Buddy's regret

How would you characterise his decision?

• Understandable at the time

Votes: 22 61.1%
  • One that would lead to regrets

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • An unmitigated disaster

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • A nightmare from which he cannot leave

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Should have gone to GWS and married Jessinta

Votes: 5 13.9%

• Total voters

Luv_our_club

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This is just a thread based on Hawthorn fans wishing that Buddy regretted his decision.

Has read as a pretty reasonable debate to me.

i think we can only guess at the additional reasons he left Melbourne. Money was not the only lure. I doubt that's why he sat down with Sydney at the start of 2013.

IMO he would have mixed emotions. It wouldn't have been easy for him watching his best friends win 2 GFs, esp 2014.

Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Has read as a pretty reasonable debate to me.

i think we can only guess at the additional reasons he left Melbourne. Money was not the only lure. I doubt that's why he sat down with Sydney at the start of 2013.

IMO he would have mixed emotions. It wouldn't have been easy for him watching his best friends win 2 GFs, esp 2014.
It's not so much that the Hawks won - its the repeated close range losses of GFs. 2016 and 2017 were chances for redemption. That's gotta hurt particularly when the Hawks were quite adept at seeking redemption in 2014!!

Mar 11, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Isn't he getting $6.4 million over the last 5 years of the contract or precisely $5.7 million over the next 4 years and $0.7 million in the last year? With Tippett on huge money as well underperforming their depth won't be as strong over the next 3-4 years, surely their best chance to win a flag has passed by. Looks like a few players are perennial finals chokers as well.

The way Sydney & Buddy went about the move I can't say I'll be disappointed if they miss out on a flag.

HawkNation

Senior List
Sep 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Buddy will go out one of the greats of the era either way. Hawks weren't offering anything like the dough he's on, nor the length of the contract. He's still been part of a successful side at Sydney. As much as we all think players play for flags and nothing else, he's won two. The third and fourth would have been great but let's be honest - there's no way they'd mean as much as the first two.

Sydney would be happy too. Incredibly he's looking more and more like he might still be offering value close to the end of the deal. They would regret the Tippett move though. Has played some solid home and away footy but generally he's been unreliable, injury prone and a grand final flop.

No he hasn't.

Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Isn't he getting $6.4 million over the last 5 years of the contract or precisely $5.7 million over the next 4 years and $0.7 million in the last year? With Tippett on huge money as well underperforming their depth won't be as strong over the next 3-4 years, surely their best chance to win a flag has passed by. Looks like a few players are perennial finals chokers as well.

The way Sydney & Buddy went about the move I can't say I'll be disappointed if they miss out on a flag.
The window is definintely smaller than it used to be.

Mar 11, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hawthorn's contribution comes from the misery of gambling addicts & the Tasmanian tax payer & it is this that has taken you from the point of extinction masked as a merger with the Melbourne football club. Your football club's heart is only beating artificially because it has been plugged into poker machines for all these 'successful years' off field.
http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/hawthorn-tops-the-pokies-losses-ladder-20160404-gnxys2.html

"Hawthorn might be sitting at seventh place on the AFL ladder at the moment, but when it comes to poker machines it sits comfortably on top.
Almost a quarter of the $92.6 million that Victorian punters lost at pokies venues connected with AFL clubs last year went into Hawthorn's machines."

No seriously mate, you can't make this sh.t up.

"Deakin University associate professor of Public Health Samantha Thomas said AFL clubs had not "stepped up and been accountable" for the harm their poker machines caused the community."

The Family Club?

Indeed!

Yeah it's great. I can't lose. When I'm down the pub I'll always drop an extra $50 for my beloved Hawks. Well they get most of it.

Breakdown

$30 Hawks next flag tilt
$10 Taxman
$4 Swannies stay afloat thru equalisation fund
$3 Budwahs lifestyle
$2 COLA Academies
$1 Secret COLA Ambassador payments

You should be thankful for our pokie machines.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Yeah it's great. I can't lose. When I'm down the pub I'll always drop an extra $50 for my beloved Hawks. Well they get most of it.

Breakdown

$30 Hawks next flag tilt
$10 Taxman
$4 Swannies stay afloat thru equalisation fund
$3 Budwahs lifestyle
$2 COLA Academies
$1 Secret COLA Ambassador payments

You should be thankful for our pokie machines.

I suppose Travis Cloke got a regular paying gig on The Footy Show because of his articulate and insightful thoughts on the game didn't he?

Spook

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 19, 2003
Top of the pile looking down
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Claremont
Buddy left Melbourne to be with his Beautiful, talented, caring (best help with his depression/addiction) girlfriend, now wife. If, as I believe, he is totally in love living a great and healthy life in a beautiful city and plays footy for a mill a year...... I doubt he regrets anything.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Buddy left Melbourne to be with his Beautiful, talented, caring (best help with his depression/addiction) girlfriend, now wife. If, as I believe, he is totally in love living a great and healthy life in a beautiful city and plays footy for a mill a year...... I doubt he regrest anything.

Also I am willing to bet Buddy was/is being hounded a lot less by the press and public in Sydney than he was in Melbounre. He would probably still get recognised reasonably often in Sydney but he would also have times where he could go to the shops and buy some bread without having anyone approach him. Given his battles with depression it probably helped a lot being in a city where he could escape the public eye.

I reckon it's not so much Buddy's regret (after all he is a premiership player) but the regret of teammates at Sydney who are being told each year, "Sorry no pay rise for you. It's all going to Buddy". Mumford & Mitchell were early casualties. Who will be next to move to greener pastures?

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I reckon it's not so much Buddy's regret (after all he is a premiership player) but the regret of teammates at Sydney who are being told each year, "Sorry no pay rise for you. It's all going to Buddy". Mumford & Mitchell were early casualties. Who will be next to move to greener pastures?

With the raise of the salary cap it is not so much of an issue as the percentage of the cap going to Buddy's contract is actually lower now than it was in 2014 despite Buddy being on more money now than he was in 2014.

Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Again negligent...martin got 7 years opposed to 10...the cap will increase again at the back end of the deals thus reducing the % each player will take.

Our cap is no more crippled than the likes of richmond, freo and gws/north.. and no doubt the next few clubs who pull the same sort of the thing in the next year or so

Hawker55

Club Legend
Mar 17, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Everton, Denver Broncos
With the raise of the salary cap it is not so much of an issue as the percentage of the cap going to Buddy's contract is actually lower now than it was in 2014 despite Buddy being on more money now than he was in 2014.

That's what I thought. Is Tippett on much coin?

Wesley2

Premiership Player
May 22, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Buddy has fulfilled 4 years of his 9 year contract. If he can get another 3 years of top quality football then I think he will have done everything the Swans would have wanted of him.

The other 2 years would still need to be included in the Swans TPP. We don't really know how the payments are loaded but that's still approx. 2 mill over 2 years the Swans will not have access to if he doesn't play. Big risk.

Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
The other 2 years would still need to be included in the Swans TPP. We don't really know how the payments are loaded but that's still approx. 2 mill over 2 years the Swans will not have access to if he doesn't play. Big risk.
We probably should have gone the complete home run non risk deal like trading away multiple first rounders for jaeger omeara

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney

Here is the payments

1381334400000.jpg

So 2020 and 2021 are the big years, but the salary cap is quite a bit higher in 2021 than it was in 2014 so percentage wise he would be taking up less of the cap in 2021 than he was in 2014 (or at the very least 2017).

Back