Buddy's regret

How would you characterise his decision?

• Understandable at the time

Votes: 22 61.1%
  • One that would lead to regrets

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • An unmitigated disaster

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • A nightmare from which he cannot leave

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Should have gone to GWS and married Jessinta

Votes: 5 13.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Took Swans to top of the table in 14 and 16..Most country's in the world would recognize this but in Australia the lower ranked teams can get gifted a grand final at there own venue when they haven't earnt the right to host . What Are Victorian teams record at at finals outside Victoria-18%..His record and his legacy will only look better and better in time.If anyone in the AFL should have no regrets and be happy it's Buddy.

In 2016 the grand final was played at a venue Sydney had played at more than their opponent

All Sydney had to do was outscore the opposition, relatively simple. Swans were not good enough on the day but resort to blaming the umpires!! :p
I think there’s a case to mount in 2016, rightly or wrongly.

In 2014 they were bullied by a side playing scintillating football at the peak of their powers. Truly humbled by Hawthorn that day. Hawthorn would’ve been just as dominant if the game was played on the moon.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
All Sydney had to do was outscore the opposition, relatively simple. Swans were not good enough on the day but resort to blaming the umpires!! :p

Mark Evans admitted that 4 of the Bulldogs goals were from terrible umpiring decisions. 4 goals is enough to sway the game, in fact those 4 goals probably determined the result. I forget the exact stat but halfway through the 4th quarter the Bulldogs had a huge free kick advantage. The Swans got a couple of square ups in the dying minutes, but even with those it was still massively one sided. Hannebery got injured when he was taken out by a bulldogs player and was never quite the same after but for some reason even that was not a free kick

Senor Ed

Club Legend
Oct 2, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Doggies
i
Mark Evans admitted that 4 of the Bulldogs goals were from terrible umpiring decisions. 4 goals is enough to sway the game, in fact those 4 goals probably determined the result. I forget the exact stat but halfway through the 4th quarter the Bulldogs had a huge free kick advantage. The Swans got a couple of square ups in the dying minutes, but even with those it was still massively one sided. Hannebery got injured when he was taken out by a bulldogs player and was never quite the same after but for some reason even that was not a free kick

I'd argue there was more than the 4:

Add these to the list:
- Grundy handballing to Mills who tries to take on Cordy in the pocket and is caught holding the ball. Terrible decision by Grundy & Mills.
- Buddy attempting to outrun Morris who brings him down in the centre square. Ball spills to Boyd who kicks that huge goal. Terrible decision by Buddy.
- Grundy leaving Boyd all alone in the goal square for the Bont to hit him uncontested. Terrible decision by Grundy
- Grundy attempting to take a mark one handed and in the process of Grundy never controlling the ball, it spills to Dickson who snaps a goal.

Im sure there's more than this tho.

Maybe Tippett had a point in the change rooms after the game.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
i

Add these to the list:
- Grundy handballing to Mills who tries to take on Cordy in the pocket and is caught holding the ball. Terrible decision by Grundy & Mills.
- Buddy attempting to outrun Morris who brings him down in the centre square. Ball spills to Boyd who kicks that huge goal. Terrible decision by Buddy.
- Grundy leaving Boyd all alone in the goal square for the Bont to hit him uncontested. Terrible decision by Grundy
- Grundy attempting to take a mark one handed and in the process of Grundy never controlling the ball, it spills to Dickson who snaps a goal.

How is that remotely relevant to what I said? Are you saying Bulldogs players made no mistakes during the game?

Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
i

Add these to the list:

BTW: Buddy playing at Spotless for GWS in 2016 Prelim (alternate Buddy universe).

Do doggies win?

It is actually about Hawthorn fans wishing Buddy had regrets, hoping he had regrets. It is about Hawthorn fans who are still bitter he is no longer with their club, that he decided he wanted to leave their club.

From my perspective Buddy is lucky that he is considered a 2x premiership player. He stole the medal that should have gone to cult hero MATT SPANGHER in 2013.

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers

Everyone knows, including Mark McVeigh, that you hit Hanners hard and he doesn't go near it for the rest of the day.

Very good polayer in his prime, but like Lewis Jetta, goes missing under duress...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chumly

Senior List
May 23, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
but like Lewis Jetta, goes missing under duress...

Jetta does have this reputation and can be lazy hence he has been dropped a few times for my club.

But I can say that he has played some high quality classy games in high pressure situations.

Round 23 2017
First final 2018

And I think he played his part in our Grand Final win.

I am not adverse to having him in our starting line up and he is unfairly maligned.

Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Another Brownlow or us winning a flag with him before Sydney next win a flag then I dare say we will see a fair few pop up. On top of the many which you seem to have missed over the last couple of years.
Quite the opposite I’d say.

I suspect there won’t be evidence to justify the creation of a “Tom’s Regret” thread

upload_2018-12-7_15-1-9.gif

BTW: Buddy playing at Spotless for GWS in 2016 Prelim (alternate Buddy universe).

Do doggies win?
Do Bulldogs even win if the umps were brave enough to pay a 50 very late in the game to Scully after a doggies player gets so close to him whilst trying to kick after a mark he had to change his own line to avoid the player? Worst ever non call of a protected space violation I can recall.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
Given Sydney 0 premierships, destroyed their list management plans, permanently removed 2 million dollars of cheating money from Sydney's salary cap, while costing himself at least two premierships. Yep, fantastic deal. Has set Sydney back a decade.

At least he helped us win a p'ship in a year where other teams where injecting some youth in their club.

Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
I think footy fans severely overrate how much some of these blokes care about premierships etc. Particularly when they've already won two. I'm sure everyone one is amazing but you constantly here players talk about how special their first flag was.

Sure maybe when he meets up with his Hawks mates they give him a bit of s**t about leaving but do you honestly think this bloke is sitting there often and going "gee why the * did I come up here?"?

He has set himself up for life, no doubt lives in a nice house in Sydney, has two flags and still gets s**t load of attention.

He has the best of both worlds.

Hannerbery got injured when he was taken out by a bulldogs player and was never quite the same after but for some reason even that was not a free kick

Symptomatic of the day, bulldogs went harder when it was there to be won. Wood didn’t slide, he just went lower and harder and hannerbery shirked it and paid the price

Oct 14, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think footy fans severely overrate how much some of these blokes care about premierships etc. Particularly when they've already won two. I'm sure everyone one is amazing but you constantly here players talk about how special their first flag was.

Sure maybe when he meets up with his Hawks mates they give him a bit of s**t about leaving but do you honestly think this bloke is sitting there often and going "gee why the **** did I come up here?"?

He has set himself up for life, no doubt lives in a nice house in Sydney, has two flags and still gets s**t load of attention.

He has the best of both worlds.
Would of made the same coin at Hawthorn.

Back