Rumour Buddy to retire at seasons end?

Remove this Banner Ad

Maddo11

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 17, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Buddy's per game averages for this year equate to 121 marks (42 contested marks) and 59 goals when spread out across 22 games. Pretty decent for a bloke that people are talking about retiring.

He'll play out his contract. If he gets a decent injury in his last year he might pull the pin early but he'll play it out.

He could barely get out of second gear in the second half, still took 5 marks, 2 goals. Laid 3 tackles.

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
He'll play out his contract. If he gets a decent injury in his last year he might pull the pin early but he'll play it out.

He could barely get out of second gear in the second half, still took 5 marks, 2 goals. Laid 3 tackles.
Look set for a big pre season and hopefully a big 2020.

It might not be a "pass" from a pure dollars-and-cents perspective, but if Buddy can play 20+ games and kick 50+ goals next year, you'd have to say that's a great season for the age and stage of his career he's at.

Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
I have complete confidence buddy will see out his contract.

However if for some reason he pulls the pin early i have no doubt the swans are already aware of some loop hole that will get the money out of the cap.

Time and time again the afl have proven to be unproffessional and incompetent and whether you agree with things like cola or not, time and time again the swans have proven to be shrewd operators and a step ahead of the afl. It would be silly for the afl to go to "war" with the swans.

Prime example was the " tampering" the swans did in last years draft to hide their 2nd pick from beung used in for the blakey points

Aug 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Timberwolves, Crystal Palace
Surely the Swans loaded this contract heavily in the early to middle years so there won’t be a massive loss in years 7,8 & 9.

Buddy will play next season but wouldn’t be surprised if he retires in 12 months time when he has fully broken down and his contract only being valued around $600k per year.....

What was reported was

Early years Structured to be around 700k the first 3 years. They had Kennedy on a big deal, Tippett on a huge $$$, Malceski, Jack, Reid (Remember when he played like 7 good games, and Sydney Panic Signed him)

Over the middle years it was roughly 1M a season.

From the 2019-2020-2021 was the big one. As Sydney had structured. It would be that Franklin was on the big $$$. 2020 was the year which was reported was the peak of his contract, 1.5M dollars, Before 2021 went down to 650k.

I Still think he was worth the 10m 9 year deal, Obviously we can crow about it now because he may of had his worst year since 09, But he had a fantastic 2018 and im not going to call it after one bad year after the career he has had so far.

I personally think he's probably carrying too much weight. He wouldnt be as effective if he dropped 10 kilos however IMO would prolong his career

matthew_s

Premiership Player
Aug 19, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
I personally think he's probably carrying too much weight. He wouldnt be as effective if he dropped 10 kilos however IMO would prolong his career

This.

Seeing all the career highlight packages last week for his 300th, it was obvious he must be 10-15kg heavier than he could be. Would absolutely prolong his career.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
What was reported was

Early years Structured to be around 700k the first 3 years. They had Kennedy on a big deal, Tippett on a huge $$$, Malceski, Jack, Reid (Remember when he played like 7 good games, and Sydney Panic Signed him)

Over the middle years it was roughly 1M a season.

From the 2019-2020-2021 was the big one. As Sydney had structured. It would be that Franklin was on the big $$$. 2020 was the year which was reported was the peak of his contract, 1.5M dollars, Before 2021 went down to 650k.

I Still think he was worth the 10m 9 year deal, Obviously we can crow about it now because he may of had his worst year since 09, But he had a fantastic 2018 and im not going to call it after one bad year after the career he has had so far.

We are ahead of any other club when it comes to this stuff.

We are easily covering his contract with the annual increases due to the new pay deal struck in 2017.

"Under the new six-year pay deal, the players will receive the following increases: 20 per cent in 2017, then 1.2 per cent (2018), 1.3 per cent (2019), and 2 per cent in each of the last three years (2020-2022).
"The player salary cap has increased from $10.37m to $12.45m per club ($224m in total) in 2017, while the average player wage will go from $309,000 to $371,000."

