Teams Buffalo Bills - The Stampede

Remove this Banner Ad

Disappointing.
Eagles pulled the run dominance game they did @ GB and dominate to win.

Just generally disappointed. Chance to have a statement win but lose to a quality side.

The South all winning makes things a bit more complicated, but still in a good position. Need to stop the run against Washington.

This roster is in dire need of upgrades across the board.

And upgrades on the coaching staff might not be much further away.

Don’t disagree - there is a chance that some areas of need improve as the season progresses, Eg TE, OL, DL.

However we can be heartened by:
-lots of cap space still
-all of our picks from the first 5 rounds of next draft , and some bonus picks on day 3 we could use to trade up
-likely playoff berth to give experience to the youngsters, and help sort the genuine best-53 from the fringe.

Im really sick of the Jets.
I love the Knicks so want to either support the Giants or Bills.
Can someone help me deciede on here to support the Bills?
Thanks

Thanks

Well we are no fans of bandwagoners, though you’re coming off the Jets bandwagon so that’s cool 😎

captain cotch 9

did this up before last season when Santoz was joining the force, and now he/she is a regular in here with great insights

Welcome!
The Wiki page, as with most NFL related topics, is quite a good overview of the history, the different names over the years, the rivalries etc., so no need to focus on that here.

Ten things you should know:

1. Four Falls of Buffalo
The Bills lost four consecutive Superbowls, from 1990 to 1993, i.e. they were the AFC Conference Champions for four consecutive years, the first and only time that has happened.
Unfortunately they lost all four Superbowls, and the team is more regarded for that than anything else.
This was captured in the ESPN documentary, Four Falls of Buffalo (wiki).

2. The Comeback
In the third of those AFC Championship seasons, they came back from 28-3 down at half-time, to beat the Houston Oilers in the game that became known as 'The Comeback'
This is the full game on Youtube, and a highlights version.
3. The Drought
The Bills held the longest playoff drought in major US sports (18 seasons), until they made it last year, thanks to a win over the Miami Dolphins (major rivals), and a last-ditch win by the already-eliminated Cincinnati Bengals away to their rivals Baltimore Ravens.
This video summarises the events of that fateful day.

4. Bills Mafia
This is the unofficial collective name for the 'wilder' Bills fans. They are regarded as some of the most passionate in the NFL. Additionally, they like to smash tables. Not entirely sure why. But good for you to know that.
Perhaps the most famous fan is Ezra Castro, aka Pancho Billa.
A couple of useful articles about this: Article Article

5. "Shout": Youtube video
This is the unofficial 'team song' of the Bills

6. Podcasts - there are quite a few out there. The main one I listen to is Locked On Bills, not sure if others have other preferences.

7. Some important historical names:
  • Ralph Wilson - founder and owner from inception of NFL (1970) until his death (2014). The Bills stadium since 1973 is known as Ralph Wilson Stadium in his honour (current sponsorship name is New Era Field)
  • O.J. Simpson - star, HoF running back. Also convicted robber.
  • Marv Levy - coach during those AFC Championship years.
  • Bruce Smith - DE during those AFC Championship years, sacks career record holder
  • Jim Kelly and Thurman Thomas - QB and RB during those AFC Championship Years.
8. The current crop of players
Probably the most well-known / well-regarded Bills players are:
  • Kyle Williams - veteran DT, Scored his first and only career touchdown in that win over the Dolphins on the last game of last season
  • LeSean McCoy - veteran RB
  • Kelvin Benjamin - WR, previously with Carolina Panthers including during their Superbowl season
  • Star Lotulelei - DT, also from Carolina
  • Steven Hauschka - kicker, long term player with Seattle Seahawks including 2013 Super Bowl win.
The Carolina link is interesting, given that our current Head Coach (Sean McDermott) was the defensive coordinator at Carolina for a number of years until taking over HC role at Buffalo last season; and our current General Manager (Brandon Beane) was in the front office at Carolina for a long period, also coming at the start of last season.

