Building your own home

Remove this Banner Ad

To apply for it. Have submitted half the required documents, just want to know if you can submit in the "other" section multiple times or if it greys out after one document ?
Nah fill your boots, get as much as you can in there....they'll let you know what your missing.

Hit with a variation for extra cable from the power box in the street to the meter box. If they put the Meter box on the right hand side of the house it wouldn't have been an issue. It's minor but paying for their ******* stupidity pisses me.

What's the go with fences ? Anyone had issues before with neighbours and pricing ?
Here in NSW it’s 50/50 on a ‘sufficient fence’ - technically if one person wants anything more than the cheapest option, they need to foot the bill for the difference

In practice I think most people go 50/50, although sometimes one person will pay more so they get more of a say in what it looks like

Our neighbours are currently building, we let them choose the fencing in exchange for us not having to pay

Last edited:
I paid for all 3 in my last place
I wanted to go very high and then topped with lattice to go higher again and wanted them all to match
The neighbours were elderly and didnt really want or need new fences.

I had my mate a tradie around he was giving me the local goss

One guy went for a walk on the beach runs into a stranger who says thats a nice house
He says its mine
I wouldnt mind buying it
Its not for sale
Everythings for sale come up with a number
He says 8 mil
The guy goes ok I will get my people to talk to your people tomorrow
The place is getting knocked down and new place is planned with a heli pad

Another guy just pays nearly 3 mill for another place and says he doesnt like the roof so he is taking it off and putting in another storie and a heli pad

The place has gone mad with city folks post covid
Similar story, mate of my dads owns a beach front house he built himself, gets an offer for 5mil.. nah mate not selling comes back 5.5 sorry mate.. comes back again month later 6m...
Sold.. guys a builder and his family home..rich get richer

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What is a single gate with return, in fence terms ?

Is that the front with a gate and down 1 side of the house ?

I have in my contract "50% of fencing to be given back to client for rear and 1 side.

"Builder to single gate with return".

If I ever get filthy rich, I am buying a block of land, building a home with a pool going around the whole house. Watch this space.

Yeah, minus the draw bridge.
entrance via perspex tube
iu

Looks great.

Have you got hinges on those plantation shutters. I.e. they open inwards towards the bench as well as being able to adjust the blind position? What kind of windows behind?

*asking for a friend looking at blinds :)
Yeah, they can open outward toward the kitchen, aside from the one in front of the tap.

And they are on just standard winding windows. You can't have them on slide ones I believe.

Looks fantastic. Well done. We've just had a heap of shutters put in too as well as some proper curtains like those. ******* expensive but it's amazing how much difference they make. Worth every penny and I just wish we'd done it sooner.
Thanks Fishy. We are getting them in the study and the bathroom and toilet (the latter two much to my dismay), but a place feels so much more homey with curtains/blinds etc.

And you're right, not cheap!

Our house isn't big (26sq), and my MIL works at a curtain shop so we got a discount, but it still cost us 12k. (S fold sheers on all windows, block out curtains in 4 rooms, 3x shutters, 2x roller blinds)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back