Review Bulldogs Lose To GWS (113 - 55)

may feature more prominently in next season's plans

TBH both are near fringe player status, Jong more so, IMO

Wallis May still have some credits in the long run but Jong lost a ton of momentum after his shoulder problems. I wouldn’t be surprised if either of them moved on

Sep 27, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Did anyone else feel themselves wanting to jump over the fence and whack Jeremy Finlayson when he came over shushing the Bulldogs supporters around Aisle 249? Literally had to be held back, I thought the old bloke in front of me was going to kill him.

Take it easy on the bloke, he’s got a mouthful of Tic Tacs masquerading as teeth.

Haven’t seen a smile like that since Austin Powers.

SonOfScray

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2002
Bay 18 L3
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bruins, Ice, Aces
I find that I hate both norf and the giants much, much more than I hate Essendon (and I do indeed hate Essendon).

It’s a funny old world we live in.
It’s one of those ones where, even though I really hate EFC, and think they should’ve been thrown out, I enjoy hating them. So they can stay.

The other two are like s**t on your shoe.

Triple Baileys

Club Legend
Jan 7, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
We were beaten by the AFL's house team. They run at a massive loss, hardly anyone supports them, just about no-one watched that game in the western suburbs of Sydney.

Just watch out when they inevitably slip down the ladder. The house team will be given our picks and access to our players.

Dec 29, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Got bullied, just too young and lacking in experience.

Doubt much would have changed if we selected Trengove or Dickson.

To turn the season around like we did was impressive and a great accomplishment as it could have gone the other way and we finish bottom 4 but instead we made finals and gained some valuable experience for our younger players and some fire in the belly to go further next year.

We need our younger players to add size, we need to get some experience during the trade period especially in the key position posts.

Disappointing but on to bigger and better things next year with this team

Leon

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 13, 2004
Bound for Germany 2006!
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Harry's Heroes
Giants “fans” (LOL, isn’t that just the most adorable little term) are having a cry about the umpiring.

They’ve just won a final by 9 goals. And they’re complaining about the ****ing umpiring.

I guess when the AFL has spoon fed literally every facet of the pissant entity they support, they would feel entitled to demand more from them.

Giants “fans”. Bunch of nauseating, self entitled ****wits.

Christ I hate them.

Testekill

Don't look at me like that
Dec 3, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Bulldogs, Williamstown
Giants “fans” (LOL, isn’t that just the most adorable little term) are having a cry about the umpiring.

They’ve just won a final by 9 goals. And they’re complaining about the ****ing umpiring.

I guess when the AFL has spoon fed literally every facet of the pissant entity they support, they would feel entitled to demand more from them.

Christ I hate them.

And especially when the umpires let their players act like absolute thugs without any punishment.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Let’s hope the lesson we got yesterday is actually learnt by the club and not just put down to being young.

We got absolutely bitched due to our size and intensity so we need to address that. Imo that makes Caleb Daniel a must on the trade table now as we cannot get smaller we must get bigger.

You cannot play depth players in finals unless you have no other choice.

Some of the kids we have are still a long way off and if we want to contend we need mature bodies on this off season to let them develop in the VFL or at least with help around them.

Must develop a plan B.

But all in al a far better year than I guessed so lots of positives but if we don’t do much at the trade period I don’t see how we improve much on this year.

Spiritof82

Premiership Player
Jan 8, 2004
S**tny, the cesspit of OZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Stupid coaching by Beveridge, lost at the selection table.

Dicko's been amazing for us in finals in the past - doesn't play.
Trengove is a strong, battle-hardened utility that played a great game in the ruck vs GWS 3 weeks ago - doesn't play. Instead we opt to keep Schache playing second ruck, who is historically terrible in the role, especially against strong, physical ruckmen like Mumford.

It's easy to pick on guys like Hayes, Richards, Smith, etc, but they're inexperienced players who haven't played a final before. It's incumbent on the coach to surround them with proper experience and leadership to help them adapt, which he didn't.

The one player I would single out is Johannisen. He was putrid, and he's meant to be one of our leaders.

Agree on JJ, the club really needs to look at his role in the team as he's shown too many times this year that he's scared of his own shadow and will do everything to avoid body contact, he's happy to sit off the pack and receive the cheap loose balls or hand balls out and go for a run but then kick to no one in particular, most likely turning the ball over. He was one of the players really shown up yesterday when the pressure was on with his absence in the tough parts, preferring to be the teams downhill skier.

We were beaten by the AFL's house team. They run at a massive loss, hardly anyone supports them, just about no-one watched that game in the western suburbs of Sydney.

Just watch out when they inevitably slip down the ladder. The house team will be given our picks and access to our players.
They (followers - can't say they're supporters) even have to be encouraged to barrack. "MAKE SOME NOISE. MAKE SOME NOISE". If I hear that again (in the words of Terry Wallace) I'll spew up!!!!

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

Eye gouging deserves weeks automatically.

