Building up strength after dieting

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 29, 2007
The Great Wall of Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Steelers Pistons Eels A's Red-Wings
I am interested in finding out from people, who may have some personal experience or in- depth knowledge, what is the best way to approach improving strength, conditioning and power through both diet and exercise (without incorporating supplements).

Over the course of the last 15 months, give or take, I have preceded to work off, through a great deal of commitment and discipline, 27kg of weight dropping from my heaviest of 108kg down to 81.5kg. In terms of aerobic fitness and my diet I feel fantastic, but I have decided that it is time to build up some strength and power over the course of this year so as I can return to playing seniors football in 2010.

My regime whilst dieting is to exercise 2-3 times a day, usually abdominal work in the morning, skipping or some sport in the afternoon, followed by a 6km+ run after dinner. This was broken up by some albeit basic weights work as well as swimming, bike riding, boxing & beach runs over summer. In terms of diet, I eat 3 good sized meals a day avoiding overly fatty foods

Utilising some tips that I've picked up, I've started doing weights work at home 3 times a week & planning to start gym classes in rowing and gymstick and perhaps boxing as well. I have also dropped my exercise to 1-2 times a day. What concerns me is having to eat 2-3 extra small meals a day to add protein and carbohydrates (which I don't like doing, because I figure only exercising once for the whole day is just storing my unused energy as fat).

Can I either...

A. Exercise the amount I was (just with more power training), whilst eating more or
B. Exercise less and stick to the diet I had.

What is the best approach? Responses apprecieted.

I've been back in the gym for 3 weeks now after chemotherapy and have added plenty of strength in that time and my body has already changed shape.

I spend 6 days in the gym working day 1 chest, shoulders, tri's, day 2 lats, bi's and abs, and day 3 legs, repeated x 2 per week then have a day off.

This sort of program gives you the desired time to recover from your workouts.

I do 3 cardio sessions per week.

This has me in the sort of condition after only around a month that could see me back playing footy and competing if only I could feel my hands and feet (chemo destroyed my nerves), but I'm a fitness fanatic.

The right diet is very important especially with resistance work. You could up your diet with carbs and protein as long as you keep up your cardio.

Remember now that you're at your desired weight it's not a case of more energy out than in, it's a case of getting the right amount of fuel in your body to support the cardio, and resistance work.

Honestly though I would look at some sort of supplement.

Honestly though I would look at some sort of supplement.

Why supplements?

If you want to up your training, you'll need to work out your caloric requirements based on height, weight, age, gender and training load.

How heavily have you dieted though? What did you drop your calorie intake to? One of those very low calorie diets will wreck your metabolism. However the exercise helps keep it up, depends on if you've lost much muscle mass.

if u want to put on strength its plain and simple. lift heavy!

lift heavy weights, low reps, of 80 to 90% of your REM. eg. 5 sets of 6

you will have to supplement, no two ways about it.

get an isolate whey protein to have in the morning with WATER (not milk) and then one post workout.

secondly i would also purchase a creatine with an esther attached for pre-workout about 15 minutes before. Do not go to GNC they are a rip off and have terrible products. u want a creatine NANO or BULL.

you don't have to train heavy every session. cut down to 3 days heavy a week. and concentrate on all the main compound movements.

Squats
Military Press
Bench Press - Flat/Incline/Decline
Pull Ups
Dead Lifts

If you do not squat or dead lift you WILL NOT see significant gains.

Make sure u learn proper technique for both these exercises... start EXTREMELY light. until your technique is sound before you even attempt to go heavier.

Oh and EAT EAT EAT. high protein low fat foods, get all your carbs in for the day for breakfast and lunch. Try to limit your carbs in the latter half of the day. 6 to 8 small meals a day. Cottage Cheese half an hour before bed.

If your doing all this... but at the same time doing cardio and everything else your doing. you will put strength on in no time and you will keep your weight down as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back