Buddy's regret

How would you characterise his decision?

• Understandable at the time

Votes: 22 61.1%
  • One that would lead to regrets

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • An unmitigated disaster

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • A nightmare from which he cannot leave

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Should have gone to GWS and married Jessinta

Votes: 5 13.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah it's great. I can't lose. When I'm down the pub I'll always drop an extra $50 for my beloved Hawks. Well they get most of it.

Breakdown

$30 Hawks next flag tilt
$10 Taxman
$4 Swannies stay afloat thru equalisation fund
$3 Budwahs lifestyle
$2 COLA Academies
$1 Secret COLA Ambassador payments

You should be thankful for our pokie machines.

You really need to get over your Sydney Swans infatuation mate.
What is it you are fearing from little old South Melbourne/Swans.
We're harmless. Don't worry about us & just shuffle along now.

Yep. Do you reckon he will win a flag in the next 5 years?
was not he playing lame, in this game? if he was playing on the Hawks and a key component of a front six, even if his role was lessoned like malcolm blight did at adelaide w modra, if he was an integral member of the front six, and he walks onto the park lame, they may well still lose (hawks).

if he stays, they may have lost the three flags in a row which they won, because the other players stepped up in his absence, like richmond get better without delidio, and adelaide get better without dangerfield, it could be argued placing a better than average AFL player in the boots buddy filled at the hawks, and get them to be a significant part playing a role in the hawks 22, made glenferrie a better team. take out the best player this decade, maybe, THE best player, replace with a role player, a paradox of the team's winning potency.

Now, I for one instance dont believe Buddy went up to Sydney to escape Melbourne, he lapped up alot of what the fame and adulation offered. He went up to live a Bondi lifestyle, and still access a Sydney fame. I dont buy the reason he was booked into a sanitorium, i assume that was in lieu of ban for third strike for blow. much more realistic tale, that whatever AFL house or pickering served up, or the sexual innuendo figbooty served us.

was not he playing lame, in this game? if he was playing on the Hawks and a key component of a front six, even if his role was lessoned like malcolm blight did at adelaide w modra, if he was an integral member of the front six, and he walks onto the park lame, they may well still lose (hawks).

if he stays, they may have lost the three flags in a row which they won, because the other players stepped up in his absence, like richmond get better without delidio, and adelaide get better without dangerfield, it could be argued placing a better than average AFL player in the boots buddy filled at the hawks, and get them to be a significant part playing a role in the hawks 22, made glenferrie a better team. take out the best player this decade, maybe, THE best player, replace with a role player, a paradox of the team's winning potency.

Now, I for one instance dont believe Buddy went up to Sydney to escape Melbourne, he lapped up alot of what the fame and adulation offered. He went up to live a Bondi lifestyle, and still access a Sydney fame. I dont buy the reason he was booked into a sanitorium, i assume that was in lieu of ban for third strike for blow. much more realistic tale, that whatever AFL house or pickering served up, or the sexual innuendo figbooty served us.
If the Crows win it this year your paradox is forever nailed. I reckon the Crows are going to go aleshit against Geelong this week

The other 2 years would still need to be included in the Swans TPP. We don't really know how the payments are loaded but that's still approx. 2 mill over 2 years the Swans will not have access to if he doesn't play. Big risk.

I've always found this article amusing on behalf of the AFL & I think herein lies the answer to many of our questions about the mystery of what Buddy's payments consist of & why we may have received the trading ban from Mike Thatfatprick. What proportion of Bud's contract did Pickering include as NSW ambassador payments in it? Who really knows?

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/buddy-must-earn-pay-as-ambassador-20130720-2qbat.html

What the f . . k does this part mean?

"AFL boss Andrew Demetriou says Lance Franklin must prove he is willing to earn his keep should he seek an ambassadorial contract.
Franklin could receive a lucrative deal outside of the salary cap should he join Greater Western Sydney and be willing to promote the sport in the northern state. Demetriou also opened the door to Hawthorn inquiring about an ambassadorial role for its champion forward, should he want to remain at the club."

