• Buddy

Votes: 33 24.4%
  • Ablett Snr

Votes: 102 75.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

statwise there is not much in it

View attachment 1455015

buddy stands out for longevity, GAS for goals per game (despite not being FF for most of his career) but everything else is equal
Heaps in the stats. Harder to kick goals now but much much easier to get disposals. On pure talent, Ablett easy. Was a battle to even get him to training but was so naturally gifted it didn't matter.

I think Ablett would have been a mid if started his career 20 years later.

Buddy, it’s not really close. Kicked more goals in a harder era, has a way better finals record, won a flag, double the amount of AAs.

GAS was more “flashy” but really people who think GAS was better is cause of nostalgia. GAS was a finals failure unlike Buddy.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Haha finals failure! 89 finals series and GF? I mean 94 & 95 GF’s he is turning 33 & 34 years of age respectively and the ball didn’t get down the cats forward line much! Buddy hardly dominated finals ever..

Buddy, it’s not really close. Kicked more goals in a harder era, has a way better finals record, won a flag, double the amount of AAs.

GAS was more “flashy” but really people who think GAS was better is cause of nostalgia. GAS was a finals failure unlike Buddy.

Congratulations, you posted about 5 reasons why Buddy is better and still managed to get 10 things wrong.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt because you're obviously about 12 years old.

Go to YouTube, there's hours of vision of Ablett Snr

Gary Ablett senior holds the record for the most goals kicked in a single finals series and the most goals kicked in a Grand Final.
Hardly a failure.

89 was great, unfortunately my nan could’ve played better in his other finals series.

94 GF: 1 mark 1 goal

95 GF: 2 marks 0 goals

In no world should he be seen as a better player than Buddy unless you are referring solely to the H&A season. Period.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt because you're obviously about 12 years old.

Go to YouTube, there's hours of vision of Ablett Snr

I have isn’t the 89 GF his best? But tbh I’ve had enough of seeing him lose. His Norm Smith medal speech is becoming a meme at this point.

Haha finals failure! 89 finals series and GF? I mean 94 & 95 GF’s he is turning 33 & 34 years of age respectively and the ball didn’t get down the cats forward line much! Buddy hardly dominated finals ever..

He dominated 1 of his 6 ish finals series and shat the bed in 3/4 GFs. Like how much worse can you get? Next level is like G Rohan

89 was great, unfortunately my nan could’ve played better in his other finals series.

94 GF: 1 mark 1 goal

95 GF: 2 marks 0 goals

In no world should he be seen as a better player than Buddy unless you are referring solely to the H&A season. Period.

Franklin's GF record is no glowing endorsement of him as a player.
Scarlett kept him all but anonymous in '08, and in 2016 he was hobbling around with an ankle issue.
He did kick 4 inconsequential goals in the 2014 GF, but Sydney were never really in that match.
Franklin's had some great finals moments, but to pretend that Gary Ablett didn't is a joke. He kicked more goals in one GF than Franklin did in 3.

Ablett's 1989 finals performance alone enshrines his legend; 27 goals in 4 weeks, it will never be topped.

Ablett played reasonably well in the '92 GF, and of course he had many other great finals moments, like the 5 goals from a forward flank against the Dogs in '92 (including two booming left foot goals), or the 6-goal haul to lead Geelong to an upset over Carlton at Waverley in '94 - I think he kicked at least 4 goals in the first quarter.

Ablett was a superstar, a match-winner and one of the most watchable players ever to play the game.

I respect Buddy's achievements and acknowledge that he has been a uniquely talented player, but Ablett's creativity and match-winning ability - and I saw him win a heap of games off his own boot - give him a pretty comfortable edge. In my opinion.

He dominated 1 of his 6 ish finals series and shat the bed in 3/4 GFs. Like how much worse can you get? Next level is like G Rohan

Just blatant trolling and derailing what could be a pretty good debate. Boring.

Ablett played in 4 Finals series, btw, with plenty of match-defining games among those Finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just blatant trolling and derailing what could be a pretty good debate. Boring.

Ablett played in 4 Finals series, btw, with plenty of match-defining games among those Finals.

No it was 6. The 4 GF series and 91 and 96.

