Bulldogs Board Mock Draft - 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

I've enjoyed myself. Know a lot more draftees than I did beforehand too. This is my first year following footy but I'm a bit obsessive about learning when I discover a new thing I like.

I've enjoyed myself. Know a lot more draftees than I did beforehand too. This is my first year following footy but I'm a bit obsessive about learning when I discover a new thing I like.
I've always found things like mock drafts as a great way to appreciate the smaller things that can make a player valuable. Every first round draftee is basically just a regular "this kid is fast, jumps high and kicks the ball far". The later picks you really have to assess their strengths and weaknesses, and see what separates them from hundreds of other 17/18 year olds hoping to be drafted

Hawthorn
Pick 12 - Elijah Taylor
Pick 19 - Finn Maginness
Pick 51 - Flynn Perez
Pick 55 - Tyrone Thorne
Went in with a semi plan. Thought there was half a chance Finn would get bid on just before the first pick. If that was the case it would have been a difficult decision to take him then have the next live pick at 30 iirc. When selection 12 came up all the previous picks had taken who i considered clear linear talent. With Hawthorn losing Cyril, Roughy retiring, Breust getting older and Poppy on his last legs there is a clear need for forward talent to come through the doors.

Taylor could be anything, or nothing, but with Hawthorns success with aboriginal players in the past and their clear elite environment, as Mojo alluded too, my thinking was the same. Pickett was in the region as well. After Finn made it past the first pick it was essentially a free pass at two higher ended talents. Could have gone 'safe' with a McAsey on a needs basis, but the forwardline seemed more pressing.

Perez i don't know much about but he seems to have some assets, albeit he's been injured, that the Hawks need on the outside, especially with Smith getting older.

I s**t the bed on the third. Had a 'i should have said' moment after the fact. Probably bidding on another Freo next gen may have seen weltschmerz take that player instead of Isiah Butters. Rate this kid.

Tyrone Thorne is just an animal. Watch him play. He's leadership, upon repeat effort and possesses a real abilty to read the opening play. Hopefully he doesn't play while theres a stiff breeze. Hes like a Dahlhaus in his prime with better disposal. He also fits in as an integration for Taylor if homesickness concerns are valid.

Fremantle

5: Dylan Stephens
8. Liam Henry
26. Trent Bianco
44. Mitch Georgiades
51: Isaiah Butters

Not a bad batch, though forward-heavy. If Butters hadn't been picked, I was planning on getting Ronin O'Connor with my fifth pick, for midfield grunt. I was aiming for pace, kick, and X-factor. If Henry had gone after pick 10 I would have grabbed Deven Robertson, and if live trading outside round 1 had been a thing I would have traded a future pick for Cam Taheny.

Stephens is a clear need and my first choice as a speedy winger with endurance. Henry was obvious. Bianco was among the best available, and I rate his kick from half-back; hope he puts on a bit of muscle. Georgiades was best available.

Last edited:
Sorry guys, I don't have the typical 9-5 like most.

With Pick 66, Carlton select Jai Jackson

25/04/2001 | 185cm/81kg | Medium Forward EAST FREMANTLE/WESTERN AUSTRALIA One of two Jackson’s from Western Australia, Jai is a very different player to Luke with the medium forward a creative type who sets teammates up. He is competitive and is best known for his fierce attack on the ball, laying double-figure tackles on multiple occasions this year for East Fremantle in the WAFL. Hit the scoreboard more as the season went on, and was solid in the Black Ducks’ side.

weltschmerz

Last edited:
Pick 68 - Jesse Clark

23/02/2001 | 188cm/80kg | Medium Defender GEELONG FALCONS/VIC COUNTRY Clark was one of the top rebounders in the NAB League competition this year and held down a spot in defence for Vic Country at the Under-18 Championships. While his athletic profile is not overly flattering, he has good natural football smarts and generally uses the ball well out of defence. His best traits are his positioning inside the defensive 50 and providing composure out of defence

Southern 8

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apologies if I got my pick number wrong. Pick before mine was 65, yet the first page says its pick 63.

Missed all my targets with the second round pick, which is why I accepted a slight downgrade in the first round. And failed to land a small pressure forward with some class as intended. Probably a B- or C from me. But added some class from the backline and a solid winger. So addresses two of the three needs.

Apologies if I got my pick number wrong. Pick before mine was 65, yet the first page says its pick 63.

Missed all my targets with the second round pick, which is why I accepted a slight downgrade in the first round. And failed to land a small pressure forward with some class as intended. Probably a B- or C from me. But added some class from the backline and a solid winger. So addresses two of the three needs.
I've removed the passed picks which is why the numbers have got weird. Was getting really cluttered and not exactly clear who was coming up

Bit hard on yourself buddy, some upside there, had you taking "Janet" at that pick.

Bit hard on yourself buddy, some upside there, had you taking "Janet" at that pick.

Yeah I guess so haha. We are all our harshest critics as they say. I don't mind my choices at all. It is a weak draft depth wise after all, so its slim pickings for all of us after pick 30. That's why I went players with more natural football ability more than athleticism late, as there is more chance of them coming through. Felt I reached for Shute at 30, but then again he wouldn't be there at my next pick in the 60's

Pardon me for being out of touch, but which player is "Janet"?

Thanks Virgin Dog for tagging me in this. First time doing it, was interesting.

Yeah I guess so haha. We are all our harshest critics as they say. I don't mind my choices at all. It is a weak draft depth wise after all, so its slim pickings for all of us after pick 30. That's why I went players with more natural football ability more than athleticism late, as there is more chance of them coming through. Felt I reached for Shute at 30, but then again he wouldn't be there at my next pick in the 60's

Pardon me for being out of touch, but which player is "Janet"?

Thanks Virgin Dog for tagging me in this. First time doing it, was interesting.
You're not out of touch "Janet" is Jai Jackson or J. Jackson, I like to give them names, you followed up Shooter
with Janet, it's my problem not yours.

Sorry guys, been flat out with work, and I'm on WA time (3 hours behind Vic) so have only just got the chance to update the thread.

Looks like it's Collingwood's pick since North have run out of picks - GreatSouthWest

Pick 67 - Angus Baker

Sydney have been watching him this year, and he was named the NEAFL rising star for good reason. Trained with the Swans last year too but missed out on a rookie spot. This year, I think he's done well enough to justify a spot on the senior list. Is a ball magnet playing in the midfield, and has a great endurance base and leg speed that will see him feature in the 22 this year. I haven't grabbed a proper inside mid yet, and I think Baker is a no-brainer for this pick after considering a few others (Potter, Garcia and Warner were the main ones)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back