Bulldogs Josh Schache steal, Lion's blinked again.

Did the bulldogs pay unders for Schache?

• Yes

Votes: 218 75.7%
  • No

Votes: 70 24.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Well seeing you're apparently so keen for me to make comment, my views on the Schache trade are here.
Fair and Equal you didn't get a first round pick you wanted. Now you look silly and everyone is laughing at your expense in other threads. :p

I'm sorry you lost him and we bent you over, we just got home from another bad day with Dodoro and didn't mean to take it out on you. We still love you
I think you are missing the point. He was contracted and we didn't have to trade him. No other club showed any interest and then Footscray came along and offered massive overs for a bloke who wasn't up to even playing in our Reserves. Naturally Brisbane took the offer and offloaded a player who has demonstrated he is not up to it. He is going to be a 'whipping boy' at Footscray in record time. When Footscray supporters see who we draft with picks 25 and 40, they are going to be even more upset.

You didn't listen, pick 25 and 40 doesn't equate to pick 14. Pick 14 is pick 14. It isn't a second or third rounder.
You're right, 25 + 40 is slightly better. This is not the 1990's draft, points are important when dealing with academy, father son etc. Do you think they just pull these pick swaps out their ass?

2 years in Brisbanes system. They aren't the best at developing players.

One player...

You obviously haven't watched many of our games this year, or read/listened to the "experts" on the turnarounds of our players this year under Fagan. Fagan is our new coach in case you didn't know. He knows what he is doing.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.....it really doesn't pay to cast opinions on the inner workings of another club, particularly when that club has been struggling on and off the field. You should know what that is about though.....and that things can turn around very quickly.

Don't get too cocky in your euphoria of winning the flag....there is only one way to go from up there......and that is down, again.

Fair and Equal you didn't get a first round pick you wanted.

Brisbane did get a first round pick as an indirect result of the Schache trade. It wouldn't have happened except for Brisbane trading 25 for Schache. No, it didn't happen directly. Schache was traded to get a first round draft pick, becaue the Lions had traded another first round draft pick for Cameron.

Now you look silly

Only to those with an agenda. Brisbane got what they clearly wanted with the trading of Schache. They have an extra first round draft picks to add to their two, AND satisfied the Crows' first round demand for a contracted Charlie Cameron to fill a urgent need for short forwards / midfield depth in the right age bracket on top of that. It's a win for Brisbane / a win for the Crows and a win for Josh Schache, as he gets his wish to return to Victoria. Schache was traded when it was clearly in Brisbane's best interests to go into the first round of the draft with a strong hand and a speedy small forward who played in the recent Grand Final in the second best team of the season. Trading Schache was always Brisbane's call to be played anyway they wanted, as was my point.

They did, using it to secure Cameron and maintain a strong presence in the first round of the draft AND secure their 1-2 Academy players (which they will now do easily). Of course it's balanced by the loss of a former number two pick. However that's the nature of trading. A price is paid for what you bring in.

So given the above its seems reasonably equal to me.

everyone is laughing at your expense in other threads. :p

I'm not particularly concerned if they are or they aren't. They can continue look at the trade in isolation if they like. Predicting what happens via the bigger picture is impossible before trades are actually completed as they're ofen linked which alters their value. I'm happy with any comments about Schache and Brisbane's intentions with him I made in that particular thread. If you get your jollies claiming I was wrong, good for you. My comments above will suffice in answer and my longer comments on the Schache trade and Brisbane can be found here on the Lions' board. Feel free to engage with those comments, but of course you won't. It'll just be more of your mindless drivel, commensurate to "Nah, nah, nah, you didn't get a Top Ten pick like you wanted". And that's despite the fact I didn't say "I wanted" or "Brisbane wanted" a Top Ten pick for Schache.

Last edited:
One player...

You obviously haven't watched many of our games this year, or read/listened to the "experts" on the turnarounds of our players this year under Fagan. Fagan is our new coach in case you didn't know. He knows what he is doing.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.....it really doesn't pay to cast opinions on the inner workings of another club, particularly when that club has been struggling on and off the field. You should know what that is about though.....and that things can turn around very quickly.

Don't get too cocky in your euphoria of winning the flag....there is only one way to go from up there......and that is down, again.
Along with every other player.
I dont remember a single young player that has actually become a star while at Brisbane.
I mean you got unlucky with some great players leaving (Yeo, Docherty etc), but who knows if they would be as good if they were still at Brisbane.

Nothing to with the innner workings. Nothing to do with winning a flag. Just looking at the output of your players.
Since 2010 you have finished 13th (in a 16 team comp), 15th (in a 17 team comp), 13th, 12th, 15th, 17th, 17th and 18th.

Along with every other player.
I dont remember a single young player that has actually become a star while at Brisbane.
I mean you got unlucky with some great players leaving (Yeo, Docherty etc), but who knows if they would be as good if they were still at Brisbane.

