News Buddy & Lloyd - 40-Man AA squad, Buddy named AA captain

Remove this Banner Ad

A lot on here probably don't like to admit that Lloyd is such a gun because he directly proves some of the Sydney Swans' Bigfooty board theories wrong.

"Swans have no pace or class or skill" - He is quicker than anyone on here gives him credit for, his disposal efficiency is usually always elite (and then people still want to dismiss that by saying it's irrelevant because his kicks have no penetration, like kicking penetration has ever been brought up with GAJ, Pendlebury, Sam Mitchell etc), and he is constantly mopping up sloppy plays with his composure and confidence.

"Lloyd is poor defensively" - Yet his defensive efforts are frequently lauded by commentators, meanwhile this board will just ignore them as "one-offs", despite those "one-offs" happening a bunch of times in games. He's a great spoil, he can give good body contact, and he sticks with his opponents as much as any other Swan. You see more goals kicked by opponents of Sir Dane and Aliir and Grundy than you do of those on Lloyd.

"Swans are carried by JPK and Buddy" - Lloyd was equal in the B&F with Buddy and AHEAD of Kennedy last year, and now this year he's been in the All Australian squad with Buddy whilst Kennedy was not. Also Lloyd has saved our bacon in games numerous times by being a consistent performer this year and always delivering when even our two usually-consistent superstars have had quietish games.

He is one of our best players. Period.
His defensive effort against poppy on the weekend was piss poor

Fantastic getting it out the back and hitting 20m targets no doubt about it

His defensive effort against poppy on the weekend was piss poor

Fantastic getting it out the back and hitting 20m targets no doubt about it

You just proved my point. Easy to single out moments for certain players but not others. Even key defenders whose jobs require them to be excellent defensively, have as many weak defensive moments as Lloyd.

This board just makes up reasons to not rate Lloyd. He's not even a natural defender yet we're unhappy with his defensive efforts. We don't care that no one else is a penetrating kick yet we're unhappy that Lloyd isn't either.

It's BS imo.

The only 2 guys in our squad deserving.

Cannot get over how underrated Lloyd is around d here. The comments are bizarre but each to their own

No idea what he has to do to prove himself. In his position he is clearly, without you do one of the best in the game on all metrics. Hence his nomination.

It ain't hard to see why.

Good on him. Gets everything out of himself. Kudos for having the will to do it and I am glad he is on our side.

As I have said before, it will be if he goes we will only then realise what we lost. If it was easy to do what he does there would be a stack of players like him but in reality their are not.
Exactly!!! Very under-rated on this board... not sure why. Will be sorely missed if he goes...

Should be called the 20% All Australian & 80% All Victorian Team. If there is any doubt on a player, swing towards the Vic Club player & you won't cop as much flak from the locals. It's simple selection really.
I was over it years ago.
35% of the squad are from the 44% of the teams that are from outside Victoria.

So a slight under-representation. Not surprising considering 3 of the 8 sides (Fremantle, Gold Coast, Brisbane) were absolute trash, and 2 others (Adelaide and Port Adelaide) didn't make the 8.

A lot on here probably don't like to admit that Lloyd is such a gun because he directly proves some of the Sydney Swans' Bigfooty board theories wrong.

"Swans have no pace or class or skill" - He is quicker than anyone on here gives him credit for, his disposal efficiency is usually always elite (and then people still want to dismiss that by saying it's irrelevant because his kicks have no penetration, like kicking penetration has ever been brought up with GAJ, Pendlebury, Sam Mitchell etc), and he is constantly mopping up sloppy plays with his composure and confidence.

"Lloyd is poor defensively" - Yet his defensive efforts are frequently lauded by commentators, meanwhile this board will just ignore them as "one-offs", despite those "one-offs" happening a bunch of times in games. He's a great spoil, he can give good body contact, and he sticks with his opponents as much as any other Swan. You see more goals kicked by opponents of Sir Dane and Aliir and Grundy than you do of those on Lloyd.

"Swans are carried by JPK and Buddy" - Lloyd was equal in the B&F with Buddy and AHEAD of Kennedy last year, and now this year he's been in the All Australian squad with Buddy whilst Kennedy was not. Also Lloyd has saved our bacon in games numerous times by being a consistent performer this year and always delivering when even our two usually-consistent superstars have had quietish games.

