Analysis Bulldogs 2020 - What to expect?

Remove this Banner Ad

I know I myself wouldn't be too overly surprised to see the dogs under perform next year. It's pretty clear that most outsiders rate this group highly and think they should improve in 2020, and probably improve again in 2021 etc. But in the AFL there are no sure bets and just like Melbourne in 2019, highly rated teams can flop if a few things go wrong.

My question might be what does the long-term backline look like? There are still a number of players in the dogs best 22/close to who are going to be 30ish soon and do not offer much in the form of long term solutions. Suckling, Duryea, Trengove, and even Easton Wood are all getting towards the back end of their careers. I have questions about what does the backline look like in 2022 (when most people think they'll be competing), as no doubt having a strong defense will be key for the success of this dogs team.
In terms of long term players, we currently have:

KPD - Lewis Young, Zaine Cordy, Ryan Gardner
Running half backs - Ed Richards, Laitham Vandermeer, Brad Lynch
Tall rebounders - Lachie Young, Buku Khamis
Others (mediums, smalls) - Bailey Williams, Caleb Daniel

• Gardner has been trialled up forward due to serious needs in the middle of the season, but that didn't go so well. I feel he played his best VFL footy down back, so he could be a possible solution for long term KPD, but I think it's more likely than not that he's delisted this year.
  • Young I'm very confident will be a very good player for us long term, as he's showed a huge amount of potential in his limited number of games.
  • Cordy has been fairly reliable for years now, but plays his best footy taking the 2nd or 3rd tall, rather than being relied on as the number 1 KPD. Young + Cordy is a better combination than Fletch + Hamling IMO.

• For running half backs, we already saw what Richards was capable of in his first year, but team needs meant that he was forced into a half forward / wing role that he was not really suited to. Hopefully we can see him down back again.
  • Laitham Vandermeer looks like a JJ clone from what I've seen of him. Yet to debut, but has done very well at VFL level so far and I think he will definitely slot in once JJ slows down (potentially even before then).
  • Brad Lynch showed immense promise at the end of 2018, yet didn't play a single game in 2019 and was barely good enough for our VFL side. No idea what happened to him. Also unclear whether he's a half back, half forward or winger in the long term (if he even makes it into the 22).

• Lachie Young will definitely make our 22 in the long term, the kid is very impressive. So much physicality despite being fairly skinny right now. Great read of the ball, strong overhead mark, very good foot skills (he's Hayden Young's older brother, so the skills runs in the family)
  • Buku Khamis is one of those low risk, high reward type of players. Really looks like a straight up Easton Wood replacement, but still needs a lot of direction on field and will take a few years to get there in my opinion. His tank was awful when he arrived at the club, but is working on that.

• We all know what Caleb Daniel can do. The question isn't on whether he's good enough, but more on whether his long term role is down back, or elsewhere.
  • Bailey Williams has been extremely hot and cold over the last couple of seasons. When asked to be liable for his direct opponent, he has struggled at times. When we have a strong back 6 in place, with enough KPD support, he really gets the opportunity to shine. Fantastic interceptor, really good evasion in traffic, and gives a bit of x-factor to the back 6. Really need a solid defence around him though. Without it, he's not best 22.

If we're talking 2022, assuming a few of our guys will have retired by then, I can imagine our defence looking something like:\

FB: Taylor Duryea - Lewis Young - Zaine Cordy
CHB: Bailey Williams - Alex Keath - Ed Richards

Interchange: Lachie Young - Laitham Vandermeer (one of the defenders or bench player rotating elsewhere on the field)

I know. That's why in my OP I said it will be a different story for the doggies in 2021, and predicted they'll win a final this year. They'll improve this year, but so will WC (Kelly), GWS (Conigs, Ward etc), and arguably Richmond (improvement of Stack, Pickett, etc, only Houli really getting old), and Brisbane (young list). Coll'wood with no injuries could too. Only Geelong look set to really slide.
It is looking tough at the top, I like it.

If you make it ( top 4) you are not making up the numbers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back