Toast Bulldogs Jumper Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Not having watched the podcast, I limit my enthusiastic agreement with all you've posted to "But he also posted..." on. You being an old leftie, how's your mix of emotions about Goanna's drummer ?

I never knew that film clip. My favourite music in the world is Australian and the eighties were as good, if not better than any decade for Aussie music. I have no love for Essendon really at all but the jumper is still a great thing. Ours has popped in culture clips over the years too. They at Essendon have a little bit more respect for their jumper than we do at the Bulldogs. That respect often turns to arrogance when they refuse to wear clash guernseys for bad match ups. Even when they wear white shorts against Collingwood when they’re the away team and it becomes a mess. Just wear red shorts and keep your precious sash in that regard.

I never knew that film clip. My favourite music in the world is Australian and the eighties were as good, if not better than any decade for Aussie music. I have no love for Essendon really at all but the jumper is still a great thing. Ours has popped in culture clips over the years too. They at Essendon have a little bit more respect for their jumper than we do at the Bulldogs. That respect often turns to arrogance when they refuse to wear clash guernseys for bad match ups. Even when they wear white shorts against Collingwood when they’re the away team and it becomes a mess. Just wear red shorts and keep your precious sash in that regard.
I hope you enjoyed the clip, Freshie (if I may be so bold). Whatever Essendon Supporters really stand for, admirable is the sanctity of their tribe's banner, our Boards have not only prostituted our banner but shown far less self-pride.

Last edited:
Not having watched the podcast, I limit my enthusiastic agreement with all you've posted to "But he also posted..." on. You being an old leftie, how's your mix of emotions about Goanna's drummer ?
T

Got nothing on the drummer from Amyl & the Sniffers, he wears his full Dog’s kit including long sleeve jumper 😁

Got nothing on the drummer from Amyl & the Sniffers, he wears his full Dog’s kit including long sleeve jumper 😁

[iAmy and the sniffers [/i] ? Is this fair dinkum ? try
Crikey, D13, whatever, Sam's intent on introducing speed over the off season. That said, loved Goanna, needed a new drummer.

I’d rather the ‘men from the land of boulders’ or ‘saltwater lads’ over the ‘imps’. The ‘imps’ or Imperials is a nickname that a few country clubs have actually held onto.

I quite like the Tricolours but there are quite a few teams in the league now with that characteristic.

was also the original name used by Easts in the NRL and who also had a guernsey based on the French national team.

An official Club Statement in 1954 announced that the team would be moving on from the striped Tricolours jersey to a brand-new design, modelled on the same one that the French national team wore at the time:

later to become the Roosters with the obvious French connection.

was also the original name used by Easts in the NRL and who also had a guernsey based on the French national team.

An official Club Statement in 1954 announced that the team would be moving on from the striped Tricolours jersey to a brand-new design, modelled on the same one that the French national team wore at the time:

later to become the Roosters with the obvious French connection.
le coq sportif. All of a sudden," roosters" makes sense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This thread was originally 'Bulldogs Who Played in Long Sleeves' but on the excellent suggestion of Freshwater have changed the title and hope to have people contribute any thoughts on our jumpers past or present.

IMG_0886.jpeg
Definitely add all those beautiful long sleeve images in here. But we have such a great footy jumper at this club that has had many interesting variations over the years.
When this image of Matty Boyd and Lukey D came out in, I think late 2011, it was an amazing moment for me, and many others who had been a part of the movement to get the hoops back. To have our beautiful traditional look back. But I do also love most of the variations we’ve had over the years too.

View attachment 1897504
Definitely add all those beautiful long sleeve images in here. But we have such a great footy jumper at this club that has had many interesting variations over the years.
When this image of Matty Boyd and Lukey D came out in, I think late 2011, it was an amazing moment for me, and many others who had been a part of the movement to get the hoops back. To have our beautiful traditional look back. But I do also love most of the variations we’ve had over the years too.
That's their perfect guernsey, their 2016 premiership guernsey design. The blue collars and cuffs are far superior. I use to think they had the worst uniform during the 2000's, until they switched to that uniform. Their 2012-2016 uniform was one of the best in the comp.

Last edited:
That's their perfect guernsey, their 2016 premiership guernsey design. The blue collars and cuffs are far superior. I use to think they had the worst uniform during the 2000's, until they switched to that uniform. Their 2012-2016 uniform was one of the best in the comp.
I actually like the slightly lighter, true royal blue that Asics have brought on board. Same true royal blue thing happened with your eagles too, and looks great.
But since the early return to hoops they have lowered those hoops to accommodate the numbers on the back, which is a bit silly especially since we now have sponsors below collar above numbers. As for all the different coloured cuffs and collars, every few years they will change those to sell more merchandise. We currently have a ‘toilet seat’ as a collar🤣
So glad the flag was won in the hoops, and the 2021 grand final was in a fine jumper too.

To my knowledge this has been our only ever Anzac themed jumper. Wore it in 2016. I'm not sure why we did it once but never again. Perhaps because it was our home game?
Screen Shot 2024-04-25 at 11.16.16 am.png

That's great Freshwater. The Anzac jumper would need to be the second last one with the red,white and blue colours.

To my knowledge this has been our only ever Anzac themed jumper. Wore it in 2016. I'm not sure why we did it once but never again. Perhaps because it was our home game?
View attachment 1970201

Apparently the only Australians who went to war were associated with Essendon or Collingwood.

On a serious note, the Anzac weekend game at Eureka Ballarat in 2022 featuring Long Tan/Vietnam veteran Bill Arkell speaking pre-match gave me chills, because I've read so much about that war and battle in particular. One of the more emotional experiences I've ever had at the footy, sadly I doubt many there knew who he was (not having a go at anyone, just feel he and his comrades should be more broadly recognised than they are).

I'm also someone who gets p1ssed off at the analogy drawn between footballers and those who served in the military every Anzac Day. I blame Sheedy for years of drawing parallels - yes, he served in the nashos, but he never set foot in a military zone, and footballers are as far removed from those their age who served, and died, under fire.

Sorry Scott Tracy , not anything to do with you, my reply just rambled off into a rant...

Apparently the only Australians who went to war were associated with Essendon or Collingwood.

On a serious note, the Anzac weekend game at Eureka Ballarat in 2022 featuring Long Tan/Vietnam veteran Bill Arkell speaking pre-match gave me chills, because I've read so much about that war and battle in particular. One of the more emotional experiences I've ever had at the footy, sadly I doubt many there knew who he was (not having a go at anyone, just feel he and his comrades should be more broadly recognised than they are).

I'm also someone who gets p1ssed off at the analogy drawn between footballers and those who served in the military every Anzac Day. I blame Sheedy for years of drawing parallels - yes, he served in the nashos, but he never set foot in a military zone, and footballers are as far removed from those their age who served, and died, under fire.

Sorry Scott Tracy , not anything to do with you, my reply just rambled off into a rant...
I was there that day and had no idea, you couldn’t see that well from the outer hill, but appreciated the fact we acknowledged the ANZAC’s across the weekend. Some footy ‘journos’ commented that they were sick of ceremonies all weekend, their ignorance was quickly pointed out that normal folk go to only one game across a round, their own team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back