He is one of our best players. Period.

He plays a role you can replace , he is consistent that’s for sure, but he isn’t a top 5 player at the comp, dgaf where he finished in the skilton

He is good, but for big bucks he can go imo

He plays a role you can replace , he is consistent that’s for sure, but he isn’t a top 5 player at the comp, dgaf where he finished in the skilton

Could say that about pretty much every Swan besides Buddy. Any player who is not one of a kind is replaceable then, no?

Could say that about pretty much every Swan besides Buddy. Any player who is not one of a kind is replaceable then, no?

No

Outside flank players who are average kicks are easier to find than other spots imo

If Lloyd is so highly regarded as a top swan I’m sure he will get a big contract here

He's certainly nowhere near as strong defensively as the best small defenders (Nick Smith, Neville Jetta), but I think he's comparable to many of the other top rebounding defenders (Lachie Whitfield springs to mind).

IMO Lloyd is sitting in a weird purgatory of being drastically underrated by a lot of Swans' fans and underrated by many others (although that appears to be reducing now he's made the AA squad).

I would say he is drastically overrated by Swans fans not underrated.

No

Outside flank players who are average kicks are easier to find than other spots imo

If Lloyd is so highly regarded as a top swan I’m sure he will get a big contract here

So if he doesn't get a big contract from us he isn't worthy of one?

I guess that explains why we got rid of that spud Mitchell :rolleyes:

So if he doesn't get a big contract from us he isn't worthy of one?

I guess that explains why we got rid of that spud Mitchell :rolleyes:

I’m saying I would not pay him and he is overrated by some, and people who do rate him point to the best and fairest, so I’m saying that’s a fair measure of the clubs thoughts as to wether he is paid the bucks or not]

He is replaceable and not worth big bucks imo, but I also would rather debate it in the thread about him, and not take away from this achievement

I’m saying I would not pay him and he is overrated by some, and people who do rate him point to the best and fairest, so I’m saying that’s a fair measure of the clubs thoughts as to wether he is paid the bucks or not]

He is replaceable and not worth big bucks imo, but I also would rather debate it in the thread about him, and not take away from this achievement

Agreed there shouldn't even be a debate in here in the first place. The fact so many seem triggered that a Swan is getting recognition is a laugh.

Agreed there shouldn't even be a debate in here in the first place. The fact so many seem triggered that a Swan is getting recognition is a laugh.

He deserves a spot in the squad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shits me to tears at times with his poor one on one efforts but he knocks up getting it and for a back line that at times looks stuck in quick sand he does create some run. I agree about the big bucks but for the role he plays if he goes our best 22 will be the weaker for it.

35% of the squad are from the 44% of the teams that are from outside Victoria.

So a slight under-representation. Not surprising considering 3 of the 8 sides (Fremantle, Gold Coast, Brisbane) were absolute trash, and 2 others (Adelaide and Port Adelaide) didn't make the 8.
Yeah I know. I stopped taking it seriously a few years ago when I learned that each player in tbe team gets a nice little bonus if they make it & take Reg Grundy for example. He's never made tge squad of 40 if I'm not mistaken. It's subject to manipulation.
Only my opinion though.

Shits me to tears at times with his poor one on one efforts but he knocks up getting it and for a back line that at times looks stuck in quick sand he does create some run. I agree about the big bucks but for the role he plays if he goes our best 22 will be the weaker for it.

Agree, don’t get me wrong hope he stays , and takes a fair deal

This is exactly where I sit with Lloyd. I also wouldn't want to drastically overpay for him - as many others have said, you can approximate or replace a rebounding half back flanker more easily than many other positions - but our side will absolutely be weaker for losing him if he leaves in the short term.

I suspect if he did leave the club would slot O'Riordan into his place and let him grow.

Pop quiz (no googling!)

3 players, 2 former and 1 current, share the record for most All Australian selections. Can you name them? The current one should be fairly easy

Clue: it isn't Franklin, but Franklin could match them if selected this year

Pop quiz (no googling!)

3 players, 2 former and 1 current, share the record for most All Australian selections. Can you name them? The current one should be fairly easy

Clue: it isn't Franklin, but Franklin could match them if selected this year
Ohhhh.

Goodes?

EDIT: Drats.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back