Buddy's regret

How would you characterise his decision?

• Understandable at the time

Votes: 22 61.1%
  • One that would lead to regrets

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • An unmitigated disaster

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • A nightmare from which he cannot leave

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Should have gone to GWS and married Jessinta

Votes: 5 13.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It now needs to be asked whether Buddy made a huge mistake - not so much leaving Hawthorn- but joining Sydney.

There were plenty of other teams he could have joined in 2013. West Coast, GWS, Freo. I am certain each of these teams at the time would have given a better opportunity of a flag.

Then there is misisng out on two flags at his old team and being part of history.

Yep he has the big bucks but surely he will consider his move to the Swans as the worst move he could have made given he is one of the greatest players to play the game.

Discuss

Last edited:

Is the mistake not Sydney's?

Buddy is a great player obviously, but after winning the 2012 premiership they went out and recruited Tippett and Franklin, have also had concessions to get good young blokes like Mills and Heeney for cheaper than they'd have gone in the draft.

Their acquisition of talls happened in successive years after a premiership, when some clubs can wait years before getting someone as in demand as Tippett was in a trade. Then, as a * you to the rest of the comp, they got Franklin.

Given all the talent Sydney has at their disposal, a premiership winning side that has gotten more talented since, don't these last four to five seasons look like a complete waste?

Personally I think Buddy made the right choice. He already had two premierships, kicked 100 goals in a season, cracked the other ton. Now he's set himself up for life.

It's Sydney who should be having the buyer's remorse.

Its not like he hasn't come close to flags at Sydney. 2 GF's in 4 years is more opportunities than most players will get in their careers and won't be without more chances.

Financially it was just about the deal of a lifetime and his 9 year contract is back loaded so will only get better for him cash wise.

There's no guarantee that if Buddy stayed with the Hawks they would have won those flags. Butterfly Effect and all that.

Buddy made the right move at the time. Getting paid a lot more money over more years for doing the same job, most people would take that.

It's a shame for him, from a football accolade perspective, that the club he went to are the biggest underachievers of the modern era. Seriously, making the finals in 15 of their past 17 seasons - finishing top 4 in 8 of those years - for just the 2 flags is pathetic. I'm sure he would love another flag and maybe it will still happen, but his team really needs to learn how to perform in September first.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He'd already won a flag and moved to Sydney for massive $$ and to be with his woman. Looks like he enjoys the Bondi lifestyle.

I doubt he regrets anything football-wise.

Oh Im sure there are heaps of football regrets. Its the financial and lifestyle bits that he would be happy about.

GWS offered similar money so he could have had nearly the same there. Would GWS with him have a flag?

With his two premierships, four Coleman medals, 7 AA jumpers, loving wife and $10,000,000 I'm pretty sure Buddy is doing fine. Especially outside the AFL bubble in Sydney. He's possibly already enjoying the off-season.

Edit: FFS, he's actually done everything he can do in footy apart from win a Brownlow. Just because he hasn't done it every year doesn't mean he'd have regrets.

Oh Im sure there are heaps of football regrets. Its the financial and lifestyle bits that he would be happy about.

GWS offered similar money so he could have had nearly the same there. Would GWS with him have a flag?
The GWS question is not just a retrospective question. 5 more years at that powerhouse? With Buddy? Flagorama

I reckon he haS one more great year of footy in him. But the swans are going to that well repeatedly only to come back with mud.
But he DOES have 2 premierships and a bucket loads of cash!

Agree with you OP. But the majority of this forum does not. They see Sydney as the "new GWS/GC" and still think they are favourites to b2b2b2b2b2b.

I'n not sure if this is still the case after last nights game but it may be.

Back