Autopsy Bulldogs 103 - Carlton 100. A win, but a loss at the same time?

Remove this Banner Ad

So you think no one should question the head coach when he makes obvious crazy decisions?

What’s your definition of “ question “ in this situation, Braybrook ?
You seem to be in the corner with those that want someone to tell Bev to pull his head in, which I can’t relate to, so elaborate for me and I’ll let you know what I think.

What’s your definition of “ question “ in this situation, Braybrook ?
You seem to be in the corner with those that want someone to tell Bev to pull his head in, which I can’t relate to, so elaborate for me and I’ll let you know what I think.
Question his moves and tactics, team selection etc.. mate

Question his moves and tactics, team selection etc.. mate

I know what you mean in that sense.

If it’s simply asking questions around the selection table and coaches meetings then yes. Of course it needs to happen. It’s been part of the backroom discussion at any club I’ve been involved at so I’m 99.99999% sure it happens at the dogs.

Where do you sit with this ? You seem to think our assistants don’t ask questions or offer different opinions ? Or you think they do and Bevo ignores them ?

Also, I’m interested to know what decisions you find crazy ?

Last edited:
Wasn't at the game but on TV it looked like Bont was coming in for some borderline unfair treatment by his Carlton taggers. Lots of late pushes in the back, arm chopping etc.

Without Libba there to help him out, it would be great if one of our other mids got stuck in. We never have anyone who looks remotely like getting reported in the midfield. Not that I welcome reports, but it's all a bit too gentlemanly out there. We haven't even had a good old melee in yonks.

Bailey Smith has a bit of mongrel but he's just a kid. We need someone to fly the flag and protect our best ball user.

Don't really get why everybody hated Williams game- the third quarter Clanger not withstanding. Did some really nice evasions and contributed to at least two of our goals ( watch the lead up to alloys first goal). Not sure what everyone expects fro him. He just needs to play, a bit like Lipinski.

Watching a different bloke to me them mate

Got constantly out of position
Gave away free kicks
Beat in contested marking
Beat in one on ones all night.
Gave away a stupid 50(well 5 but it was still dumb)

Honestly thought he was a liability

Wasn't at the game but on TV it looked like Bont was coming in for some borderline unfair treatment by his Carlton taggers. Lots of late pushes in the back, arm chopping etc.

Without Libba there to help him out, it would be great if one of our other mids got stuck in. We never have anyone who looks remotely like getting reported in the midfield. Not that I welcome reports, but it's all a bit too gentlemanly out there. We haven't even had a good old melee in yonks.

Bailey Smith has a bit of mongrel but he's just a kid. We need someone to fly the flag and protect our best ball user.

Incidentally, I taught Rhylee West for half a term or so when I was doing my teaching placement. He once punched a kid in PE for no apparent reason. Maybe he can call back to his grade 6 self.

Was happy/relieved we won. Lipinski, Dunkley and English very good.

Good to see some new names in the bests. Few too many passengers though. Some changes need to be made. Either bring in a KPD or another KPF to push Gardner in the backline.

Three things

1. we could have won by more if we played bailey dale. (Is there a 'stupendous biggest ever sarcasm emoji'?)

2. Is Lipinski that slow? His leaving Cripps in his wake when he kicked his goal has me questioning his supposed lack of pace. (would have Cripps in the dogs team in a heartbeat)

3.Gardner is the slowest AFL player ever. Was he injured?

Frustratingly Macrae seems to have reverted back to some of the habits that he displayed when he first arrived on the scene. That of the dinky, short kicks at oblique angles and a distinct aversion to the safer long kick to a contest down the line. To my mind although he continues to rack 'em up and put his head over the ball he just hasn't been as effective a mid with ball in hand as he has been in recent years.

Thats the whole team against the blues, we were trying to be retain the ball at all costs.

Dale is averaging 12 possessions a game. Hardly touched the ball last night, but do you drop him for one terrible game?

Last edited:
One further point, I posted on here recently that the Dogs lack matchwinners with the Bont the only player who can single handedly change the course of a game. Cudos to Suckling who, imo, saved us from defeat with hid efforts in the third quarter.

English saved us too. Wouldn’t have come close without him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wish we had a better second ruck. Gardner/Naughton/Bont/Dunkley ain’t it.
Our best second ruck is English.
I hope we roll the dice with Sweet this week, even to give him a taste against Grundy and allow English to spend a little more time forward where he looks genuinely dangerous.
We won't though.

One further point, I posted on here recently that the Dogs lack matchwinners with the Bont the only player who can single handedly change the course of a game. Cudos to Suckling who, imo, saved us from defeat with hid efforts in the third quarter.
Hunter lifted markedly in the third as well. He went to the contest more instead of playing outside and won clearances.

Thats the whole team against the blues, we were trying to be retain the ball at all costs.

Dale is averaging 12 possessions a game. Hardly touched the ball last night, but do you drop him for one terrible game?

I think its been evident for much of the season.

I also think that Dale will make way for Wests' debut this week.

Hunter lifted markedly in the third as well. He went to the contest more instead of playing outside and won clearances.

Im not his biggest fan clearly, but Hunters running up and down the ground providing a link to a spluttering midfield when it could get its hands on the ball was very noticeable.

At least Bont was not being double and triple teamed like Cripps it was only Ed Curnow all 180 cm of him.

Our best second ruck is English.
I hope we roll the dice with Sweet this week, even to give him a taste against Grundy and allow English to spend a little more time forward where he looks genuinely dangerous.
We won't though.

No chance Sweet gets a game under Beveridge. Plays like a younger Campbell, gets hitouts but doesn't provide that marking option around the ground that Bev wants. Until that changes I don't see it happening.

Judging by his Fantasy score, I'm guessing Macrae spent most of the game in the midfield instead of half forward? Surely Libba out helps his midfield minutes too... Might have to grab him again

Outside of the 1st quarter, this was really a tale of individuals instead of a team. Dunkley, Lipinski, Bont, Hunter, Suckling all played very well but there were just as many that completely spudded it up.

I've been a critic of the way English has been handled this season, and this game showed both sides to the argument. He probably showed the most "glimpses" he's ever shown (some great taps and marks), but at the same time was beaten by Kreuzer and really wasn't able to win contests at critical times to stop their run out of the midfield when they were surging.

We are still clearly 2 talls short (one at each end). I'd have Schache, Roberts and Young in next week and Gardner out

Remove this Banner Ad

Back