Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
E.J. Manuel wonders why Nathan Peterman gets so many chances
Posted by Darin Gantt on November 5, 2018, 8:55 AM EST
gettyimages-630762922-e1541426085278.jpg

Getty Images

E.J. Manuel is just like the rest of us.

He also wonders why Bills quarterback Nathan Peterman keeps getting chances, and he was a bit salty about during yesterday’s three-interception performance against the Bears.

Manuel, who played five years with the Raiders and Bills but is currently unemployed, sent-and-deleted an Instagram post which called Peterman’s employment and the motivation behind it into question.

“I usually never open up about my situation in Buffalo, but the fact that this guy has had multiple games with 4-plus interceptions … and I still don’t have a job in the league? UNREAL,” Manuel wrote, via Sal Maiorana of the Rochester Democrat and Chronicle. “Say what you want about me, but never have I EVER done that. Forget a learning curve, I didn’t get the luxury of being able to use that excuse. I wonder why.”

Manuel’s implication is clear, and it isn’t just that Peterman has 13 interceptions in nine games.

The Bills overdrafted Manuel the way they overdrafted Peterman, though when you burn a first-rounder it stings more than a fifth. Manuel was pressed into service as a rookie, starting 10 games and throwing 11 touchdowns and nine interceptions.

It wasn’t a great ratio, but it’s still a positive differential, which Peterman can’t claim (with three touchdowns).

Buffalo haven't shown the ability to draft and develop a QB for a long time, but it's not like Petermen would be playing if there was a fit QB on the roster other than him

it's amazing what happens when you have someone who doesn't think success at QB is judged by who throws the most Interceptions

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
I always thought that defence wins championships, but it looks like I'm wrong.

As it stands today the Bills have the number 1 defence in the NFL, based on yards per game.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
How would you know? Maybe the Bills best the Saints in the Super Bowl!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jul 1, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fulham, 76ers, Cubs, Bills
I always thought that defence wins championships, but it looks like I'm wrong.

As it stands today the Bills have the number 1 defence in the NFL, based on yards per game.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

In the modern NFL a strong offense will beat a strong defense, but in one-off games such as playoff games, a D can outplay a great O and win the game.
For instance, Broncos/Panthers Super Bowl, Philly/Atlanta in last year's playoffs etc.

But over the course of a season you'd rather have O than D:
Top ranked O (via DVOA, prior to this week): KC, Rams, Chargers, NO, Carolina (all top 10 overall)
Top ranked D: Bears, Bills, Texans, Broncos, Seahawks (half/half)

Santoz

Chief's Public Enemy #1
30k Posts 10k Posts Freeze MND Challenge 2021 Chess Club Member
Mar 10, 2006
Weir Stables
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
Awesome win this morning.

Allen rushing for 100 yards.

That scrap & ejections were the game changer.

Jul 1, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Awesome win this morning.

Allen rushing for 100 yards.

That scrap & ejections were the game changer.

Fun game!
Good D but more scoring than most expected.
Allen was excellent in air and ground as you said. Really heart of the offense stuff. Huge lift to the team.

Agreed because it got Fournette out of the game. Jags O without Fournette doesn’t leave much!

Now a game out of 2nd in the division with Dolphins games coming up.
And actually a game out of 6th seed if Texans win tomorrow which is crazy.

Just happy for any further development from Allen and the other youngsters, and avoidance of career ending injuries to Williams/Alexander/etc.

Jul 1, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Watching back the Condensed game I noted that our penalties seemed to be at more inopportune times, eg.:
-on the late 2nd quarter drive we had two downs where Allen completed a pass (7yd, 16yd), both brought back by penalties. Ended up with a punt and thankfully Bortles threw an INT to prevent points
-3rd quarter - when Jags were PUNTING we gave up a 4th down penalty (too many on field) to give a 1st down. Yikes.
-next drive of 3rd quarter - 3rd and 10, managed to sack Bortles but holding penalty erased that and gave a 1st down

Overall it was 80yd to 90yd so no great difference but just felt like ours had the potential to hurt more (Except for their penalties on that sh!t-show from the 1yd line goalline stand). Thankfully the defence kept that to a minimum.

Back