisfaction watching three great champions running around the paddock year in, year out.
Thanks for setting me straight.

(And gee, thank * for those Swans flags in 2005 and 2012, or I would have been really miserable.)

And just think he could have been a 4 time premiership player. I hope the swans enjoy losing a few more players over the next few years whilst paying out those $1 million dollar salary years of Buddy's contract.

Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kidding, right?
And just think he could have been a 4 time premiership player. I hope the swans enjoy losing a few more players over the next few years whilst paying out those $1 million dollar salary years of Buddy's contract.
Thanks for your concern but I can assure you it's an absolute delight having Buddy Franklin.

AND he's a centimetre taller than Patrick Cripps.

The real surprise was 2008. His individual season was that good, and his team wasn't expected to win, and he wasn't the star of the show like was in the QF or the final against Adelaide the year earlier.

I'm sure Sydney and Hawthorn don't care who plays well if they are winning flags but I do enjoy a good old fashioned 'won it off his own boot' game. The Bris/Rich QF this year ended up being a blowout but geez Dusty was good.

Treats finals like they are season games. 40 touches and not a care in the world.

Best finals player I've ever had the pleasure of watching.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Martin rubs me the wrong way. I mean I found Buddy's arrogance on the field annoying when he played for Hawthorn, but Martin is different as he feels and sort of looks like he would be involved in crime had he not become a footballer, which given who his father is is quite likely. Martin just looks like an unsavoury character. He doesn't look like a nice guy.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Martin rubs me the wrong way. I mean I found Buddy's arrogance on the field annoying when he played for Hawthorn, but Martin is different as he feels and sort of looks like he would be involved in crime had he not become a footballer, which given who his father is is quite likely. Martin just looks like an unsavoury character. He doesn't look like a nice guy.

I just enjoy watching good players. Most of them are ********s.

Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kidding, right?
Not sure why you've brought up Martin in a Buddy thread; maybe I missed a post, but now that you mention it, agree 100%. Can't warm to that guy at all.

I can totally imagine quite enjoying crapping on with Ben Cousins, for example. But Martin? Gives me the willies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back