Past #23 Buddy Franklin - Thanks Buddy

How long will Buddy play for Sydney?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Buddy-Franklin-has-hit-300-games.-Photo-via-Fox-Footys-Facebook-page..jpg

Lance Franklin
Lance Franklin is a giant of the game. The star Sydney Swans forward has played 300 AFL games, won two premierships with Hawthorn, is the seventh-greatest goal-kicker in VFL/AFL history, is one of just five men with eight All Australian blazers and is the most recent player to have kicked 100 goals in a season. The Western Australian is also one of just two players in the game’s history, along with former Swan and Saint Tony Lockett, to have booted 300 goals for two clubs. Franklin was added to a leadership group for the first time in his career ahead of season 2020, joining co-captains Josh Kennedy, Luke Parker and Dane Rampe, as well as Callum Mills. But the 33-year-old, who was named captain of the 2018 All Australian team, has long been considered an exceptional unofficial leader, so great is his impact on Will Hayward, Nick Blakey, Ben Ronke and the rest of Sydney’s young forwards.

Lance Franklin
DOB: 30 January 1987
DEBUT: 2005
DRAFT: #5, 2004 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Dowerin (WA)/Perth (WAFL)/Hawthorn

Last edited by a moderator:

Jesus are you all easily impressed.

What's with all the fellating of this Bruce guy?
What am i missing?
Has he got beer flavoured nipples?

Standard deflection response to avoid addressing the actual issue.

It's like being on Q & A.

You use that word "fellating" in the context of nipples.

I do not think it means what you think it means.

Mmmmmmmm beeerrrr....

You firstly used GAblett as an example indicating his contract as a mistake yeah?

Gablett would be your best Midfielder right now... I'm certain if his contract was up today & he said I want to go to the Saints for $3m over 3 years your club would take it in a heartbeat. So is it overvalued? Really?

Btw, injury shouldn't be factored in as it's something that they couldn't have known about at the time... Taking away the injuries, do you seriously believe Scully, Boyd or Cameron are worth more per year than a fit & firing Ablett? I don't.

Anyway... You then moved on to Buddys contract not being worth it and asked if it was 1.5m from now on.

As has been clearly demonstrated, Buddy probably wouldn't be on 1.5m otherwise he'd have only been paid $333k/year to this point (on avg)... Just seems unrealistic yeah? The media bandy about $1.5m as much as possible to dramatise & inflate the supposed value of the contract (for what underlying reason we all have varying opinions on).

However... Given the increase in the cap, the real effective value of his contract against the cap is reduced. By locking his contract value under the old cap at such a "large" amount (across a considerable period) we have in effect:

- Prevented any potential other club matching it (i.e. under free agency)

- Provided Buddy the incentive to move to us (a sign of faith & stability the other clubs weren't willing to provide him)

- Like a fixed loan, the market rates go up but we've got a previous, lower rate locked in. The risk was the market rates don't go up enough to cover the risk of the length of contract. In this instance, it's starting to sound like the new cap icrease will be substantial enough to call this a win IMO.

- The marketing has been out of this world. Record membership. Stealing new generation fans off of GWS... Brilliant off the field. Just like Plugger, we could be feeling the impact of Buddy long after he's hung the boots up mate.

GAJ has played 27 of a possible 54 games in the last 2 and a bit years.
He's been paid a million bucks a year for those 27 games, averaging career low numbers while his team has finished 16th, 15th, 15th (currently).

In what universe has this been a success for GC?

I'll defer to your obvious expetise in the area of male fellation

It's the English language, actually. Just knowing what words mean. Like knowing the noun for "fellate" is "fellatio". From the Latin "fellare", meaning "to suck".

As to the mechanics of it, sadly I'm from an era where it was not so widely practiced as it evidently is today, so I can't claim any real expertise there. Other than to say the worst one I ever received was bloody fantastic.

Nobody is disputing buddy has been the highest player in the game
:$

The fact is Sydney got a bargain with Buddy.