91: 1 x EF 0 goals

96: 1 x QF 1 goal

See even you forgot these 2 finals series, I wouldn’t blame you they are both crap. 91 was still in his prime to lol. As you can see I’m not trolling at all, GAS fans just don’t like hearing it.

Last edited:
No it was 6. The 4 GF series and 91 and 96.

91: 1 x EF 0 goals

96: 1 x QF 1 goal

See even you forgot these 2 finals series, I wouldn’t blame you they are both crap. 91 was still in his prime to lol. As you can see I’m not trolling at all, GAS fans just don’t like hearing it.

You're right - '91 he'd come back after a year off, no pre-season. I have forgotten the '96 final!

Still, you won't acknowledge that he played one of the all-time great Finals series in 1989, and had numerous other great finals moments.

My overall point that the 1989 enshrines his legend stands.

Never saw Ablett Snr play to be honest but from pure statistics Ablett was the third best goal kicker of his own era while Buddy was so far ahead of other key forwards in his era that it is not funny.
He’s the only guy in history to kick over 1000 goals having not played exclusively as a key forward….And if you’re going on statistics it’s probably fair to mention he holds the record for the amount of goals kicked in a finals series, & in a grand final.

He averaged 4 goals a game in finals, basically identical to his career, & also at a higher average than Dunstall in finals who played for arguably the greatest team of all time. But seeing as though you’re a tigers fan I know why you don’t like Ablett, he took the piss out of you blokes his whole career.

You're right - '91 he'd come back after a year off, no pre-season. I have forgotten the '96 final!

Still, you won't acknowledge that he played one of the all-time great Finals series in 1989, and had numerous other great finals moments.

My overall point that the 1989 enshrines his legend stands.

I agree for that 1 year it’s one of the best if not the best season ever but you have to take into account his whole body of work not just what suits you. This thread is not GAS from 1989 v Buddy

He averaged 4 goals a game in finals, basically identical to his career, & also at a higher average than Dunstall in finals who played for arguably the greatest team of all time. But seeing as though you’re a tigers fan I know why you don’t like Ablett, he took the piss out of you blokes his whole career.

I wasn’t alive when he was taking the piss out of us so I don’t have an issue with him. I’ve seen his replays and read his stats, Buddy is objectively better in his overall career even though some of GAS’s peak years were better.

And he would have 400 less if he played against team defences instead of 1v1.

You make it sound like a negative to have played football decades ago. In 25 years time, today's defensive standards will not look too shabby either so do we knock Buddy for that?

No player could flip a game on its head as profoundly as what Ablett could. Get beaten for half a game and then in the space of 15 minutes, bust a game wide open.

I asked Denis Pagan how 'Pagan's paddock' would have gone had he had Ablett instead of Carey and he said he would have been just as sensational.

I think if Buddy played in Ablett Snr era he would have kicked a lot more goals.

People always favor the previous generations.
If picking a team for them to play the next 10-15 years I'm picking Buddy because of his size, athleticism.

You make it sound like a negative to have played football decades ago. In 25 years time, today's defensive standards will not look too shabby either so do we knock Buddy for that?

No player could flip a game on its head as profoundly as what Ablett could. Get beaten for half a game and then in the space of 15 minutes, bust a game wide open.

I asked Denis Pagan how 'Pagan's paddock' would have gone had he had Ablett instead of Carey and he said he would have been just as sensational.

Big difference is the team defence aspect which started from the Clarkson hawks, there won’t be a drastic change like that again in footy imo. Pagans Paddock is not even close to resembling this.

I think team defences started under Kevin Sheedy at the Bombers... in the 90s? With the introduction of the zone defence guarding an area instead of manning up.

Maybe but even if that’s true it was no way near to the level of the hawks era. Even if you look at the lions 01-03 team they played very 1v1. List talent was the only way your team could win a flag, nowadays inferior lists with better systems mostly win. Richmond 17-20 is the best example of this.

Big difference is the team defence aspect which started from the Clarkson hawks, there won’t be a drastic change like that again in footy imo. Pagans Paddock is not even close to resembling this.

It will evolve to another level entirely and that will be solely due to the continual progression of athletic performance. Players will be stronger and bigger in 25 years time.

And did you ever see Wallace's Bulldogs in the early 00's?
That was when the evolution of defensive structures took a new turn (for the worse). Not Clarkson's cluster.

Back