Bulldogs feud - what is it about?

Remove this Banner Ad

MaddAdam

Cancelled
10k Posts Bay 13: Vintage Bay Podcaster North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2009 Player Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
In the not so distant future
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Reports again this week that an ongoing feud between Susan Alberti and Peter Gordon flared up with Alberti being denied entry - for the second time - to a Bulldogs match, this time an AFLW game.

Alberti and Smorgon have given the club millions and millions of dollars over the years, and it would be fair to say the Dogs wouldn't be around today but for their generosity.

Both are major figures in the footy world too, Alberti being one of the most influential female figures in the game. She's been a major backer of AFLW, but was also a major player in men's AFL and the footy world generally before the dawn of AFLW.

So what is driving this dispute that is playing out in the media now?

It has got to the point where federal politicians like Michael Sukkar are buying in, and club greats like Adam Cooner having their say on Twitter.

What is the genesis of the blue?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...k=6a8a82481d9ccc3d283c823f49124bb4-1519609401

(MODS note - I have posted this here as it pertains to the wider footy club that is the Western Bulldogs, NOT just the AFLW arm or recent game)

Last edited:

They do have a history.
58563ce70f5d7ca83db861f9bbbab8b6.gif

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Reports again this week that an ongoing feud between Susan Alberti and David Smorgon flared up with Alberti being denied entry - for the second time - to a Bulldogs match, this time an AFLW game.

Alberti and Smorgon have given the club millions and millions of dollars over the years, and it would be fair to say the Dogs wouldn't be around today but for their generosity.

Both are major figures in the footy world too, Alberti being one of the most influential female figures in the game. She's been a major backer of AFLW, but was also a major player in men's AFL and the footy world generally before the dawn of AFLW.

So what is driving this dispute that is playing out in the media now?

It has got to the point where federal politicians like Michael Sukkar are buying in, and club greats like Adam Cooner having their say on Twitter.

What is the genesis of the blue?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...k=6a8a82481d9ccc3d283c823f49124bb4-1519609401

(MODS note - I have posted this here as it pertains to the wider footy club that is the Western Bulldogs, NOT just the AFLW arm or recent game)
Can’t open the link.

“Massive Egos” in conflict nothing new about the concept.

One of history perennial and repeat root sources of conflict.

It transcends religion, race, gender, ethnic background.

Top Dog syndrome ( pun intended) on display.

Happens at some point in time at all Football Clubs.

Eventually the egos get soothed and the players usually kiss and make up.

Occasionally it ends in tears.

Dogies will sort it out , shame it’s been given a public profile as it’s an in house issue that needs resolving.

Seems like a clash of egos that’s been simmering for a while; hence the open sniping now on display over such a minor matter. Perhaps both felt the other has been taking too much credit for the recent success of the Bulldogs that should’ve gone to themselves or others.

Petty argument about what though?

People, formerly in positions to allow them entrance into the club through the staff entrances - can no longer use these since finishing up in these positions.

Unrest has ensued...

Which you know well SLF/DOP...

David Smorgon isn't involved - it's Peter Gordon.

Alberti has done wonders for the club, but going to the media because a security guard made her go through the same entrance as the rest of us did is egotistical and pathetic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ego and stubborn individualism. Firstly, ego is almost always a liability and not an asset. Secondly, the "stubborn individualism" we like to highlight in certain maverick personalities and eccentric millionaires is usually closer to malignant sociopathy and selfishness than it is the principled creativity.
There is a naive belief that ego is essential to success. It's as ingrained in our cultural myth-making as the image of the starving artist or the strung-out but brilliant musician, the world renowned surgeon or celebrity lawyer, Hollywood super-agents, owners and presidents of sporting teams and maybe we like these myths because they make for good movies or good excuses for our own lack of success. The Big Swinging Dick mentality might seem glamorous and special, but in reality, it's about as helpful as a big swinging dick. Success will do that to you. In many ways, everyone who is different from us is a bewildering, inexplicable enigma. They arbitrarily hate the things we like and like the things we hate, and behave in ways we can't predict. Running football clubs is no different.

Hardly working class club. The people at the club are still snobs at the end of thr day.

The club is working class. The people who run it think they own it and they are better than everyone else. Seems like the money poured in wasnt so much a donation as a quid-pro-quo.

Not an uncommon thing.

Ego and stubborn individualism. Firstly, ego is almost always a liability and not an asset. Secondly, the "stubborn individualism" we like to highlight in certain maverick personalities and eccentric millionaires is usually closer to malignant sociopathy and selfishness than it is the principled creativity.
There is a naive belief that ego is essential to success. It's as ingrained in our cultural myth-making as the image of the starving artist or the strung-out but brilliant musician, the world renowned surgeon or celebrity lawyer, Hollywood super-agents, owners and presidents of sporting teams and maybe we like these myths because they make for good movies or good excuses for our own lack of success. The Big Swinging Dick mentality might seem glamorous and special, but in reality, it's about as helpful as a big swinging dick. Success will do that to you. In many ways, everyone who is different from us is a bewildering, inexplicable enigma. They arbitrarily hate the things we like and like the things we hate, and behave in ways we can't predict. Running football clubs is no different.
I’ve got a big swinging dick and it’s really useful

I’ve got a big swinging dick and it’s really useful

I call bullshit. If you had a large swinging dick like you claim you would understand the pain a select few cope with, myself included.

My knees are stuffed now. As the impact of my dick slaming into my lower knee and shin have caused massive bone brusing.

The lay person ask all the time to just wear a groin harness to hold it in place. I have but now my lower back is rooted.

So please mate dont even in jest say you have a large swinging dick when clearly you dont. As you halt empathy to our cause.

When did she step down from the board position? She claims she has always entered through that gate so did she not go to games last year or something? There's a hole in this story but all we are getting is people papering over the crack.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back