Autopsy Bulldogs 103 - Carlton 100. A win, but a loss at the same time?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry to intrude but Pat Lipinski was very impressive.
Just wondering where he has been all year?
I think only a couple of games this year, he is very talented, is he normally in the best 22?

A few issues but at least the win.
Good luck for the rest of the season.
Was very poor in JLT and so had to work back through the vfl. Classy player but serious lack of pace is the question mark.

At least we have an answer for the most overrated 7 goal game of all time.

3 soft charity giveaways that could even have made Ben Brown cringe, a 4th to the square when he acted to play on (although good mark & very kickable before that) but aside from that he didn’t show anything we haven’t already seen. Sure it’s an impressive figure, but make it 3 or 4 & it’s not really standout

First time we've won a last quarter to record a win for a while. Losing Libba a massive blow to our structure. Give the boys some credit (except for Dale, Williams, Cordy). We gifted them some soft free kicks.

We still lost the last quarter, we led by 6pts at 3/4 time & won by 3pts

Our inability to lock down Curnow was concerning but it seemed it was mostly Cordy who took him.

Our midfield setup took a huge hit with the loss of Liberatore, but thanks to the 3rd and 4th quarter efforts from a few such as suckling the result was for the better. Still annoyed that we let them kick back into the game late in the last quarter

One of the worst defensive efforts I can ever remember.

We did look better with English up forward, but Gardner needs to move back. He got his hands to a few, but nothing stuck.

To Tassie? That's a bit rough. :p

Every post you make is negative trash and you contribute to making this board a chore. If you were getting paid and I was Chief, I'd sack you.
If you don’t think tonight’s game was negative for our club, you are very delusional

Trengove as first ruck?

He beat McKay comfortably tonight in defence.

English was good in the ruck, but also good forward. How we split it, I don’t know.

Trengove has been largely a liability defensively in last few weeks, but was better today. I’m not convinced it’s sustainable in the longer term.

Having said that - we are obviously one good KPD short.

That was extremely stressful. Counts as a win, but that performance was not good. Dunkley was excellent.

The commentary standard of Channel Seven is appalling.
Thought our guys should have sung Carlton’s song instead of ours to keep the Channel 7 commentators happy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feel sorry for Cordy.

He's being asked to do a job for which he's not equipped.

Not his fault we have developed key defenders appallingly.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I called him the worst key back in the comp and unfortunately I’m standing by that claim. It does however beg the question - where is he suited to play? I know he played forward a bit in 2016, so do we try him there? If that doesn’t work out, where on earth can he play?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

English was good in the ruck, but also good forward. How we split it, I don’t know.

I'd prefer to see English develop in the ruck rested on the forwardline as a 70/30 split. He's slowly getting there and has the around ground mobility to back himself.

Can someone remind me, is there a point to Bailey Dale as an AFL footballer?

And old mate Dickson is just about charcoal.

Kudos to Dunks who is a very good inside mid. Amazing to watch him play...as an inside mid.

Bont is silk. English going to be good.

Cordy needs a change up . Maybe play him fwd? Like when we won the flag?😱😱

Tough going with just the one true fwd (Lloyd)...maybe I dunno recruit some?😬😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱

I’m glad we won but very disappointed with how we played in the third quarter particularly. In the last we let them grab momentum and couldn’t seem to get a centre clearance in that period where they were dominating.

We are still a very young side and so very inconsistent. Sometimes our kicking skills are deplorable.

Good games by Dunks and Lipinski. The Bont also played well. We really missed Libba once he went off hurt. We don’t seem to have anyone else willing to play with a bit of mongrel and push the other team around. Dunkley goes hard but he is not going to get stuck into the other team and open up his team mates like Libba does. Bont and Macrae have it so much easier when Libba is in the middle. He is crucial to how we play and we are going to miss him a great deal.

Some head scratching decisions by the umpires against both teams.

It definitely felt like a loss and I won’t be watching a replay of that game anytime soon, but I’m sure when I wake up tomorrow morning I’ll feel much better that we won instead of how I have felt in the past losing to Carlton, Gold Coast and North. We did plenty right in that game but just dropped our intensity when we thought we had the game won and kept letting them get the momentum.

I called him the worst key back in the comp and unfortunately I’m standing by that claim. It does however beg the question - where is he suited to play? I know he played forward a bit in 2016, so do we try him there? If that doesn’t work out, where on earth can he play?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yeah I was asking myself the same thing. We try him forward, if it doesn’t work, I think it’s time to trade him, would be happy with a 3rd rounder

Why does beveridge continue to play English 90% in the ruck??

Needs a much more even balance between ruck and forward.

I just don’t get it at all.

Not gonna defend Bevs reasoning for this move. But it’s 50% dictated by the hunk of **** that is the KPP group.

Trengroves forced back (even though I hate him there) cause we have weak clueless KPDs in reserve.

If I had my way all of English, Naughton and Cordy would play in the forward line. Trengrove to the ruck. No one decent to play back though. And by decent I mean half decent.

Beveridge on such thin ice.

Far too reactive and has no plan b.

We have one of the youngest and talented midfields in the comp, yet are pissing it away week after week. Wasting the best years of bont and macrae.

Disheartened to say the least, but I'll bank the win and cross my fingers that this is all part of the grand plan.

A Plan B: Like moving The Bont forward at the start of the last when we couldn't buy a goal for most of the 3rd a move on which our match winning lead was built or the other Plan B: Of sending Naughton back as soon as the momentum swung towards Carlton mid way through the last? I'm sure there were any number of moves made in the box when the game looked to be slipping from our grasp but these two were clearly the most obvious. If you or anybody else believe that the whorey old trope of an entire coaching panel not having a Plan B and just sitting on their hands for extended periods of a game, then you are clearly kidding yourself.

Large patches of that game were truely shitful from our point of view, but I'd be pointing the bone at our midfield group for answers if I were you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back