How could Buddy staying at Hawthorn have promoted the game in NSW?
I have no doubt the Swans & Pickering have included Ambassador payments in Buds contract & Buddy has no doubt re-payed the AFL tenfold with his move to the Sydney Swans.
Now the question is, what do the last few years of his contract consist of?
Who really knows because no one knows how the hell the AFL make up this s**t judging by this other comment from Demetriou.

"''If Buddy Franklin decided he wanted to be an ambassador for AFL football, and we saw some merit and some return on the investment, and it might be an ambassadorial role for some particular area that he wanted, and he is prepared to do the work, we will talk to him. [But] we would talk to Joel Selwood, we would talk to Trent Cotchin, to be honest.''

The Swans were just a step ahead of everyone & we embarrassed the AFL & are holding them to Demetriou's word.
No regrets for Buddy, no regrets for the Swans & without a doubt, no regrets for the AFL.

I've always found this article amusing on behalf of the AFL & I think herein lies the answer to many of our questions about the mystery of what Buddy's payments consist of & why we may have received the trading ban from Mike Thatfatprick. What proportion of Bud's contract did Pickering include as NSW ambassador payments in it? Who really knows?

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/buddy-must-earn-pay-as-ambassador-20130720-2qbat.html

What the f . . k does this part mean?

"AFL boss Andrew Demetriou says Lance Franklin must prove he is willing to earn his keep should he seek an ambassadorial contract.
Franklin could receive a lucrative deal outside of the salary cap should he join Greater Western Sydney and be willing to promote the sport in the northern state. Demetriou also opened the door to Hawthorn inquiring about an ambassadorial role for its champion forward, should he want to remain at the club."

How could Buddy staying at Hawthorn have promoted the game in NSW?
I have no doubt the Swans & Pickering have included Ambassador payments in Buds contract & Buddy has no doubt re-payed the AFL tenfold with his move to the Sydney Swans.
Now the question is, what do the last few years of his contract consist of?
Who really knows because no one knows how the hell the AFL make up this s**t judging by this other comment from Demetriou.

"''If Buddy Franklin decided he wanted to be an ambassador for AFL football, and we saw some merit and some return on the investment, and it might be an ambassadorial role for some particular area that he wanted, and he is prepared to do the work, we will talk to him. [But] we would talk to Joel Selwood, we would talk to Trent Cotchin, to be honest.''

The Swans were just a step ahead of everyone & we embarrassed the AFL & are holding them to Demetriou's word.
No regrets for Buddy, no regrets for the Swans & without a doubt, no regrets for the AFL.

I have no idea why you're quoting me as you didn't address my post, very nice rant though!

If the Crows win it this year your paradox is forever nailed. I reckon the Crows are going to go aleshit against Geelong this week
I dont think it is valid over all timescale. It just seems the "team" game, and a coach like Bevo or Clarkson, is more valid than ever, getting a bunch of good better than average players, to be sooo dominant when crunch time hits. But, a devil's advocate, would be St Kilda this year. p'raps Alan Richardson is no better than a mediocre coach. personally, i reckon Hardwick is a mediocre coach, and he lucked out this year with Balme Cancellara Leppitsch and the draft and recruit department gave the coach some wheels to work with in the front half. Next year, all will be neutralised, other teams will be able to match the defense-attack intensity, in the Tiges will struggle for top8. They need to strike this year.

Well what does that last two years of Bud's contract consist of?
500K per year of ambassador payments outside the cap?

What is inside the cap then? If the figure posted last page are accurate and 500 per year is outside the cap, that's still 1.5 million over 2 years included (assuming he doesn't play). While the media deal increase will ease pressure, that's still a million in 2021 going to no one, and 500K going to no one in 2022. That could prove useful (again if Buddy doesn't play).

What is inside the cap then? If the figure posted last page are accurate and 500 per year is outside the cap, that's still 1.5 million over 2 years included (assuming he doesn't play). While the media deal increase will ease pressure, that's still a million in 2021 going to no one, and 500K going to no one in 2022. That could prove useful (again if Buddy doesn't play).

Do you know the actual figure included in the cap?

No one knows. That's just some fluff from a newspaper. Doesn't show any clauses, nothing. Yet it took the AFL 3 days to go over it to make sure it was all ok.

