News Buddy & Lloyd - 40-Man AA squad, Buddy named AA captain

Remove this Banner Ad

Churches

Senior List
Aug 6, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Good to see Buddy and Lloyd earn selection in the extended squad.

However I must say it's bitter sweet as i lost all respect for the AA squad.

Stopped caring about this AA team the moment they snubbed JPK in 2017 (3rd in Brownlow voting with 23 votes, lead the league in contested possessions) and selected guys like Selwood ahead of him. People who select this team have no idea.

Thoughts?

Stopped caring about this AA team the moment they snubbed JPK in 2017 (3rd in Brownlow voting with 23 votes, lead the league in contested possessions) and selected guys like Selwood ahead of him. People who select this team have no idea.

Thoughts?
Should be called the 20% All Australian & 80% All Victorian Team. If there is any doubt on a player, swing towards the Vic Club player & you won't cop as much flak from the locals. It's simple selection really.
I was over it years ago.

Thoughts?

Should be called the 20% All Australian & 80% All Victorian Team. If there is any doubt on a player, swing towards the Vic Club player & you won't cop as much flak from the locals. It's simple selection really.
I was over it years ago.
Agree and I have very similar thoughts on the brownlow

Thoughts?
Don't forget Grundy. AV squad can piss off.

Jake lloyd. How good is this guy? Reading his last 4 pages in the 'swans player discussion' thread youd think he was just a reasonable player worthy of trade bait.

Look forward to watching him closer during the finals series.

AA squad is also more and more irrelevant to me the way it has been selected the last few years. Selected by stat counters and people with huge biases in every direction.

People are probably sick of me harping on but Lloyd's play this year has not been AA level at all imo.

He's going to get in though because the 40 man squad only has 3 small defenders... not enough stats this year I guess.

I reckon Lloyd misses out but Buddy makes the team. Bud is the most talked about swans player in Melbourne and what he has done in the last month will get him across the line. Don't think Jake has been hyped up enough in the media to get in. If he does it would be a fantastic result for him. Has probably been our most consistent player all year.

how does kane lambert get in. had a very ordinary year. he was much better last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The All Australian is a joke. Selwood's selection last year, Grimes and Lambert being named, Fyfe, Cunnington and Coniglio NOT being named. It's stuffing diabolical.

But congrats to Bud & Lloyd on the recognition anyway. I suspect that neither will make the final cut. Although I think Lloyd has been the best in the comp at his position (edged Laird for me who had a bit of an average patch in the middle of the year), he doesn't even get his due appreciation by his own supporters, let alone the Victorian media. And Bud's just missed too many games, and there have been a few new flavours of the month that people can't stop obsessing over in his position.

Lloyd slightly surprising, but he does rack them up so good luck to him. Perhaps BT has helped him be noticed as well :p

Hasn't been Buddy's best year but realistically he should still be in ahead of Brown who kinda dropped off.

Lloyd slightly surprising, but he does rack them up so good luck to him. Perhaps BT has helped him be noticed as well :p

Hasn't been Buddy's best year but realistically he should still be in ahead of Brown who kinda dropped off.
Buddy should be in EVERY year - just coz he's Buddy!!!!

I look forward to the day when the VIC whinging stops. No doubt Kennedy should have made the team last year but most of the teams/squads are decent each year.

Franklin the only deserving player for us this year. Lloyd overrated, defensively not that stront.

I look forward to the day when the VIC whinging stops. No doubt Kennedy should have made the team last year but most of the teams/squads are decent each year.

Franklin the only deserving player for us this year. Lloyd overrated, defensively not that stront.

He's certainly nowhere near as strong defensively as the best small defenders (Nick Smith, Neville Jetta), but I think he's comparable to many of the other top rebounding defenders (Lachie Whitfield springs to mind).

IMO Lloyd is sitting in a weird purgatory of being drastically underrated by a lot of Swans' fans and underrated by many others (although that appears to be reducing now he's made the AA squad).

He's certainly nowhere near as strong defensively as the best small defenders (Nick Smith, Neville Jetta), but I think he's comparable to many of the other top rebounding defenders (Lachie Whitfield springs to mind).

IMO Lloyd is sitting in a weird purgatory of being drastically underrated by a lot of Swans' fans and underrated by many others (although that appears to be reducing now he's made the AA squad).

A lot on here probably don't like to admit that Lloyd is such a gun because he directly proves some of the Sydney Swans' Bigfooty board theories wrong.

"Swans have no pace or class or skill" - He is quicker than anyone on here gives him credit for, his disposal efficiency is usually always elite (and then people still want to dismiss that by saying it's irrelevant because his kicks have no penetration, like kicking penetration has ever been brought up with GAJ, Pendlebury, Sam Mitchell etc), and he is constantly mopping up sloppy plays with his composure and confidence.

"Lloyd is poor defensively" - Yet his defensive efforts are frequently lauded by commentators, meanwhile this board will just ignore them as "one-offs", despite those "one-offs" happening a bunch of times in games. He's a great spoil, he can give good body contact, and he sticks with his opponents as much as any other Swan. You see more goals kicked by opponents of Sir Dane and Aliir and Grundy than you do of those on Lloyd.

"Swans are carried by JPK and Buddy" - Lloyd was equal in the B&F with Buddy and AHEAD of Kennedy last year, and now this year he's been in the All Australian squad with Buddy whilst Kennedy was not. Also Lloyd has saved our bacon in games numerous times by being a consistent performer this year and always delivering when even our two usually-consistent superstars have had quietish games.

He is one of our best players. Period.

The All Australian is a joke. Selwood's selection last year, Grimes and Lambert being named, Fyfe, Cunnington and Coniglio NOT being named. It's stuffing diabolical.

But congrats to Bud & Lloyd on the recognition anyway. I suspect that neither will make the final cut. Although I think Lloyd has been the best in the comp at his position (edged Laird for me who had a bit of an average patch in the middle of the year), he doesn't even get his due appreciation by his own supporters, let alone the Victorian media. And Bud's just missed too many games, and there have been a few new flavours of the month that people can't stop obsessing over in his position.
Fyfe missed 7 games so would make it hard for him to get picked. In the games he played he was worthy of selection though.

The only 2 guys in our squad deserving.

Cannot get over how underrated Lloyd is around d here. The comments are bizarre but each to their own

No idea what he has to do to prove himself. In his position he is clearly, without you do one of the best in the game on all metrics. Hence his nomination.

It ain't hard to see why.

Good on him. Gets everything out of himself. Kudos for having the will to do it and I am glad he is on our side.

As I have said before, it will be if he goes we will only then realise what we lost. If it was easy to do what he does there would be a stack of players like him but in reality their are not.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back