Buddy - Halfway through his contract and almost at 100 games for the Swans

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I must admit I intended to create this thread last week but I completely forgot but last week Buddy was officially halfway through his 9 year contract and while the Swans have not won a premiership in that time (of course disappointing) it is still bloody hard to say that Buddy has been anything other than a success at the Swans.

I also should say that when the initial deal was announced I was less than happy, as I did not want Buddy for such a long contract, and such a big contract but it has been such a pleasure seeing him in the red and white and now when I think of Franklin I don't think "ex Hawk". I think he is a Swan through and through and think he is just as much a Swan as Brett Kirk, Adam Goodes or Paul Kelly.

So the stats since 2014

98 games
309 goals
3 times All Australian
4 times Sydney's leading goal kicker
2 Coleman medals (2014 and 2017)

He is also 111 goals from reaching the 1000 goal mark.

So, how have you rated his time at the Swans, and since he has another 4 and a half years to go on his contract how many years do you see him going? Also would you like to guess how many goals he will end up with (currently on 889)?

ALso for reference, he is 31 and a half.

Aug 14, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
No doubt Sydney would do the same deal again in a heartbeat. Was very sceptical when I heard the length of the deal - plenty of players from 2004 are already washed up - but I reckon he’ll at least still be playing at the end of it.

ThaiTiger

Cancelled
May 7, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Funny you brought this up 'cos I was thinking this week whether the Buddy investment has paid off. A great player who left a great team to play for another great team but hasn't found the ultimate success with them despite being the ultimate player. Buddy playing is good for Sydney as he is a drawcard but if they don't snag another Premiership with him was it worth it? Was he better as a star that was an important cog in a great team and has he become too much 'The Man' at Sydney? Have players had to move on because of his contract or the teams need for him to be 'the man' and will that cost the Swans enough that they don't taste the ultimate success with Buddy there? Each year it seems like it's getting further away from the Swans imo. I don't watch the Swans as much as Richmond obviously but when I do Buddy reminds me a bit of Richo when things don't go his way. Must be a lot of pressure on him to be 'The Man' and make it all happen.

Smartest Brain

Premiership Player
Jun 11, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
I feel like the whole buddy thing has impacted the Swans negatively as a whole. But I think he is a positive for Sydney crowds and interest which is good and needed.

Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kidding, right?
Looked pretty bloody good last night.

But overall has been a little off his stellar best this season. The question is whether he’s carrying something, and if so, is it just a niggle that he’ll work through and shine again, or is it a portent of things to come in the second half of his contract. As others have said, only time will tell.

I was dubious about the length of his contract because as we know, when the end comes for a champion it usually comes very fast. So we’ll see.

But the value he’s brought to the club is incalculable (cracked 60,000 members this year, and many attribute much of it to Buddy’s presence), and on a personal level I just couldn’t be happier getting to see one of the all-time greats of the game up close and personal a dozen times a season.

DrEvil_

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 21, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Fantastic player, carried Sydney on his back in many games.

Looked pretty bloody good last night.

But overall has been a little off his stellar best this season. The question is whether he’s carrying something, and if so, is it just a niggle that he’ll work through and shine again, or is it a portent of things to come in the second half of his contract. As others have said, only time will tell.

I was dubious about the length of his contract because as we know, when the end comes for a champion it usually comes very fast. So we’ll see.

But the value he’s brought to the club is incalculable (cracked 60,000 members this year, and many attribute much of it to Buddy’s presence), and on a personal level I just couldn’t be happier getting to see one of the all-time greats of the game up close and personal a dozen times a season.

your team

I look forward to his 1000th goal. 2 1000 goal players at the same club is something else.

I mean does it count when a large chunk came at another club?

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Which good players have moved post-Buddy? Tom Mitchell is the obvious one, but with Sydney's midfield depth and the type of player Mitchell is, it hasn't really been a big loss to Sydney.

They also got Florent from that pick, who's starting to show signs of being a good long-term player in a position they needed to develop a few more young guns in.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Which good players have moved post-Buddy? Tom Mitchell is the obvious one, but with Sydney's midfield depth and the type of player Mitchell is, it hasn't really been a big loss to Sydney.

They also got Florent from that pick, who's starting to show signs of being a good long-term player in a position they needed to develop a few more young guns in.

A bit more complicated but you are essentially right. We got something like pick 14 for Mitchell but we also had pick 17. We traded pick 14 and 17 to Port Adelaide for picks 11 and 20 which did eventually become Florent and Hayward. Still, without pick 14 there is no way we would have gotten Florent as North Melbourne were quite keen on him and he wouldn't have lasted to our original pick 17.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
Gawd when he tore us apart in round 1 it was both compelling to watch as a footy fan but horrible as an eagles fan

Hes simply unstoppable some days and just amazing most others.

Be very interesting to see how the next half of his contract goes - if he slowly just winds down to being a good player sydney have got their moneys worth.

If he ends up spending the last 2 years barely on the field then not.

Unlessof course they pinch a flag with him before then - or better 2 (for them better - not us - THATS OUR GODDAMNED FLAGS IM GIVING AWAY HERE )

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
A bit more complicated but you are essentially right. We got something like pick 14 for Mitchell but we also had pick 17. We traded pick 14 and 17 to Port Adelaide for picks 11 and 20 which did eventually become Florent and Hayward. Still, without pick 14 there is no way we would have gotten Florent as North Melbourne were quite keen on him and he wouldn't have lasted to our original pick 17.

Sounds about right, I thought Florent went a bit earlier than Pick 14.

Decent trade for both parties in the end.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Buying Full Forwards is the Sydney way.

I think there is a good case to be made for buying key forwards and ruckmen as they take ages to develop and are much more of a pick and hope than a midfielder. I mean Boyd and Patton essentially cost GWS two pick 1 selections. Are you telling me that North Melbourne would not consider taking 2 pick 1's for Ben Brown and Ben Brown is worth a lot more as a player than Boyd and Patton combined.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
I think there is a good case to be made for buying key forwards and ruckmen as they take ages to develop and are much more of a pick and hope than a midfielder. I mean Boyd and Patton essentially cost GWS two pick 1 selections. Are you telling me that North Melbourne would not consider taking 2 pick 1's for Ben Brown and Ben Brown is worth a lot more as a player than Boyd and Patton combined.
Nek minnut you draft cale morton wid pik 1

Back