Autopsy Bulldogs defeat Freo by 65 pts

Remove this Banner Ad

Just for some perspective (and for fun!) here are some comments from the WC board after their Rd1 Loss to the Dogs last year:
"Interesting comments.. One thing is I don't agree that dogs look a top 6 side. We are just well off being a top 8 side and will be for a few seasons probably. The reality is that there are teams that finished lower than us last year that will likely beat is this year."
"This season will have some unexpected wins but unexpected losses. I don't think we're much of a finals contention"
"Not worth it. I'm sick of us being excellent at both ends but poor in the midfield, and therefore not being a decent side. Let's pool everything we have into improving our tired, slow, inept midfield."
"I cooled off and then read "Yoe was good tonight", now I have to go through the cooling off process again. Dropped marks, s**t kicks, s**t kicks, dropped marks. Kids in for a tough year"
"Neither side will go far this year, both teams around the 12th mark"
"We were spanked tonight. Don't let a lopsided goalscoring accuracy fool you. It's going to be a long season"
"I'm sorry but I'm over this joke of an organisation. Laughable."
"Unfortunately, I also think its going to be a long, frustrating year for us."
"Im pretty sure that we're going to be on the wrong side of a fair few shellackings this year and the bottom 4 is looking like a distinct possibility"
......The point is, it was the first game. No need to completely panic just yet. Its a long season :)

Watching the Hawks/Geelong game both teams kept their forward structure and didn't commit everyone to the back half when the other side got a run of goals like we seemed to do.

While this stemmed the flow of doggie goals after qtr time it made it near impossible to get the ball out. Bombing it long to clear the D50 hoping someone could take a 1v3 pack mark or work some miracle with a ground ball. Us keeping our forward structure means the Doggies can't press up as much as they did.

I feel like this is one reason we struggle to come back from a large deficit. We go into full conservative mode putting players behind the ball to stem the tide which is fine but we take too long in going back to attack mode.

The people at the game, could you see the shift in our structure from qtr to qtr or am I talking out my behind? Did we free it back up after half time, is that why we got back in it before giving up in the last?

I so totally agree. I am overseas and haven't seen Sunday's game (thank heavens), but I am convinced that part of our ball movement problem, and thus our scoring problem, is because we don't hold our structure forward of the ball. I don't think we can assess our forwards until we are getting the ball movement that other teams are getting.

I think the guys blaming our game plan, or our lack of run, or think that the weekend's skills were reflective of where we're actually at should watch the game again. And watch what happens off the ball.

The big thing on the weekend - is that our players just didn't give a s**t. There was no effort and we got spanked and none of them cared. I just think there's something wrong at the club at the moment - and it's not football ability (except for the few guys that we know is ability but have been carried coughmayne).

And what you miss on the tv is how much the guys just wandered from contest to contest - if they bothered trying at all. How little communication there was between players. How little leadership there was on field. I've never seen the guys run out on to the field before the game with less enthusiasm.

Look at how many marks Ibbo dropped
And how bad Hill kicked
Our best players were terrible at the usual best aspects of their games

Use Fyfe as a barometer - even taking into account that he was injured at the beginning of the game. The last couple of years you'll see him rallying the mids, calling the plays, really being an on-field leader. On the weekend he was quiet as a mouse. Every game that's close, or we're losing, he'll bust his ass (or his leg) to get us back into the game, yet on the weekend he gave up as quick as the rest of the team.

This game screamed of off-field issues, not on.

What off field issues though? Can't be in-fighting surely, as surely the training watchers would have had a whiff of it this summer. Even when we played NAB, the guys going at 70% seemed still motivated enough to push for a win.

I'd rather believe we deliberately tanked the game to expose our structures, and that's saying a lot.

What I dont understand is that everyone knows we have average kicks, lack leg speed, but we seem to refuse to use
handball to clear congestion, create seperation, space.
With the new ten metre rule after a mark is taken, wouldnt teammates running past for the handball create everything
we are looking for with the short kicking game?
Sure we dont have electrifying pace on all lines, but I thought we could run all day. The lack of run, backing up your
teammate, and having the options to kick or handball were lacking.

Just for some perspective (and for fun!) here are some comments from the WC board after their Rd1 Loss to the Dogs last year:
"Interesting comments.. One thing is I don't agree that dogs look a top 6 side. We are just well off being a top 8 side and will be for a few seasons probably. The reality is that there are teams that finished lower than us last year that will likely beat is this year."
"This season will have some unexpected wins but unexpected losses. I don't think we're much of a finals contention"
"Not worth it. I'm sick of us being excellent at both ends but poor in the midfield, and therefore not being a decent side. Let's pool everything we have into improving our tired, slow, inept midfield."
"I cooled off and then read "Yoe was good tonight", now I have to go through the cooling off process again. Dropped marks, s**t kicks, s**t kicks, dropped marks. Kids in for a tough year"
"Neither side will go far this year, both teams around the 12th mark"
"We were spanked tonight. Don't let a lopsided goalscoring accuracy fool you. It's going to be a long season"
"I'm sorry but I'm over this joke of an organisation. Laughable."
"Unfortunately, I also think its going to be a long, frustrating year for us."
"Im pretty sure that we're going to be on the wrong side of a fair few shellackings this year and the bottom 4 is looking like a distinct possibility"
......The point is, it was the first game. No need to completely panic just yet. Its a long season :)

Have a look at their board after we flogged them in round three.:D And don't forget the Kangas board after they got walloped in the first game. :)
The sky is falling is endemic in all boards after a loss. Also trying to separate the chaff from the wheat. IE The trolls from the panic merchants and the genuine posters doesn't make reading some of the rubbish any easier.

Have a look at their board after we flogged them in round three.:D And don't forget the Kangas board after they got walloped in the first game. :)
The sky is falling is endemic in all boards after a loss. Also trying to separate the chaff from the wheat. IE The trolls from the panic merchants and the genuine posters doesn't make reading some of the rubbish any easier.
Let's admit we are all chaff , there is no wheat to separate after a loss. Weller vs mayne/d.Pearce .

What off field issues though? Can't be in-fighting surely, as surely the training watchers would have had a whiff of it this summer. Even when we played NAB, the guys going at 70% seemed still motivated enough to push for a win.

I'd rather believe we deliberately tanked the game to expose our structures, and that's saying a lot.

Don't think so.
Scroll up a few pages. Some training watchers noticed we are too relaxed in the last 2 training prior to going into the game.

I think we were just over confident and didn't turn up to play.

Don't think so.
Scroll up a few pages. Some training watchers noticed we are too relaxed in the last 2 training prior to going into the game.

I think we were just over confident and didn't turn up to play.

Yeh the players have been in great spirit. Lots of laughing, back patting etc. Complacency would the culprit you would think. If that was the problem it can be fixed easily.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back