Nothing to with the innner workings. Nothing to do with winning a flag. Just looking at the output of your players.
Since 2010 you have finished 13th (in a 16 team comp), 15th (in a 17 team comp), 13th, 12th, 15th, 17th, 17th and 18th.

2010.... good god man, that was nearly 8 years ago,

I did mention the last year. Not time enough to have stars...oh yes, you may have missed a player named Zorko...2017 AA

..then there is a young fella called Hipworth, most of the footy world have probably heard of him....a star in the making according to those experts I mentioned.

...we also had 3 Rising Star nominees this year as well....Hipwood, McClugage and Witherden. In 2014 (only 3 years ago) we had and still have the Rising Star winner.

...we have some others coming through too, but I'll let you find out about them yourself so that you can comment on my club accurately ..

Last edited:

I did mention the last year. Not time enough to have stars...oh yes, you may have missed a player named Zorko...2017 AA

..then there is a young fella called Hipworth, most of the footy world have probably heard of him....a star in the making according to those experts I mentioned.

...we also had 3 Rising Star nominees this year as well....Hipwood, McClugage and Witherden. In 2014 (only 3 years ago) we had and still have the Rising Star winner.

...we have some others coming through too, but I'll let you find out about them yourself so that you can comment on my club accurately ..
Thats the point. 8 years of high draft picks with no stars.

Zorko was drafted by Gold Coast with their zone selections. He was also mature age, not a young draftee. Bit of a reach, but thats all you've got I guess.

Yes a star IN THE MAKING. He looks good but hes not a star yet, so clearly doesnt count.

More young players that have looked good at times but not stars.

More players COMING THROUGH. This is my entire point. You draft high talent picks that look good, but never develop into anything more at Brisbane.
Good to see you missed the point.

Brisbane did get a first round pick as an indirect result of the Schache trade. It wouldn't have happened except for Brisbane trading 25 for Schache. No, it didn't happen directly. Schache was traded to get a first round draft pick, becaue the Lions had traded another first round draft pick for Cameron.

Only to those with an agenda. Brisbane got what they clearly wanted with the trading of Schache. They have an extra first round draft picks to add to their two, AND satisfied the Crows' first round demand for a contracted Charlie Cameron to fill a urgent need for short forwards / midfield depth in the right age bracket on top of that. It's a win for Brisbane / a win for the Crows and a win for Josh Schache, as he gets his wish to return to Victoria. Schache was traded when it was clearly in Brisbane's best interests to go into the first round of the draft with a strong hand and a speedy small forward who played in the recent Grand Final in the second best team of the season. Trading Schache was always Brisbane's call to be played anyway they wanted, as was my point.

They did, using it to secure Cameron and maintain a strong presence in the first round of the draft AND secure their 1-2 Academy players (which they will now do easily). Of course it's balanced by the loss of a former number two pick. However that's the nature of trading. A price is paid for what you bring in.

I'm not particularly concerned if they are or they aren't. They can continue look at the trade in isolation if they like. Predicting what happens via the bigger picture is impossible before trades are actually completed as they're ofen linked which alters their value. I'm happy with any comments about Schache and Brisbane's intentions with him I made in that particular thread. If you get your jollies claiming I was wrong, good for you. My comments above will suffice in answer and my longer comments on the Schache trade and Brisbane can be found here on the Lions' board. Feel free to engage with those comments, but of course you won't. It'll just be more of your mindless drivel, commensurate to "Nah, nah, nah, you didn't get a Top Ten pick like you wanted". And that's despite the fact I didn't say "I wanted" or "Brisbane wanted" a Top Ten pick for Schache.
Lol Nice meaningless novel when you said in other threads you wanted a top 15 pick. You didn't get a first round pick end of story.... You look silly trying hard to be technical putting your own spin of rubbish. 25 plus 40 is not a first round pick Lol ....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol Nice meaningless novel when you said in other threads you wanted a top 15 pick. .

Did I? Where? I certainly said if a Top Ten pick was offered for Schache, Briabane would very likely take it. You think they wouldn't have?

You didn't get a first round pick end of story....

Schache's trading helped secure another first round pick. As described. Is that incorrect?

You look silly trying hard to be technical putting your own spin of rubbish. 25 plus 40 is not a first round pick Lol ....

20 + 25 (from Schache's trading) was. If Schache wasn't traded, Brisbane could not have on-traded for another first round pick. Schache's trading helped secure a first round pick. I thought that was made clear.

Hipworth?

Merge the two Queensland teams and be done with this repeated injustice.

Anyone who thinks this problem will resolve itself with better governance is delusional, opposition teams are feasting on their carcass year after year.