• The best player in the game.
  • The most marketable player in the game.
  • The most watched player in the game.
  • The most exciting player to watch
  • The most commented player in the media
  • 100% team player
If Buddy was coming off contract now, how much would clubs be willing to pay him per year? There is an extra $2million per year available.

What we will see is a raft of lesser players getting paid more than Buddy, because there is more money floating around. Once again demonstrating the good decision we made.

Saints are after Nat Fyfe for a reported 1.5million. That's a lot of money to pay a guy other players and the general public don't like.

GAJ has played 27 of a possible 54 games in the last 2 and a bit years.
He's been paid a million bucks a year for those 27 games, averaging career low numbers while his team has finished 16th, 15th, 15th (currently).

In what universe has this been a success for GC?
I thought you were arguing if the contract was a good idea or not?? Of course given injury he's not provided the club the kind of performances it was expecting when he signed up... None-the-less, the actual contract & value of the contract when it was signed was market value & worth it IMO.

It'd be the same as me saying to you pick the best midfielder, anyone you want. Young. Old. Tall. Short. Whoever you want.

Right, give me a market value.

Now imagine you got them in based on that value... Great signing, right?

Then they get injured. Couldn't have known it was going to happen. Doesn't mean the initial thinking was wrong or the value wasn't justified. It's just luck.

So if GAb never got injured then his contract would've been a great move & good value for $ IMO.

The fact is Sydney got a bargain with Buddy.

• 100% team player
If Buddy was coming off contract now, how much would clubs be willing to pay him per year? There is an extra $2million per year available.

What we will see is a raft of lesser players getting paid more than Buddy, because there is more money floating around. Once again demonstrating the good decision we made.

Saints are after Nat Fyfe for a reported 1.5million. That's a lot of money to pay a guy other players and the general public don't like.
I wasnt aware that players ,and fans, had a dislike for Fyfe?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I namedrop my granddad a lot on here (he was pretty much the person who single-handedly made me become obsessed with footy as a youngster) and he has always rattled off all the names of the players he saw when he was younger living in Victoria since the late 40's He'd get in his car and drive all around to different ovals to watch any game he could possibly fit into his schedule, and he reckons he's seen over 200 games of all different teams in person. Add to that since he moved to Perth and the broadcasting of football on TV becoming more common, and I believe he's the most informed person I know when it comes to football.

All of this is to say, tonight the words "Buddy is the best forward ever" came out of his mouth. Since I believe my granddad more than d*ckheads paid for their opinions like Slobbo and Mike Sheehan (okay I like him but he's still in the media), I can now only conclude Buddy is the best forward ever.

It's such a shame that our game doesn't get more recognition internationally. Our game has produced so many mind-blowing athletes, and Buddy would just about be the best of them. He deserves to be known around the world, he's that good. If you think MJ, Bolt, Ali, Lebron, Federer, Serena, Phelps... Buddy just fits so nicely amongst those names.

• 100% team player

First just to give my commiserations for the loss and a great contest that it was.

This is an excellent post. People are plain stupid, delusional or in denial if they think that Bud is anything less
than the points you made above. There are probably more you could add.

The best player of the last 20 years by far. He will kick his 1100+ and play 350 games. Hope so as I want to
enjoy the ride for as long as possible. He will be remembered as one of the top 10 or 20 players in history. PERIOD!!!

Anyone who says otherwise is just trolling. The most exciting player I have seen since Brereton and Carey.
Sure there have been some great players but not like this gem.

I am disgruntled that he left Hawks but can not let my disappointment mask what I know to be true.
An absolute megastar in every sense.

Buddy deserves to be the highest player in the game

So bugger off
Last night again showed that he is worth every dollar and more. Contract length may turn out to be an issue but with cap going up buddy is better value than whatever Fyfe, Martin or Kelly end up getting.

Last night again showed that he is worth every dollar and more. Contract length may turn out to be an issue but with cap going up buddy is better value than whatever Fyfe, Martin or Kelly end up getting.

Even if he sits for 3 years he is still worth more than tippett is now

Sorry for the intrusion but Buddy is still one of my favourites. Sure I was hating on him last night when he was kicking goals and setting up others but the guy is just a colossus and far and away the best player in the competition.

Back