Budget 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

You’ve got to be kidding, surely. I’m no fan of Morrison, but the relatively minor pushback Australia’s engaged with on the China relationship is entirely reasonable, and supported by most of the developed world. I for one would like to see it go a bit further.

China has hit back with a sledgehammer, but that’s to be expected. Surely you don’t just want us to roll over?
No issue with the budget projections? A limp wristed defence of Scummo foreign policy which will see us further isolated if Trump loses doesn't really cut it.

You’ve got to be kidding, surely. I’m no fan of Morrison, but the relatively minor pushback Australia’s engaged with on the China relationship is entirely reasonable, and supported by most of the developed world. I for one would like to see it go a bit further.

China has hit back with a sledgehammer, but that’s to be expected. Surely you don’t just want us to roll over?

Spot on.

If it takes some pain for the economy to pivot in a different direction, so be it.

We can't be completely reliant on a country, however low the possibility, we could be at war with at some point in the next 50 years.

No issue with the budget projections? A limp wristed defence of Scummo foreign policy which will see us further isolated if Trump loses doesn't really cut it.
The budget projections are obviously crap, that’s got nothing to do with characterising showing a bit of spine on China as Trumpism.

What’s your position on the bilateral relationship with China? I’m genuinely curious now.

The budget projections are obviously crap, that’s got nothing to do with characterising showing a bit of spine on China as Trumpian.

What’s your position on the bilateral relationship with China? I’m genuinely curious now.
Until Trump and his trade war bullshit happened most people were of the view that a harmonious relationship with China was mutually beneficial for us all. Then we decided to take foreign policy cues from a failed businessman and reality TV host. As for the budget projections, I can only assume you've matured into a more forgiving man in the past seven years, you certainly wouldn't have given Wayne Swan the benefit of the doubt you give Frydenberg.

Until Trump and his trade war bullshit happened most people were of the view that a harmonious relationship with China was mutually beneficial for us all.
Firstly, I don’t see anyone saying they don’t want a harmonious relationship with China. It’s just a question of what price we’re prepared to pay. Secondly, doesn’t answer my question.

Not sure where you get the impression I’m giving Frydenberg the benefit of the doubt. In no year since 2013 has this government met their budget projections, and I’ll eat my hat if this is the first.

Not that Swan ever met his budget projections either, mind.

Last edited:
That’s reality. But it is also true that over the long term, the tax base has risen steadily irrespective of various cuts.

I also find it a bit irksome that many people who say ‘you never get tax cuts back’ are also loud proponents of Modern Monetary Theory, which sidesteps addressing such prosaic political concerns.

Modern Monetary Theory is interesting in so much as it challenges the idea that inflation is purely a monetary event and that production capacity is important within an economy.

People who use it to advocate a magic money tree style policy are whackos.

Roll over to what?

China is a client to Australia. All we have to do is sell them stuff and keep our heads down.

Instead we have opted for megaphone diplomacy and you want them to go harder?

Why? For what end?

And megaphone diplomacy is resolving those issues how?
China doesn’t give a s**t about ‘megaphone diplomacy’.

They do give a s**t about us running an inquiry into influence operations being run in universities, tightening FI rules, conducting AFP raids on politicians who employ Chinese intelligence operatives, and blocking Chinese tech companies that pose a security risk from key infrastructure contracts.

Are you suggesting we should soft-peddle those things to appease the CCP?

And megaphone diplomacy is resolving those issues how?

It's not megaphone diplomacy if those issues are, in fact real.

Take one look at the South China Sea and the Himalaya's.

Australia aren't the only country they have pissed off in the last 2 years. They have pissed off essentially every single regional neighbour.

2020's will be known as the decade where overpopulation became a real threat to global peace and security.

China is running out of resources, land and food.

It's going to come to a head at some point in the next century. They have 8-10m registered births per year and are likely to top 2 billion in population in the next 50 years.

They are going to start a war out of necessity.

China doesn’t give a sh*t about ‘megaphone diplomacy’.

