Review Bulldogs Lose To GWS (113 - 55)

Remove this Banner Ad

GWS played a great game. Unfortunately we had too many guys go missing big time. Good experience for the young guys. On to next year.

Can’t argue with that, they deserved the win and we had some key players just not in it

Finals sorts out the men from the boys. Go hard or go home. If you’re not involved , find the ball and get a feel for the leather. Too many waited for an opportunity that didn’t come.

Given a lesson in finals footy today. Our young boys will learn a hell of a lot.

For as much credit as our midfield gets they deserve some criticism today. Could not get the ball going forward for us and were monstered by Hopper and Taranto.

The opposition were good today but I cant see them going much further. They played their GF today.

Shout out to our skipper. Thought he was magnificent today and deserves the position for at least another year.

Let’s keep our heads up.

Today was very disappointing but the side has come a long way.

We are young, the players will hurt from it and be better for it.

We Dogs supporters are very resilient so let’s all keep it together.

Fingers crossed for Naughton having a non ACL.

We’ll be back next year.

Go dogs.

Biggest surprise to me was that our midfield was what let us down.
Our backline looked good with cordy doing well on Cameron apart from a few skill errors that plague all defenders. Wood had his best game in years. Crozier and duryea were down on what we have come to expect.
Dunkley bont hunter and macrea were too weak in the middle b.smith tried his guts out as usual.
Dale, lip and bont all missed ones they should've kicked. But apart from that you can't blame forwards when the balls not going in there. Schache has once again lifted with a few good second efforts and going in to back up team mates when the likes of Shaw and Haynes were being floyd
Naughton presenting all night and tackling strongly was my highlight. Loved him getting into the face of Shaw and giving a player he tackled an earful, shows the player he is going to become. Apart from the score the biggest loss for me was naughton's injury. Hopefully while doing his recovery he can focus on his goal kicking technique and general forward craft.
Can't wait to hit the trade period hard although I think the biggest improvement will come from our midfield who will have learnt a great deal from today.

Midfield got destroyed and bullied. Really disappointing from them, but we are clearly missing a few cogs in the side to help carry the load when the big 3 aren't dominating.

We played too many players with soft underbellys. McLean had a shocker. Richard's disappearing act for the 13th time this year. Hayes not up to it. Dale went missing because we lost the contested battle in the midfield. Backline held up ok until the dam broke. JJ was disappointing, but he's had a good year. 2020 needs to be even better.

Just belted up by a BigFooty team that had a point to prove.

Poor selection but that wouldn’t have changed much, they were far too good today in all aspects.

Nearly all the kids had stinkers and couldn’t handle the heat but it’s good learning for them so not all bad.

Bont can’t do it all by himself.

Oh yeah that’s footy let’s hope we do ok trade period

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was never confident today but then again I rarely am. Was hoping for a closer result and no injuries, hoping for the best with Astro. Today showed that Libba has a place in this team. He’s our campaigner. We missed him badly. We need more of them and a few other guys to get some more campaigner in them. Also missed Dickson and Trengove today.

Making finals this year was a great achievement. Credit to the guys and Bevo. Played the whole year whilst getting half a game out of Morris, Boyd and Picken combined plus a huge chunk of salary cap.

Hopefully we get active in trades. Get some experience in. Big off season. Whilst today hurts for a lot of reasons, there’s plenty of reasons to smile. Plenty of blue skies ahead everyone, we’re building nicely.

Annoying to see people blaming players like Hayes or Schache when our big three mids were all completely ineffectual. The roles players can’t be expected to drag us over the line when we’re getting smashed in the one area of the game we’re expected to dominate.

Hayes, Schache, Red, Lloyd, Dale, Duryea were all poor but the blame rests at the feet of Macrae, Dunks, Hunter, JJ and Bont. If they take the credit when we’re on fire it’s only fair they take the responsibility of a poor game like that.

Hope Naughts is alright. We’ll be back next season with a more experienced side and some weaknesses filled. Hard to be positive after that but I still think we’re in great shape in the long run.

Oh beveridge m8. You had a stinker.

Mods will have their work cut out for them tonight

Yep. GWS would have been too good anyway, but team selection gave them a leg up. To be fair, he was massively let down by many of his senior players. Hunter and JJ should be nowhere near a leadership group.

Great year overall, but that one leaves a bad taste in the mouth for many reasons.

We’re all Richmond or Brisbane fans next week....

Annoying to see people blaming players like Hayes or Schache when our big three mids were all completely ineffectual. The roles players can’t be expected to drag us over the line when we’re getting smashed in the one area of the game we’re expected to dominate.

Hayes, Schache, Red, Lloyd, Dale, Duryea were all poor but the blame rests at the feet of Macrae, Dunks, Hunter, JJ and Bont. If they take the credit when we’re on fire it’s only fair they take the responsibility of a poor game like that.

Hope Naughts is alright. We’ll be back next season with a more experienced side and some weaknesses filled. Hard to be positive after that but I still think we’re in great shape in the long run.

The blame lies at Bonts feet!!

What game did you watch? He battled all day with three blokes hanging off him. They targeted him specifically and he just kept trying.

A few youngsters just off the pace on finals.

They'll learn.

Of the experienced players, McLean was pretty bad today. Bont and Dunks not flash either.

Lot of undisciplined frees that cost us in crucial moments. Maybe it was that kind of game. Tend to think we lost our composure.

I continue to live in hope. I'm used to it.

Disappointing end to the season, not the result in itself, but how we went about it. But thanks to the Doggies for making this winter one that breathed life into not only the club and its supporters, but also myself personally. I don't know what I would have done this winter without the footy. Thanks also to everyone for putting up with my nonsense. Now I must order that Somali Lucky Meal for tonight and turn it into a Bad Luck Meal for Richmond.

Disappointing finish but you give the season a pass. Would much rather make finals and take it up to the home side for 2.5 quarters than watch on.

The real problem was that our midfield didn’t win. Inside fifties against were horrific.

Yes we could have picked Trengove and Dickson but I doubt it would have made much difference.

Dale, Schache, Smith, Hayes, Young and a few others had some less than ideal moments (though Young competed) but they’ll learn. Some were overawed.

Another preseason of muscle and another year playing together and we’ll do better.

Got to give the opposition credit. They played near the line, sometimes over it and the young dogs couldn’t handle it. I don’t think we need to name individuals, but some of ours didn’t handle the finals heat today. However I don’t think JJ was one of them. Thought he really put his head over it in a tough first half.

Big learning experience for the majority which will pay dividends in future years.

Good year all in all. Fingers and toes crossed for the Astro-naught.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back