Bulldogs in the AFL Hall Of Fame

Remove this Banner Ad

bobs head soup

Peanuts Peanuts
Sep 14, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Apologies if there is already a similar thread, but I couldn't find one.

Simple topic; who should we be nominating as potential inductees into the Hall Of Fame

By my count we currently have 1 legend, 16 players and 1 coach as Hall Of Famers (some moreso for feats at other clubs). They are:

Legend - Ted Whitten
Players - Jason Akermanis, Garry Dempsey, Chris Grant, Barry Hall, Brad Hardie, Doug Hawkins, Allan Hopkins, Brad Johnson, Arthur Olliver, Bernie Quinlan, Barry Round, John Schultz, Charlie Sutton, Terry Wallace, Norm Ware, Scott West.
Coach - Mick Malthouse
Administrator - None

If you were part of the clubs committee on proposed inductees, who should be our next HOF nominee, and which member do you propose to be upgraded to Legend?

I reckon strong candidates for HOF would include Con McCarthy, Herb Henderson, Jack Collins, Kelvin Templeton, Tony Liberatore and Nicky Winmar.

Think you've nailed a good list there. I'd maybe add Alby Morrison, but players on your list have him covered atm. McCarthy has the advantage of being a Pies premiership captain, then led us to VFA flags, then led us into the VFL. And taking the VFA perpsective, there are probably a few candidates from our 1898-1924 period who played in multiple flags, and across several leagues and states, e.g. De Coite, Harris, Marmo, Samson, Eason.

Samson in particular played for 20 seasons, including the first 2 VFL seasons, then was club secretary, and may have held other club office positions.

Apologies if there is already a similar thread, but I couldn't find one.

Simple topic; who should we be nominating as potential inductees into the Hall Of Fame

By my count we currently have 1 legend, 16 players and 1 coach as Hall Of Famers (some moreso for feats at other clubs). They are:

Legend - Ted Whitten
Players - Jason Akermanis, Garry Dempsey, Chris Grant, Barry Hall, Brad Hardie, Doug Hawkins, Allan Hopkins, Brad Johnson, Arthur Olliver, Bernie Quinlan, Barry Round, John Schultz, Charlie Sutton, Terry Wallace, Norm Ware, Scott West.
Coach - Mick Malthouse
Administrator - None

If you were part of the clubs committee on proposed inductees, who should be our next HOF nominee, and which member do you propose to be upgraded to Legend?

Footscray-Western Bulldogs Hall of Fame honours are quiet different on our web-site
Are these your picks?

Gary Dempsey would be a solid elevation to legend status with his Brownlow Medal, regular interstate appearances and his career total of Brownlow votes having been the record for many decades.
Maybe Simon Beasley could be a Hall of Fame member one day. He also had a successful career with Swan Districts and there aren't many players who have kicked 100 goals in a season in two major competitions.

No. These are the Dogs currently in the AFL Hall of Fame. Out of date now though as
we'll have to add Dennis Cometti .

Thanks
That explains: Jason Akermanis, Barry Hall, Barry Round and Terry Wallace

I would probably go for: Brian Royal, Scott Wynd, Jack Collins, Tony Liberatore

Or

George Bisset, Simon Beasley, Wally Donald, Herb Henderson, Harry Hickey, John Jillard, Alby Morrison, Joe Ryan, Rohan Smith, Don Ross, Peter Box, Kelvin Templeton, Steve Wallis :)

Edit: I believe Gary Dempsey is already in

Last edited:
I reckon strong candidates for HOF would include Con McCarthy, Herb Henderson, Jack Collins, Kelvin Templeton, Tony Liberatore and Nicky Winmar.

interviewed Herb Henderson for the paper in the lead up to the 2016 grand final. An absolute gentleman.

certainly had John Coleman’s measure head to head

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back