Review Bulldogs Lose To GWS (113 - 55)

Remove this Banner Ad

Stupid coaching by Beveridge, lost at the selection table.

Dicko's been amazing for us in finals in the past - doesn't play.
Trengove is a strong, battle-hardened utility that played a great game in the ruck vs GWS 3 weeks ago - doesn't play. Instead we opt to keep Schache playing second ruck, who is historically terrible in the role, especially against strong, physical ruckmen like Mumford.

It's easy to pick on guys like Hayes, Richards, Smith, etc, but they're inexperienced players who haven't played a final before. It's incumbent on the coach to surround them with proper experience and leadership to help them adapt, which he didn't.

The one player I would single out is Johannisen. He was putrid, and he's meant to be one of our leaders.
There is a list of putrid but Hunter way ahead of JJ

Annoying to see people blaming players like Hayes or Schache when our big three mids were all completely ineffectual. The roles players can’t be expected to drag us over the line when we’re getting smashed in the one area of the game we’re expected to dominate.

Hayes, Schache, Red, Lloyd, Dale, Duryea were all poor but the blame rests at the feet of Macrae, Dunks, Hunter, JJ and Bont. If they take the credit when we’re on fire it’s only fair they take the responsibility of a poor game like that.

Hope Naughts is alright. We’ll be back next season with a more experienced side and some weaknesses filled. Hard to be positive after that but I still think we’re in great shape in the long run.
That’s fair. It reminded me a bit of the St Kilda debacle. Mids just couldn’t get going.

Still, Bont, Macrae and Dunkley are all young and should improve so plenty to look forward to.

I think most thought it was fairly obvious before the game,but In hindsight not playing Trengove was probably the worst MC decision made in Bevs time at the club.

Closely followed by Hayes inclusion but neither would have changed the result

Thank god I didn’t go up there and watch that sh!t

Last edited:
We lost whatever I’ll deal with it

But Why show so much promise towards the end of the season and then go out like that?

The mind boggles...
Truth is we maulled some very average or underdone (injured) teams this past month. Will be better for the finals footy lesson we got today. Big few years coming up.

Bubble of excellence, what happens when it goes pop ? an inside fifty obliteration. Nice move with the
no Ruck move got us back in it, but only a short term fix.

Finals always reveal things about the club and the players.
Well done to our fans who went to the game.
Learning the hard way for West, Lipinski, Naughton, Scache, Smith, Richards and Dale. I'd expect them to be much better next year because of this finals defeat.
Crozier, Duryea and Young have many good games together to look forward to.
It was the wrong time for Macrae, Hunter and Dunkley to all have shockers.
Hayes has no future, and McLean now has to be questioned.
But, English came of age today after toweling up Mumford. He is going to be an exceptional player.

I don’t usually pick on coaching selection but what was the point of Hayes playing? He’s a gut running wingman. I was at the game and the entire time he lined up in the forward line and often in the goalsquare. Literally Dickson’s role.
Not sure the coaches had many options.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Learnt a lot about Cordy today and why the coaches love him. Felt like him and Wood, usually the two that come under scrutiny performed the best in the back-line. We got obliterated in the inside 50s and still was in the game at half time mostly due to good defensive efforts. It's hard to match the physicality from the Giants with our very young team, we need to get older quickly if we want to stand up in these types of games.

We were really young today let alone super young in our spine. Young, naughton and english then throw in the young ones around them.

Todays game is a perfect example of why we desperately need smalls in our forward line that can win the ground ball and attack the feet of marking contests. It was tailor made for a small forward today. Lets invest in jack martin and sam gray. Bruce, keith and isaac smith would be handy too.

The blame lies at Bonts feet!!

What game did you watch? He battled all day with three blokes hanging off him. They targeted him specifically and he just kept trying.

He had 13 touches. Credit to him for battling away and yes he was tagged by probably the best tagger in the comp, but ultimately his inability to overcome it was part of the reason our midfield got smashed. He wouldn't make excuses for it and I don't think we should either.

Finals always reveal things about the club and the players.
Well done to our fans who went to the game.
Learning the hard way for West, Lipinski, Naughton, Scache, Smith, Richards and Dale. I'd expect them to be much better next year because of this finals defeat.
Crozier, Duryea and Young have many good games together to look forward to.
It was the wrong time for Macrae, Hunter and Dunkley to all have shockers.
Hayes has no future, and McLean now has to be questioned.
But, English came of age today after toweling up Mumford. He is going to be an exceptional player.
Harsh on Macrae our best mid I thought

He had 13 touches. Credit to him for battling away and yes he was tagged by probably the best tagger in the comp, but ultimately his inability to overcome it was part of the reason our midfield got smashed. He wouldn't make excuses for it and I don't think we should either.

13 touches with a min 2 man tag at nearly every stoppage

Perhaps you missed the part where they moved him to the ruck to break that tag and try to release him.

Not a player in the league that would have countered that tag with no help at all. NO ONE

Got to give the opposition credit. They played near the line, sometimes over it and the young dogs couldn’t handle it. I don’t think we need to name individuals, but some of ours didn’t handle the finals heat today. However I don’t think JJ was one of them. Thought he really put his head over it in a tough first half.

Big learning experience for the majority which will pay dividends in future years.

Good year all in all. Fingers and toes crossed for the Astro-naught.
Totally Agree
Funny how Bevo gets good footballers and keeps them as good people....Leon however is a grub of coach. The behaviour of GWS players os pathetic. Been a dog supporter all my life and wont change , Used to dissapointment and can accept losses (have had to over 50 years,) But the antics of Greene , Jeremy Cameron and Fanlayson and co goes well beyond hard football.
All these have had 6 years of Camerons control and have declined as humans.
Rant Over.

We were really young today let alone super young in our spine. Young, naughton and english then throw in the young ones around them.

Todays game is a perfect example of why we desperately need smalls in our forward line that can win the ground ball and attack the feet of marking contests. It was tailor made for a small forward today. Lets invest in jack martin and sam gray. Bruce, keith and isaac smith would be handy too.
Need to get it in the forward line first

JJ- how did people rate his game?

I saw him get burnt a few times when he had a paddock free. He did not trust his foot when he should have a number of times.

Richards needs to settle on a flank next year.

I continue to live in hope. I'm used to it.

Disappointing end to the season, not the result in itself, but how we went about it. But thanks to the Doggies for making this winter one that breathed life into not only the club and its supporters, but also myself personally. I don't know what I would have done this winter without the footy. Thanks also to everyone for putting up with my nonsense. Now I must order that Somali Lucky Meal for tonight and turn it into a Bad Luck Meal for Richmond.
Hey Chicago, look oh the bright side. Now you can eat what you like where you like without it affecting the result! Although I do think you should get back to pre season training early and experiment with next year's menu - perhaps when practise matches start.

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back