Buddy's regret

How would you characterise his decision?

• Understandable at the time

Votes: 22 61.1%
  • One that would lead to regrets

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • An unmitigated disaster

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • A nightmare from which he cannot leave

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Should have gone to GWS and married Jessinta

Votes: 5 13.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

What about coughing up pick 19 for your namesake?

Every club takes risks. We seem to take ours on players with injuries, getting discounts.

Worked for Burgoyne. Worked for Burton. O'Meara the jury is out. O'Rourke it doesnt appear to have worked, but he is still young.

Clarko now has to decide whether it is better to keep him and hope he can finally get over his leg issues, or accept that his body just isnt up to it.

Do we look at your GAJ compo? You had 2 cracks at 1st round picks there, didnt you?

Every club takes risks. We seem to take ours on players with injuries, getting discounts.

Worked for Burgoyne. Worked for Burton. O'Meara the jury is out. O'Rourke it doesnt appear to have worked, but he is still young.

Clarko now has to decide whether it is better to keep him and hope he can finally get over his leg issues, or accept that his body just isnt up to it.

Do we look at your GAJ compo? You had 2 cracks at 1st round picks there, didnt you?
It was more a crack at my old sparring partner ORourke Awakens!

On Ablett - yes we squandered those picks on Caddy and a Smedts

Horse s**t... If you don't care about premierships why are you playing? It's like saying Doctors don't care about taking care of patients... Its the very crux of the whole job. I'd be very surprised and almost willing to put the house on you couldn't find me 1 current AFL play who doesn't want a premiership.
I would disagree, I think more than half of afl listed players are more concerned with forging a lucrative career for as long as possible than winning a flag.

Eyes not quite right? Can't say I see anything wrong :confused:

254BC04800000578-0-image-a-38_1422960430905.jpg
She has eyes?!

Lance Franklin is a two time premiership player, a four time Coleman Medalist, a seven time All-Australian, and is one of the highest paid player in the games history.

I hardly think he'll leave football feeling unfulfilled when his time is up.

If any party ultimately feels a sting, it will be Sydney.

Horse s**t... If you don't care about premierships why are you playing? It's like saying Doctors don't care about taking care of patients... Its the very crux of the whole job. I'd be very surprised and almost willing to put the house on you couldn't find me 1 current AFL play who doesn't want a premiership.
Easy answer it's money.

Point is people do care about premierships to some extent.
But what is the worth of 2 premierships over an extra 6 million dollars, a better lifestyle for yourself and your gf and arguably Buddy would be getting great sponsor deals because he would be the most recognized player as well as getting great after footy connections in the biggest city in the country.

Buddy has set himself up for life and is probably happier at Sydney then being at hawthorn.

But what is the worth of 2 premierships over an extra 6 million dollars, a better lifestyle for yourself and your gf and arguably Buddy would be getting great sponsor deals because he would be the most recognized player as well as getting great after footy connections in the biggest city in the country.

Buddy has set himself up for life and is probably happier at Sydney then being at hawthorn.

Footballers make money after football by staying in Sydney?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I was on the same cash as Buddy is on I don't think regrets would be an issue for me.

I thought he wanted to live in Bondi with Jesinta. Would be hard to do at most clubs.

If Swans had have won 2014 I think that would have been a "monkey off the back" type thing and they would have won at least one more flag, no pressure from the buddy deal playing on anyone's mind, from player to board, it would've been instant validation and a platform for more success.

Massive sliding doors* moment in history, no Hawk threepeat/dynasty, Swans up for one instead. I think that is what most people are getting at here. Does that affect the mind of Buddy/Swans more than "What if Buddy had stayed?".

*Barrett eat your heart out.

You do realise not every player gives a **** about premierships? He has snagged himself a couple, got himself into a few more. You think he's gonna look back and be upset he didn't win a premiership every year?
I think a lot of players want to win a premiership to feel they've had a fulfilling career, but many are happy to win one and be done with it. That's why a lot of players are happy to walk somewhere else after they've won one. They have the medal to their name, and then they can sell themselves to the highest bidder. Buddy has more than the norm with 2 flags to his name, and his legacy in the game is cemented regardless. Similar to Ablett, though at least we've continued to see Buddy play finals in his prime which we didn't get to see with Ablett after his move.

Its not like Buddy has not been contending for flags

even the most one eyed hawk fan did not see 2 more flags in a row coming after the 2013 win, so in some sense he was pretty unlucky to lose 2 while his old side wins 2

a couple of saturdays go differently and it is a different story, and I realise thats the old well if your uncle had a puss he would be your auntie

but surely guys like Kade Simpson who barely gets to sing the club song have more regret

Nope. Year after the fact. A phased removal was on the agenda in 2013. And the in principle idea of balancing the salary cap was put forward to the club presidents in Sept 2012.
Yet thats straight from the AFLs own website

Yet thats straight from the AFLs own website

Yep. It was all referenced as far back as the 2012 AFL annual report.

Fitzpatrick was pretty much going hulk smash on us by 2014, though. So take anything from the AFL website in that year or later with a pinch of salt. :cool:

Back