Injury Buddy's Health - Out for the season

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The AFL has confirmed that the Swans must include Franklin's contract terms in each of the nine years of the contract, irrespective of how long he plays.
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...n-later-years-of-megadeal-20131009-2v8qk.html

Franklin is now officially a Swan after the league begrudgingly ticked off the Sydney deal despite describing it as an ''extraordinary risk''.

But every cent of the $10 million deal will be in the club's salary cap, even if he suffers a career-ending injury as soon as this month's International Rules series.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...ng-the-mega-deal/story-fn69a32t-1226734330365

Many other sources about this too. The league made very sure we knew exactly what the conditions were.

So are you maintaining the AFL cannot change their minds or bring in special rules under special circumstances on a whim?
Considering how unhappy they were with us signing him, and how much effort they made to make the conditions so clear, what evidence do you have that they would want to change their minds for our benefit?

Considering how unhappy they were with us signing him, and how much effort they made to make the conditions so clear, what evidence do you have that they would want to change their minds for our benefit?
Absolutely none. So what? They brought in a trade ban with no evidential or preliminary notice and with no precedence.

Which does not change my thoughts and beliefs one iota IF it hypothetically happened this year and Buddy walked away.

I said something similar at the time of the contract if, for instance, he was killed or injured permanently in a non football related incident.

And I also pointed out my thoughts were not based on our benefit. They were based on a corporate brand enforcing a rule biased against mental health issues.

The negative stories write themselves. It would not be pretty.

SJW idiots on Twitter have caused harder back downs than this would be. Totally different of course in year 7 or 8 of the contract.

Absolutely none. So what? They brought in a trade ban with no evidential or preliminary notice and with no precedence.

Which does not change my thoughts and beliefs one iota IF it hypothetically happened this year and Buddy walked away.

I said something similar at the time of the contract if, for instance, he was killed or injured permanently in a non football related incident.

And I also pointed out my thoughts were not based on our benefit. They were based on a corporate brand enforcing a rule biased against mental health issues.

SJW idiots on Twitter have caused harder back downs than this would be. Totally different of course in year 7 or 8 of the contract.

I think you are spot on, but the AFL will still try it on to see how far they can get it.

I dont care if he takes 3 years to get over this or never plays again. As long as he gets better. Mental illness destroys lives and families in more ways than we think. His health comes well and truely before football

Absolutely. If his career was to end particularly early through an extraordinary event, the AFL would likely step in rather than leaving the club crippled for the better part of a decade.

If it ends later in the contract, for whatever reason, there'd be a lot less sympathy for Sydney's position, and rightly so.

Noticed that too. Seemed pretty determined to move onto the next question.
I hope you don't mind the intrusion, but just wanted to say that hopefully with the definitive `no' given by Longmire, the media will move on a bit this week to the next `big story' and will stop camping outside Buddy's house etc. (deplorable). The will-he-play-or-won't-he conjecture that would otherwise have eventuated would just have fueled things further. Just give the guy some space and a chance to get better!
I was pretty upset when Buddy left Hawthorn - I'd watched him debut and just loved seeing him in our colours - but now all I want is for him to, firstly, get better and then, when he's up to it, get back out there and dominate again (even in red and white o_O).
Good luck for next Saturday.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's good friends with Ruby Rose and she went over to the States a year or so ago for mental health treatment. Just physically getting away from Australia could be good for him (and others who are in the public eye). I really hope he gets better - very sad.

Hope thats true

I just want to see him out there fit and firing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back