Buddy's regret

How would you characterise his decision?

• Understandable at the time

Votes: 22 61.1%
  • One that would lead to regrets

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • An unmitigated disaster

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • A nightmare from which he cannot leave

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Should have gone to GWS and married Jessinta

Votes: 5 13.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

He could have flags not runners ups. You think that doesnt matter?
Two flags is better than most.

10 million dollars paid out until 36 on top of that? Why would you say no?

He's delivered for Sydney. Coleman medals, game breaking performances.

It's Sydney that hasn't delivered for him.

It's been a great move for buddy and Sydney , they've had the opportunity to win premierships in 2014 and 2016 . They'd be disappointed they couldn't get the job done in 2016 and embarrassed about their performances in 2014 GF and last night.

He could have flags not runners ups. You think that doesnt matter?

I think it sorta does. It's unfortunate the umpiring Sydney got last year and tonight. There's also something to be said about playing for an non-Victorian team reduces your chances of a premiership. It's clear that anonymity and money was more important, however.

If you accept that all players play for flags he has regrets
I absolutely do not believe that. That's a very naive view. A lot of players would also play for other things like money and stability.

I think it sorta does. It's unfortunate the umpiring Sydney got last year and tonight. There's also something to be said about playing for an non-Victorian team reduces your chances of a premiership. It's clear that anonymity and money was more important, however.

I absolutely do not believe that. That's a very naive view. A lot of players would also play for other things like money and stability.
http://m.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2017-04-05/buddy-craves-a-flag

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2013-10-09/franklin-makes-his-bow-as-a-swan/5011198?pfmredir=sm

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-...p-after-consistent-season/7878868?pfmredir=sm

Buddy's big pay cheque restricted the Swans in keeping Tom Mitchell who would have been very handy in last nights weather conditions. Some players value dollars more than team success or being a one club player ...... I reckon buddy would be feeling ok this morning waking up in his luxurious pad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not nice to take joy out of it. My thread is a purely objective exercise with a serious question

yea-k.gif

Can't blame for taking the cash, but in a football only sense, it's been a disaster..
You make it sound like we have missed finals every year and he is a spud player now. That would be a disaster.

Franklin moving to Sydney has been far from a disaster. He has played in 2 more GFs, still dominating the league as an individual and appears happy with his lifestyle.

Ablett to the GC is way more questionable than Franklin to Sydney.

You make it sound like we have missed finals every year and he is a spud player now. That would be a disaster.

Franklin moving to Sydney has been far from a disaster. He has played in 2 more GFs, still dominating the league as an individual and appears happy with his lifestyle.

Ablett to the GC is way more questionable than Franklin to Sydney.
Agreed. The Ablett move could be considered a disaster. Neither party is currently happy with that one.

I think the OP is conflating two very different issues.

Wanting/craving a flag (prefaced by at Sydney) does not equal regret for leaving Hawthorn.

Buddy has achieved significantly in his career, including two flags.

He had an opportunity to make a move that involved $$$, love, out of the spotlight, and a team that has very real potential for flags.

Then again, there is no guarantee that if he stayed at Hawthorn they would have won the subsequent flags. He has demonstrated he can be a liability in big games -- last night.

No it isn't. He has two flags and 10 million dollars.

He could have had four flags and 5 million dollars.

I'd take the 10 million dollars.

GWS offered similar money to Sydney but not the length. Hawks offered $5m over 5 but you are counting his full 9 years at Sydney.

You reckon Hawthorn would make him retire after 5 years?

Buddy gets maybe $6m over the first 5 years at Sydney.

So $6m and zero vs $5m and 2 flags.

What does he get for the extra $1m?

Depends if premierships, which he experienced, or securing financial future are/were more important to him.

Only he'd know the answer to that.

I'd take financial future.

Question is more whether Syd made an error recruiting him. I'd say no they didn't.

Love has no price though
But
The difference in lifestyle that 5 million buys and 10 million buys isnt that great
when your an old man and all your got is memories thats when you might dwell on coulda shoulda woulda of how you wasted your potential

I dont think Buddy thinks that deeply though he won the money that would be as important as winning the GF

and now he doesnt get reported everytime he bumps someone or give away heaps of hands in the back frees ...lifes good

When his contract starts to stuff up the AFL Swans the AFL will just make someone an ambassador and sort it out

Back