Dodongo would rather see Gold Coast fold or relocated to Tasmania and Brisbane relocated to Fitzroy. Dodongo thinks everyone wants to play in Victoria now, so Melbourne can field another team. It's as strong as ever. Dodongo thinks if Fitzroy was still in the competition, they would be going stronger than ever. Dodongo knows things have changed big time since the 90's. Dodongo thinks unless the AFL change the draft age to 20 or 21, then football in QLD is going to die.

Footscray got absolutely conned here. Picks 25 and 40 for a player who was out of Brisbane's Senior team and too 'cooked' to even play Reserves grade football in the NEAFL! There is absolutely no way Schache is worth two players and when we see who Brisbane picks up with Picks 25 and 40 it will be even more apparent that Footscray were dudded. I hope Schache gives Footscray the same standard of service he gave Brisbane.
Classy... nice

I feel for Brisbane and for Josh. All the talk before he went up there was that he was really keen for it.

He's lost value for a whole host of reasons, a big one probably that he doesn't suit the tackling, pressure based game as it is now, but the game changes and in 5 years a big lump who can kick for goal might be super valuable again.

It's a shame that the contract stuff seemed to really upset him. He played well in his first year and trailed off badly this year.

The simple answer is 3 year deals for draftees.

Their might need to be a more complex solution for players as well. Did Schache even need to go to Brisbane last year? Maybe he could had a year doing some part time Uni in Melbourne and playing VAFA Ammos and training. Learnt about living out of home whilst still in Melbourne close to friends and family. Headed up in holidays and through the year to play some NEAFL and learn about Brisbane. Then when it gets to preseason a year after he's drafted he heads up there with a heap more life experience. Dangerfield and Hannebery stayed in Victoria for school and went interstate a year after they were drafted and thrived.

Did I? Where? I certainly said if a Top Ten pick was offered for Schache, Briabane would very likely take it. You think they wouldn't have?

Schache's trading helped secure another first round pick. As described. Is that incorrect?

20 + 25 (from Schache's trading) was. If Schache wasn't traded, Brisbane could not have on-traded for another first round pick. Schache's trading helped secure a first round pick. I thought that was made clear.
Stop with your deflection spin, the trade is for Schache only and not on trading picks for a first rounder in a separate deal not involving schache. The deal was pick 25 and 40 and that's it end of story. You are acting like a child and didn't get a first round pick in the Schache trade....

st: 53146095, member: 372"]Brisbane did get a first round pick as an indirect result of the Schache trade. It wouldn't have happened except for Brisbane trading 25 for Schache. No, it didn't happen directly. Schache was traded to get a first round draft pick, becaue the Lions had traded another first round draft pick for Cameron.

I'm not particularly concerned if they are or they aren't. They can continue look at the trade in isolation if they like. Predicting what happens via the bigger picture is impossible before trades are actually completed as they're ofen linked which alters their value. I'm happy with any comments about Schache and Brisbane's intentions with him I made in that particular thread. If you get your jollies claiming I was wrong, good for you. My comments above will suffice in answer and my longer comments on the Schache trade and Brisbane can be found here on the Lions' board. Feel free to engage with those comments, but of course you won't. It'll just be more of your mindless drivel, commensurate to "Nah, nah, nah, you didn't get a Top Ten pick like you wanted". And that's despite the fact I didn't say "I wanted" or "Brisbane wanted" a Top Ten pick for Schache.[/QUOTE]
TheKITC Two Eyes Rance2Mewtwo :rolleyes:

I think you are missing the point. He was contracted and we didn't have to trade him. No other club showed any interest and then Footscray came along and offered massive overs for a bloke who wasn't up to even playing in our Reserves. Naturally Brisbane took the offer and offloaded a player who has demonstrated he is not up to it. He is going to be a 'whipping boy' at Footscray in record time. When Footscray supporters see who we draft with picks 25 and 40, they are going to be even more upset.
Not really. We will only take 2 live picks to the draft and they are 9 and 16. Our third pick will likely be our rookie upgrade so doesn’t matter if it’s pick 25, 40 or pick 80 odd. Whether we got him for too little or too much, I don’t care. He was worth a punt with otherwise unused draft picks

Brisbane aren't morons. They wouldn't have taken the loss unless they were genuinely concerned for Schache's well-being. It seems clear to me that they have put a young man's health above scoring a draft pick 5-10 places higher.

I'm not really sure why they're being bagged for this.

I absolutely believe that we let Carlton have Lang for unders, because they let us get Tuohy for unders last year.

Clubs that just work to get the deal done, and don't obsess with 'winning' every trade every time (like Geelong) tend to find that it evens out. You're willing to help out another club, next time they're willing to help you.

I'm sure this trade will be filed in the memory bank, in case Brisbane need the Doggies' help sometime in the future.

Yep we paid overs for melksham and the bombers gave us Hibberd for unders the next season.

Back