Teams Buffalo Bills - The Stampede

Remove this Banner Ad

The Athletic's Joe Buscaglia said Cole Beasley is functioning as Buffalo's "de facto running back."
Unable to move the ball on the ground with ineffective backs Devin Singletary and Zack Moss, the Bills have turned to Beasley as a way to rack up short gains while opposing defenses take away downfield shots to Emmanuel Sanders and Stefon Diggs. Another stagnant rushing game on Sunday against the Jaguars led to eight catches on 11 targets for 33 yards for Beasley, whose average depth of target on his first eight targets was a microscopic 1.8 yards. Beasley over the past month has surged back to fantasy relevance as the Bills' de facto running game -- similar to how Jaylen Waddle is used in Miami's offense. He's seen 34 targets over the Bills' past three games, far more than any other Buffalo pass catcher. Beasley should retain WR2 status in PPR formats unless and until the Bills figure out how to establish the run. Fantasy managers should note that Beasley's second half snaps against Jacksonville were severely limited while he dealt with an apparent injury. His Week 10 practice participation will be worth monitoring.
SOURCE: The Athletic
Nov 8, 2021, 9:26 AM ET

The Athletic's Joe Buscaglia said the Bills offense is getting "the Chiefs treatment," with opposing defenses using the "Cover-2 shell" approach.
In their Week 9 upset win over the Bills, Jacksonville's shoddy defense deployed a Cover-2 shell, "designed to take away long-ball opportunities by keeping each safety deep and anchored to one side of the field, giving ample support to the zone coverage of cornerbacks and linebackers in front of them." The Cover-2 shell forces otherwise high-flying offense to remain patient and take underneath throws rather than downfield shots, as the Bills did throughout 2020 and into 2021. And it can frustrate big-armed quarterbacks like Josh Allen (and Patrick Mahomes) accustomed to aggressive downfield passing. Against Jacksonville on Sunday, "the Bills had no answer other than to take what the Jaguars were ceding with underneath throws," Buscaglia said. Allen finished with 264 yards, no touchdowns, and two picks. If the Bills can't punish opponents with an effective rushing attack when defenses use the Cover-2 shell, their offense will be easily stopped, just as Kanas City's once-great offense has come to a screeching halt this season. Cole Beasley and other short-area pass catchers will retain their fantasy value for as long as Buffalo opponents deploy the Cover-2 shell. Stefon Diggs and Emmanuel Sanders are a different story. The team's Week 9 loss was "a massive signal to the rest of the league that the Bills are flawed offensively and there’s a formula to turn them from extraordinary to inefficient," Buscaglia said. "Until the Bills find those answers on offense, there could be more precarious weeks ahead."
RELATED:
Nov 8, 2021, 8:57 AM ET

The Athletic's Joe Buscaglia said Cole Beasley is functioning as Buffalo's "de facto running back."
Unable to move the ball on the ground with ineffective backs Devin Singletary and Zack Moss, the Bills have turned to Beasley as a way to rack up short gains while opposing defenses take away downfield shots to Emmanuel Sanders and Stefon Diggs. Another stagnant rushing game on Sunday against the Jaguars led to eight catches on 11 targets for 33 yards for Beasley, whose average depth of target on his first eight targets was a microscopic 1.8 yards. Beasley over the past month has surged back to fantasy relevance as the Bills' de facto running game -- similar to how Jaylen Waddle is used in Miami's offense. He's seen 34 targets over the Bills' past three games, far more than any other Buffalo pass catcher. Beasley should retain WR2 status in PPR formats unless and until the Bills figure out how to establish the run. Fantasy managers should note that Beasley's second half snaps against Jacksonville were severely limited while he dealt with an apparent injury. His Week 10 practice participation will be worth monitoring.
Nov 8, 2021, 9:26 AM ET

As someone who traded a third round pick for Beasley a few weeks ago im down with this.

Bills coach Sean McDermott ensured that "adjustments are being made" to the team's offense.
“I thought we’d be further along," McDermott said on the team's non-existent rushing attack. "I thought that we would have progressed in that area. It is something that we need to do and do better if we want to be the team that we’re trying to become. Complementary football, you stay on one side of the ball, the run, stopping the run helps to stop the pass. It just all fits together and has to work together. You’ve got to play a certain way in this league. And and that’s how we have to play. I can promise you that adjustments are being made." Josh Allen's 319 rushing yards have accounted for 33% of the team’s total through eight games this year, most recently causing Jacksonville to sit back and rush four bodies since Buffalo didn't offer any threat of running against them. If there was ever a time to 'get right' and try something new, it would be against the Jets' hapless front-seven.

Dawson Knox (hand) practiced on Thursday for the second consecutive day.
Depending on if he's listed as full or limited, Knox is likely to at least be on the optimistic side of questionable. With the Bills schedule continuing to be full of cupcake opponents, Knox will likely be a low-end TE1 if he plays.

Zack Moss (concussion) was a participant in Thursday's practice, but was wearing a non-contact jersey.
It's a good step for Moss getting cleared ahead of Sunday's game. Friday's practice status will determine if Moss is on the optimistic or pessimistic side of questionable. If he plays, Moss would seem to have another fairly ideal matchup against a Jets run defense that got housed by Indianapolis multiple times on Thursday night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Terrible first half then robbed out if it ......
If it wasn't for the first half no show I'd be fuming at some of those DPI calls/no calls for us.

It wasn't on the refs being down 21 but they should have called at least one of the three in Diggs' favour.

Whilst I'm here I'm worried the Bills ate doing with Allen what my Blueboys did with Cripps. Running him into the ground.

Sent from my SM-A530F using BigFooty.com mobile app

If it wasn't for the first half no show I'd be fuming at some of those DPI calls/no calls for us.

It wasn't on the refs being down 21 but they should have called at least one of the three in Diggs' favour.

Whilst I'm here I'm worried the Bills ate doing with Allen what my Blueboys did with Cripps. Running him into the ground.

Sent from my SM-A530F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Hoping first half was absolute rock bottom and now we are coming up from a slump....mind you been saying it for a month or so

Back on the horse with the win today
In our hands - win out and it’s our division. No excuses from here. A loss and could be out of the playoffs.
Feel like we win this week we are BIT , have momentum and win last 2 into playoffs.

Lose - wheels fall off , better luck in 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Back