9. The QB situation
Since Jim Kelly's retirement (1996) the Bills have greatly struggled at the QB position. This has roughly correlated with the NE/Belichick/Brady era, who have had a strangehold over both our division (AFC East) and the conference (AFC).
In recent years the Bills have tried drafting, trading or otherwise developing QBs, without much success. That's included EJ Manuel in 2013 draft (pick 16) and Josh Allen in this year's draft (pick 7).
Manuel was a bit of a bust, and is now a back-up at Oakland. There are high hopes for Allen though there is a lot of debate around him.

10. Josh Allen
Which leads to Allen, who has been an extremely controversial first round choice, some thinking he was worthy of #1, some thinking he was not worthy of being drafted in the first round at all. Basically, he is regarded as an extremely raw talent, potentially the highest upside in the league, but also potentially a bust given his college numbers regarding accuracy. I fall somewhere in the agnostic middle, and will wait to see how he goes.

How's that? :)

Historical stuff still applies, but the “top 5” has shifted a lot, with most of those guys moving on.

I’d say current top 5 is:
-Tre White (CB)
-Matt Milano (LB)
-Mitch Morse (C)
-Haushcka (K)
-Tremaine Edmunds (LB)

A dominance of defenders on a strong defensive unit.

Allen has improved this year in terms of skills and decision making, but still has a ways to go.

Also we drafted well this year and have seen good signs from DT Ed Oliver, RB Singletary and TE Knox. Cody Ford is starting regularly though is has a bit of room for improvement.

Thanks

Do you like defense? Yes, pick us.

Do you like offense? Yes, pick the Giants.

Is this coming game likely to be the most important game of the season? I don't mean up until now, but all season! It just feels like the game we have to win to make the playoffs, as early as it still is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is this coming game likely to be the most important game of the season? I don't mean up until now, but all season! It just feels like the game we have to win to make the playoffs, as early as it still is.

Hmm. I think ten wins will be enough for a WC and with games against Miami, Jets and Broncos, I think we should be fine to get to 9, and just need one of the tough month.

Having said that, a win this week would almost certainly guarantee playoffs, and keeps us in the hunt for the division with the Pats having a week off and a tough upcoming run.

So yes, I’m seeing it as a must win.

This one is really really frustrating

The D again performed terrifically:
-Browns have a lot of weapons and they generally all played well
-Great goal line defense time after time
-Tightened the run D

And yet in spite of this, and truly terrible Cleveland coaching, we had just horrific play calling time after time, missed points on FGs, etc..

So frustrating.

Our offense needs an AB.

Let's give him a lifeline ...

The playcalling needs to be fixed first though.

Run the ******* ball.

Get the defense off teh ******* field.

We don't score anyway so we shouldn't have an aversion to letting Singletary run it down their throats.

FFS.

Run the ******* ball.

Get the defense off teh ******* field.

We don't score anyway so we shouldn't have an aversion to letting Singletary run it down their throats.

FFS.

Yup the bomb throw on 3rd-and-3 was inexcusable (especially after it was 1st-and-25!)

And same on the second last play. At least try run - worst case Hausch misses the kick anyway, best case we get a first down/TD, or at least an easier FG.

Strange because our redzone playcalling has been good, I don't understand why it goes to crap further out.

Yup the bomb throw on 3rd-and-3 was inexcusable (especially after it was 1st-and-25!)

And same on the second last play. At least try run - worst case Hausch misses the kick anyway, best case we get a first down/TD, or at least an easier FG.

Strange because our redzone playcalling has been good, I don't understand why it goes to crap further out.

It's like they know Josh hasn't hit a decent bomb all year yet still persist with the hero ball to try and give him a 'breakout' moment.

It's like they know Josh hasn't hit a decent bomb all year yet still persist with the hero ball to try and give him a 'breakout' moment.

Yup.
And I’m fine with that on first down, or if you’re catching up. But in a close game and on 3rd and short it’s unacceptable.

Quality win!

the good:
-another win on the road
-another AFC east win
-Josh 4 TD, no INT or fumble
-John Brown (and no drops for Beasley again)
-more balanced pass and run plays
-running D
-punting and kicking
-controlled from wire to wire

the bad:
-Nsekhe injury
-Levi Wallace
-the onside kick (though it was a great play by Miami)
-Pats won

We have beaten the pre season over/under already!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back