They do give a sh*t about us running an inquiry into influence operations being run in universities, tightening FI rules, conducting AFP raids on politicians who employ Chinese intelligence operatives, and blocking Chinese tech companies that pose a security risk from key infrastructure contracts.

Are you suggesting we should soft-peddle those things to appease the CCP?

It is pretty hilarious that when it comes to climate change Australia is "too small to matter" yet when it comes to pulling one of the worlds superpowers into line we are all of a sudden the worlds great hope.

It is pretty hilarious that when it comes to climate change Australia is "too small to matter" yet when it comes to pulling one of the worlds superpowers into line we are all of a sudden the worlds great hope.
Nobody said anything about pulling China into line on a global basis. This is just about protecting our own domestic sovereignty.

Can I take it from your non-answers, you're okay with China continuing unchallenged with the abovementioned activities?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nobody said anything about pulling China into line on a global basis. This is just about protecting our own domestic sovereignty.

Can I take it from your non-answers, you're okay with China continuing with the abovementioned activities unfettered?

No I am not ok but that is all on us. If we think they are buying too many assets then stop approving the sales. But of course that is in opposition to the interests of LNP donors everywhere.

If we think they are hacking our systems we need better systems.

If we think they are influencing our universities and other institutions then we need systems and rules and processes to counter that.

It is all on us.

Can I take it from your non-answers, you're okay with China continuing unchallenged with the abovementioned activities?

I assume this is all part of a well thought out and sophisticated plan;

Deflection 101.

Abetz says something stupid.
AFP "investigation".

It's fair enough for there to be an inquiry of politicians who might be under the influence of the Chinese Communist Party or other overseas governments where such influence may be damaging to Australia. The inquiry should be based on evidence of a particular person having a connection with such an overseas government, as distinct from the mere fact that the person has a specific ethnicity. Fairness 101.

The ethnicity of a politician/public official alone is not relevant: what is important is the interactions that the person has had with overseas governments, or people linked with them in a meaningful way, and whether the capacity of the politician/public official to carry out their role here may be compromised.

Abetz clearly lacks the intellectual rigour to understand the issues and his comments are inflammatory and unhelpful.

ScoMos comments were crazy for Australia the day he put politics above common sense & was more widely cheered on than criticised.
It was unnecessary for Aus to lead the criticism & we are just starting to pay for it.

Without China how would we have been post the GFC.
Jobs are my primary concern NOT political posturing.

Last edited:
not only ANSO has to approve but also the five eyes. This will remain in place until the theoretical limit of 35% is proven. If the theoretical limit is proven to be the limit, then it will be released publicly after the technological advantage is exploited.

otherwise it will go the same way as laser technology and silex.........bought by GE and will never see the light of day.

You may not be able to confirm or deny, but is this what you were referring to Power Raid?

You may not be able to confirm or deny, but is this what you were referring to Power Raid?

not the same but I love vanadium flow batteries

they are an australian invention, invented by a women with a greek background ( Maria Skyllas Kazacos).

vanadium is way better than lithium for applications that don't have limitations on weight or size. they store energy far better and importantly store power, they can't catch fire, don't deteriorate over time etc etc.

The fact SA bought elon musk's second hand lithium car batteries over vandium is criminal negligence!

The draw backs to vanadium though is price (note lithium is no better). At north of $0.40 per kwh, it just doesn't make commercial sense. Like lithium batteries, vanadium won't get cheaper unless the commodity gets cheaper and any cheaper, the mining of the commodity becomes unfeasible.

oh and I typed ANSO rather than ASNO ( Australian Safeguards and Non-proliferation Office)

combining this new Australian technology with US technology we could see a return to $0.04 per kwh with all the benefits of safe, clean and reliable

Australia is doing wonders in the technology space

oh and I typed ANSO rather than ASNO ( Australian Safeguards and Non-proliferation Office)

combining this new Australian technology with US technology we could see a return to $0.04 per kwh with all the benefits of safe, clean and reliable

Australia is doing wonders in the technology space
And so we should. We can't compete with most other countries on labour costs, and I personally believe that investing in tomorrow's technology is vital. We are where we are today because someone invested in research and development (take the internet and smartphones for example).