Building The Perfect Pub

Remove this Banner Ad

Prog rock bar and steakhouse.
70s styled prog and blues bands playing everynight and a metal night inbetween.

Stained glass gothy windows and dark wood inside with orange candlelights to give it a cosy feel.

Nothing but Aussie craft beer on tap.

Steak and Nasi Goreng on the menu our specialties.:D

Yeah,I'd go to that pub.

Cbd

-Bar (no meals)
-Beer garden
-Stage / live music / comedy
-Pool or table tennis table
-Jukebox
-Premium spirits / fine wine bar
-Lounge
-Dance floor

Live music or comedy is my absolute most hated ******* thing at a venue. Jesus christ. So cringeworthy.

Nothing worse than walking into some new nearby pub on a quiet Sunday, grabbing a beer and then some never-will-be walks up, introduces himself, and plays his clingy originals or 'reimagined' covers. Shut up. A pub is for conversation or quiet relaxation.

Live music or comedy is my absolute most hated ******* thing at a venue. Jesus christ. So cringeworthy.

Nothing worse than walking into some new nearby pub on a quiet Sunday, grabbing a beer and then some never-will-be walks up, introduces himself, and plays his clingy originals or 'reimagined' covers. Shut up. A pub is for conversation or quiet relaxation.
???

I just hate live bands at pubs.

It's different when there's a bandroom. That's cool. But you pay to see those bands or go there with that purpose, or you willingly know it's a grungey/hip hop venue and it's part of their 'thing.'

But some suburban corner pub who usually have Groove Armada going through the soundsystem who somehow think the punters want some bloke on an acoustic on Sunday... we don't. They drown out conversation, the music is complete garbage (I hate Ed Sheeran enough, why do I want to hear inferior versions of it?), it's tacky. I just hate it.

Someone who can play acoustic and has a decent voice usually gives a good vibe.

Bands can be very hit and miss in a pub.

Grungy, untouched, full of locals, inner city Melbourne, circa early 80s,only thing on tap is Carlton Draught

I just hate live bands at pubs.

It's different when there's a bandroom. That's cool. But you pay to see those bands or go there with that purpose, or you willingly know it's a grungey/hip hop venue and it's part of their 'thing.'

But some suburban corner pub who usually have Groove Armada going through the soundsystem who somehow think the punters want some bloke on an acoustic on Sunday... we don't. They drown out conversation, the music is complete garbage (I hate Ed Sheeran enough, why do I want to hear inferior versions of it?), it's tacky. I just hate it.
Nothing worse than wanting a chat and a beer and some s**t band hops up and blasts your eardrums to oblivion, ruining the atmosphere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

inner suburban or cbd.

tab, public bar serving a cheap, classic menu with decent rotating specials, bartenders with a decent chat. somewhere they let you run a tab.

seats at the bar. no live music. happy our from four to six, keeping the pot glasses chilled. few craft beer taps for something different, but kept reasonably priced.

beer garden that's not full of kids and people bringing their dogs.

perhaps a weekly trivia. shitty memorabilia on the walls.

Better spend a week down here and see how good you have it.

nah, most of them -- nearly all have shitty pokies in them.

in saying that the courthouse in newtown or the Shakespeare hotel in surry hils is my kind of pub... old, with character and some interesting random conversations.

nah, most of them -- nearly all have shitty pokies in them.

in saying that the courthouse in newtown or the Shakespeare hotel in surry hils is my kind of pub... old, with character and some interesting random conversations.
Forresters or Bat and Ball for me :)

My perfect bar needs to have at least one night of the week where after 10pm they rotate between live band and dj for music.
The option to hit the d-floor is essential, otherwise it's just a bunch of dudes sitting in corners drinking and yelling. Music also increases female presence, which is always nice to ensure a bar isn't a sausage-fest. Happy-hours or 2for1 specials are also looked upon highly.

The Precinct hotel in Richmond is a great example of the close to perfect pub/bar for me.
Outdoor area out the back with heaps of good screens to watch live sports. Indoor area that has band/dj on Saturday nights. Good food, good crowd, across the road from a train station. Lacking in things like a pool table though, and no rooftop area is also a negative point.

My perfect bar doesn't need a TAB and pokies, save that for the Saturday afternoon local.

My perfect bar needs to have at least one night of the week where after 10pm they rotate between live band and dj for music.
The option to hit the d-floor is essential, otherwise it's just a bunch of dudes sitting in corners drinking and yelling. Music also increases female presence, which is always nice to ensure a bar isn't a sausage-fest. Happy-hours or 2for1 specials are also looked upon highly.

The Precinct hotel in Richmond is a great example of the close to perfect pub/bar for me.
Outdoor area out the back with heaps of good screens to watch live sports. Indoor area that has band/dj on Saturday nights. Good food, good crowd, across the road from a train station. Lacking in things like a pool table though, and no rooftop area is also a negative point.

My perfect bar doesn't need a TAB and pokies, save that for the Saturday afternoon local.
Precinct is a ******* bogan magnet. Great pub setup, but too packed for me.

Needs the second level to be another open pub level and a rooftop section. If that was the setup, it would be amazing.

The corner is a shithole.

If Precinct had a second level/Rooftop, the bottom level would be amazing.

People go straight to the top. In Fitzroy, those rooftop pubs are great because the bottom level is empty and you can chill with a proper beer, whilst the tarts and heros sit upstairs

Precinct is a ******* bogan magnet. Great pub setup, but too packed for me.

Needs the second level to be another open pub level and a rooftop section. If that was the setup, it would be amazing.

The corner is a shithole.
I just love the mix there of an awesome place to watch sport then hit the dancefloor after. Had a heap of good nights there.
The Hawthorn is another one I love.
Bogans? Probably. Would rather be out with them than the fully sick wogs you get at half the places in the city.

21 taps
7 Dedicated to local beers
7 National
7 International

Probably keep it to 75/100 capacity, Older building, have a back room for events, tastings, industry nights.
Food probably something fairly simple, nothing over 30 dollars. Taster paddles for say 4 tasters of 125ml for 20 bucks so you could sample everything.

Oh wait, It's called the Dutch Trading Company in Victoria Park in WA.

* i love that place

Remove this Banner Ad

Back