"If the figure posted last page are accurate" then how hard is it to go over it. One page after all is not that difficult for Andy D & Mike Thatfatprick to tick off.
What fine detail did we throw in to make it take 3 days?

In all honesty he probably doesn't for the reasons others have already suggested. However, he may regret not being paid a million per season when he was playing career best football at Hawthorn from 2008-2012 ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seriously, making the finals in 15 of their past 17 seasons - finishing top 4 in 8 of those years - for just the 2 flags is pathetic. I'm sure he would love another flag and maybe it will still happen, but his team really needs to learn how to perform in September first.

Um? I wouldn't call 2 flags from 8 top 4 finishes to be pathetic. In fact, that's pretty much bang on what you would expect.

No one knows. That's just some fluff from a newspaper. Doesn't show any clauses, nothing. Yet it took the AFL 3 days to go over it to make sure it was all ok.

"If the figure posted last page are accurate" then how hard is it to go over it. One page after all is not that difficult for Andy D & Mike Thatfatprick to tick off.

Don't be silly, of course I don't know what the figure is. Neither do you.

I'm not sure what fine detail it is, but I'm glad it ended COLA :thumbsu:

But I do hope Buddy makes it through the whole contract, even if it would be amusing seeing Swans trying to weasel their way out of it.

Don't be silly, of course I don't know what the figure is. Neither do you.

I'm not sure what fine detail it is, but I'm glad it ended COLA :thumbsu:

But I do hope Buddy makes it through the whole contract, even if it would be amusing seeing Swans trying to weasel their way out of it.

Being amused in 3 years time won't come close to curing you of your envy of 7 years & the constant need to make appearances in any disparaging thread about Buddy where you get the chance to mention CoLA each & every time.

I'll tell you what's been amusing though. Watching how hard Hawthorn have tried to convince/fool their supporters that JOM can get though 6 consecutive games without needing to rest his "bone bruising" for another 10 weeks.

WC made it to the GF. GWS might have if they had Buddy. Buddy would have made them better. That's a certainty
WC made to one grand final, GWS none. Neither of those have had a better chance at a flag than Sydney, yet you say they were certain to have a better chance at a flag. That's monumentally stupid.

Being amused in 3 years time won't come close to curing you of your envy of 7 years & the constant need to make appearances in any disparaging thread about Buddy where you get the chance to mention CoLA each & every time.

I'll tell you what's been amusing though. Watching how hard Hawthorn have tried to convince/fool their supporters that JOM can get though 6 consecutive games without needing to rest his "bone bruising" for another 10 weeks.
This thread is about Buddy's bad choice to go to the Swans - its not about your desperate hopes for a young champion player to not take the field. Gee - the spirit of this thread is well intentioned - its about caring about Buddy (a former champion of the Hawthorn football club) and his bad decision making. I don't think it deserves this injury hoping salivation you've put forward about Jaegar Omeara.

WC made to one grand final, GWS none. Neither of those have had a better chance at a flag than Sydney, yet you say they were certain to have a better chance at a flag. That's monumentally stupid.
Yeah nah it isn't. Buddy plays and GWS get past the dogs and kill the Swans in 2016. Suits me = wouldn't have paid major unders for Tom Mitchell without the Buddy money related cap squeeze

It was enough to lose Mummy and Mitchell.

This thread is about Buddy's bad choice to go to the Swans - its not about your desperate hopes for a young champion player to not take the field. Gee - the spirit of this thread is well intentioned - its about caring about Buddy (a former champion of the Hawthorn football club) and his bad decision making. I don't think it deserves this injury hoping salivation you've put forward about Jaegar Omeara.

Except it was hardly a bad choice. The Swans may not have won a flag since he arrived but Buddy seems quite happy in Sydney and is probably enjoying his life in Sydney far more than he did in Melbourne. It isn't just about premierships, as quality of life would be important to, and like Lockett was, I think Buddy is happier in a city where he can go to the shops without being recognised 20 times.

The world is not black and white. You have to weigh it up. When Buddy is old and bouncing his grandkids on his lap he will talk about the glory days at Hawthorn and will likely go all quiet when Hodge Junior asks "then what happened?"

I am guessing this post is firmly tongue in cheek (or at least I hope it is).

Back