So in other words, any increase in Buddy's contract in these final years has been easily offset by the increase in the total cap.
Buddy in 2020 & 2021 is reported to be on $1.5M then back to $1M in his final year 2022.
The total cap in 2016 was $10.37M & by the end of Bud's contract it will be $13.54M....................so suddenly we have an extra $3.17M to accommodate these reported increases in Buddy's salary.
Now the best part for the Swans now is that at going into season 2020, we have Tippett, McVeigh, Jack, Grundy & Smith all retired so let's assume that they were on 400K each, that's another $2M free to pay for any increases to any of our remaining young stars & Buddy.

Make no mistake, if anyone really believes that the Swans are mugs with this sort of stuff, they need to think again & it's about time people actually did their sums on how many other clubs have multiple players on 900K to $1.2 M on their books.

I have also heard that even though Buddy is on $1.5M in these next few years, a fair portion of it includes out of cap payments for marketing in a non traditional AFL state. Now if we are going to speculate, I reckon we should speculate how much of his salary is outside the cap.

Just some thoughts not necessarily just directed at you Upgrayedd.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

JammoMonty

Club Legend
Oct 1, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
I didn’t realise he hasn’t played since round 14 last year. If he retires now, does his contract salary still get honoured or is there some sort of severance pay?

matthew_s

Premiership Player
Aug 19, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
I didn’t realise he hasn’t played since round 14 last year. If he retires now, does his contract salary still get honoured or is there some sort of severance pay?

Doesn't he become a 'coach' ?

Either way the AFL said it will count in Sydney's salary cap...I'm sure they will stick to their word...

dazedjosh

Cancelled
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
Sydney

All Free Agency contracts need to be paid in full on the original schedule.

It's part of the reason why Brisbane are looking to trade for Daniher rather than sign him as a free agent. If they offer Daniher a 5 year deal a a free agent and he breaks down during that deal and he has to retire, they're stuck with that deal for the full 5 years. However, if they trade for him and he breaks down, then they can negotiate a payout with Daniher and his agent so that he comes off their books early, and doesn't count against the cap.

That's the risk of signing free agents on big deals.

Two things that should be noted
1 - This only applies to free agents that move clubs. So if Jeremy Cameron re-signs with GWS (though we all know that won't happen, let's just use it as an example) then his contract with GWS wouldn't have the same restrictions on it as he hadn't moved clubs.
2 - This only applies to the initial contract. So if Daniher signs for the Lions as a free agent, and gets through his initial contract and signs a new one, that new contract is exempt from these restrictions as he is then considered a re-signing rather than a free agent.

In the case of Franklin, he's on our books until the end of the 2022 season. However that's not a massive problem for us, as we're currently running at the salary cap floor due to the numerous veteran departures we've had over the last couple of seasons. All of the replacements we've brought in have been at the lower end of the scale. Leaving us a heap of room to hit free agency again in 2021 and 2022 when we've got two years of minimum cap banked. Similar to what Carlton did last year and this year, when they front ended Jack Martin's deal and still have space to pursue guys like Williams.

RAPPA

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 20, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Buddy just easing himself into his next role as a garbo- has shown some good form in his bin handling technique

07CB673F-4E2B-4BF3-A662-543D7F4150B1.jpeg

Jul 27, 2020
AFL Club
Sydney

The reason for this is to stop shenanigans. I think the NHL at one stage didn't have this requirement, and a popular team would make a huge offer to restricted free agent, and then re-negotiate the contract down.

For Buddy's deal, Hawthorn had the chance to match it. So to change it afterwards would be unfair on Hawthorn, as they said no to the original terms, not any new terms.

Feb 9, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal

Just to correct you (the remainder of your post is pretty much spot on), the contract does not need to be paid in full. Buddy could quit/retire tomorrow and Sydney could stop paying him from tomorrow. However, the contract remains applied against Sydney's TPP cap, paid or not.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back