Teams Buffalo Bills - The Stampede

Remove this Banner Ad

Sean McDermott: We have to continue to look at improving team speed

Posted by Josh Alper on January 25, 2022, 1:17 PM EST

Bills head coach Sean McDermott wasn’t willing to delve into the specifics of what went wrong for the team at the end of regulation in their loss to the Chiefs, but he was a bit more forthcoming when it came to areas he’d like to see the team improve as they head into next season.

McDermott was asked about the speed that the Chiefs have on offense with players like Tyreek Hill, Byron Pringle, and Mecole Hardman and said suggestions that the Bills need to do more to counter it is “a valid point” as they head into the offseason.

“We’re going to continue to build this as well, and we’re going to continue to address areas of need, and I think not just this year, but evolving with how the game continues to evolve, that we have to continue to evolve with it and try and be out in front of it, all the time,” McDermott said, via the team’s website. “So that’s what we have to do and one of the areas that we have to continue to look at — matching team speed on both sides of the ball.”

The Chiefs have been the insurmountable obstacle for the Bills the last two seasons. If they can build up some more speed, next year’s approach may be to run past it rather than trying to vault over it.

Sean McDermott: We didn’t execute in final 13 seconds of regulation

Posted by Josh Alper on January 25, 2022, 9:55 AM EST

The Bills took a 36-33 lead over the Chiefs with 13 seconds left in Sunday’s divisional round playoff game in Kansas City, but that proved to be enough time for the Chiefs to tie the game.

After a touchback on the ensuing kickoff, quarterback Patrick Mahomes hit back-to-back passes to wide receiver Tyreek Hill and tight end Travis Kelce to pick up 44 yards and set up Harrison Butker‘s kick. The Chiefs would win on a touchdown pass to Kelce in overtime.

People outside the organization have suggested the Bills should have forced the Chiefs to burn some time while fielding the kickoff and taken issue with the defensive calls that the Bills had on the two completions at the end of regulation. Bills head coach Sean McDermott said it was disappointing because “we pride ourselves on being detailed” in situations like that, but refused to discuss any of the details he wanted to see handled differently.

“I’m still going to get into specifics on that. It comes down to execution. We didn’t execute,” McDermott said.
Execution suggests issues with on-field performance rather than the calls that were coming from the sideline, but the avoidance of specificity leaves some questions unanswered.McDermott wouldn’t budge from that view when asked about miscommunication possibly being a factor during that stretch.

He did say that the Bills will not “run from it” and will learn from how things played out against the Chiefs. With the next season starting in September, it will be quite some time before anyone will see the results of that effort.

Any early thoughts on what we need to draft and trade for before we give next season a crack ?

Protect your quarter billion dollar investment with at least two interior linemen. Add a burner at WR and one at CB. I think Singletary is serviceable but they may want a speedier RB. Those are the top priorities.

I think OLine, CB and LB are our needs. I think Singletary did enough the 2nd half of the season.

I would have said LB too but there is no way they ditch Edmunds (who I think struggles at times) and they do not play many 3-backer sets, so Klein only plays limited snaps. They might take a late-round flier on a LB but not in the first 4 rounds, unless they see a draft bargain.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would have said LB too but there is no way they ditch Edmunds (who I think struggles at times) and they do not play many 3-backer sets, so Klein only plays limited snaps. They might take a late-round flier on a LB but not in the first 4 rounds, unless they see a draft bargain.
Yeh fair point. I just think Edmonds becomes a liability on pass plays.

Bills close in on deal for new stadium

Posted by Mike Florio on March 4, 2022, 9:45 AM EST

When it comes to building a new stadium in Buffalo, it’s almost time to destroy a table.

According to Ben Fischer of Sports Business Journal, a deal is “nearly at hand” to build a new home for the Bills.

Per the report, the various parties are closing in on a cost-sharing arrangement “that would be among the most team-friendly splits in recent NFL memory.” In other words, the billionaires once again will be sticking someone else with the bulk of the tab for their brand-new venue.

The deal isn’t done, and nothing is ever done until it’s done. But it’s getting there. And the total public contribution could exceed more than $1 billion, with roughly $850 million going to the actual stadium construction costs.

At a time when fewer and fewer citizens believe taxpayer money should be devoted to the playgrounds of the American oligarchs, the ability of Bills owners Terry and Kim Pegula to shake so much cash out of the public coffers is impressive. Even if some Western New York residents would call the commandeering of so much public money for the project depressing.

But it would be even more depressing to lose the team. And the simple fact remains that, if Buffalo and Erie County weren’t willing to foot most of the bill, some other city/county/state would, if that means luring an NFL team to town.

Brandon Beane on promoting Ken Dorsey: Continuity for Josh Allen was important

Posted by Myles Simmons on March 3, 2022, 3:46 PM EST

Bills quarterback Josh Allen has been one of the best players in football over the last two seasons, perhaps best illustrated by his stellar performance in Buffalo’s loss to Kansas City in the divisional round.

So when Buffalo had to replace offensive coordinator Brian Daboll, who left the organization to become the Giants’ head coach, the club didn’t want much to change for the 25-year-old quarterback.

That’s a big part of why the Bills promoted Ken Dorsey from quarterbacks coach to OC.

“We definitely interviewed some other guys and got some different perspectives,” General Manager Brandon Beane said at the NFL Scouting Combine this week, via Chris Brown of the team’s website. “But in the end being able to keep so many things the same for Josh was important. Part of our plan when we got started was continuity for Josh, from the coaching staff, the organization, the plays, the protections. Even though we’ve got a new O-line coach [Aaron Kromer], we don’t have to change all the protections. He’s coming in to kind of learn our system. The more we can keep the same for Josh, the easier it will be to assimilate. Ken [Dorsey] is going to have his own nuances, everybody does, to how they do things. But a lot will be the same.

“So even though we’ve lost a lot of people, I don’t feel a lot is going to change for Josh, for the most part.”

The Bills hired Dorsey to be their quarterbacks coach in 2019 and added passing game coordinator to his title in 2021. He was previously the Panthers’ quarterbacks coach from 2013-2017.

Stadium deal for Bills is expected by April 1

Posted by Mike Florio on March 6, 2022, 1:45 PM EST

The Bills and the powers-that-be in New York are working toward a deal for a new stadium. On Friday, New York Governor Kathy Hochul acknowledged that the agreement will be reached soon.

Via Tim O’Shei of the Buffalo News, Hochul said Friday that the deal will be done by April 1, in time for the annual budget.

Roughly $850 million in public money will be devoted to the new stadium. Hochul defended that commitment by accurately pointing out that “teams have other options.” She also reportedly alluded to the fact that roughly a dozen other markets could support an NFL franchise.

“That’s why we’re negotiating very intently, to make sure we have the right outcome for this community,” Hochul said.

So, basically, the Bills never had to make the threat in order to convey the promise of potential relocation. They don’t need to bluff. Everyone knows how it works. If a team’s current market isn’t wiling to show up to the new-stadium party with a big sack of taxpayer money, some other city will.

And it doesn’t take a dozen. It only takes one

Remove this Banner Ad

Back