Im so close to just abandoning footy all together. I love you bulldogs, but we are in a contrived competition.
Hope that doesn't include 2016....????

Christ I hate them.
Who? All 2 of them?

We missed Liber who I still consider to be in our top 2 or 3 midfielders.

We were bullied yesterday and Liber would have sorted that out pretty quickly.

Those who say Liber may not be in our 22 may need to rethink.
Thought that myself

Agree on JJ, the club really needs to look at his role in the team as he's shown too many times this year that he's scared of his own shadow and will do everything to avoid body contact, he's happy to sit off the pack and receive the cheap loose balls or hand balls out and go for a run but then kick to no one in particular, most likely turning the ball over. He was one of the players really shown up yesterday when the pressure was on with his absence in the tough parts, preferring to be the teams downhill skier.
Yep. Didn't do enough yesterday.

theburst

Team Captain
Mar 28, 2008
vic
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other than the patch in the 2nd quarter we mostly didn't have time to breath, not able to play that electric style of recent games.

Their intensity was crazy good, nothing like the previous match when they didn't really need to win.

Somehow Bevo didn't get this team fired up ready to rip their hearts out. All week we heard how 'since the bye' this and that.

I reckon McLean is at the crossroads and Hayes can go back and stay in the VFL.

bobs head soup

Peanuts Peanuts
Sep 14, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Well that certainly was a sobering experience.

Have thought about the game quite a bit and still at a loss. It really was our most dependable mid group that were completely outgunned. Inexplicable, we can usually be competitive at least, and their mids were significantly undermanned.

To their credit, the plastics really played as though their lives were on the line. We simply couldn't match the desire or intensity. Hopefully lessons were learnt

There were a few bright lights. Under the circumstances, all of our tall defenders were very good. Particular credit to Cordy, who had been struggling for form and confidence but seriously lifted when it mattered. Wood has had a good month after looking list at times this season and Young was also good again.

English was manful in the Ruck and Naughton looked great pre injury (it was only after he went off that we seemed to seriously lose the plot)

On the negative side, Richards and Hayes were a mile off it and Suckling was disappointing.

Hunter and JJ inability to impose themselves was telling, although not really surprising. They do need to feed off the hard work the inside mids do. If we get beaten inside, they are going to be largely ineffectual.

Heaps to look forward to though. Naughton, English,Smith, West, Young, all have tremendous scope for improvement with another preseason under their belts and it looks like we should have some beneficial targets in trade week.

2020 can't get here soon enough.

Last edited:

TMoney22

Premiership Player
Sep 15, 2010
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Utah Jazz, San Jose Sharks
Also I have no issue with De Boer’s tactics yesterday. It’s his job to push the boundaries and see what he can get away with on a game by game basis. Better protection was needed by the umpires. He was able to drag away the Bont all day and stand on the opposite side of the ground.

We didn’t give the Bont the protection he needed from the other mids. Giants learnt a lot for a few weeks ago and were extremely well drilled and coached throughout the entire four quarters.

Agree why wouldn't we do the same thing to De Boer, the whole world knew they would come after Bont. I guess we don't have the players to do that but gotta try atleast make it harder for De Boer

From the piss poor AFL - Appears Suckers is now GWS

Toby Greene, GWS GIANTS, has been charged with Serious Misconduct against Marcus Bontempelli, Western Bulldogs, during the first quarter of the Elimination Final match between the GWS GIANTS and Western Bulldogs, played at GIANTS Stadium on Saturday September 7.

Based on the available evidence, the incident was referred directly to the Tribunal and Greene is not able to accept an early plea.

Harry Himmelberg, GWS GIANTS, has been charged with Striking Marcus Bontempelli, Western Bulldogs, during the first quarter of the Elimination Final match between the GWS GIANTS and Western Bulldogs, played at GIANTS Stadium on Saturday September 7.

In summary he can accept a $2000 sanction with an early plea.

Based on the available evidence, the incident was assessed as Intentional Conduct with Low Impact and Body Contact. The incident was classified as a $3000 sanction as a first offence. The player can accept a $2000 sanction with an early plea.

Zaine Cordy, Western Bulldogs, has been charged with Striking Matt de Boer, Western Bulldogs, during the first quarter of the Elimination Final match between the GWS GIANTS and Western Bulldogs, played at GIANTS Stadium on Saturday September 7.

Based on the available evidence, the incident was assessed as Intentional Conduct with Low Impact and Body Contact. The incident was classified as a $3000 sanction as a first offence. The player can accept a $2000 sanction with an early plea.

Matthew Suckling, GWS GIANTS, has been charged with Forceful Front-On Contact against Josh Kelly, GWS GIANTS, during the third quarter of the Elimination Final match between the GWS GIANTS and Western Bulldogs, played at GIANTS Stadium on Saturday September 7.

Based on the available evidence, the incident was assessed as Careless Conduct, Low Impact and High Contact. The incident was classified as a $3000 sanction as a first offence. The player can accept a $2000 sanction with an early plea.

Back