Review Bulldogs Lose To GWS (113 - 55)

Remove this Banner Ad

There was a lot of illegal physicality that the umps did nothing about. Haynes punched Bont that actually winded him, nothing to see here play on!! Ffs

Remember the soft frees against Sicily that helped us win in Rd3? That was a lot worse by Haynes and they got away with it

No it was actually both years - 96 and 97.
****Little history lesson alert****
In 1996 Grant finished second in the Brownlow by one vote when Hird tied with Voss to win it. In the last round the Dogs played the Bombers with Grant and Hird the best (From memory Grant kicked 4 and was arguably better than Hird). However Essendon won the game by a kick and on Brownlow night Hird got the 3 votes and Grant 2.
It is thought that the result of the game affected the voting with the BOG going to the player on the winning team thus costing Grant a share of the Brownlow in 1996 a year before he actually won it in 97 when Ian Collins, alone, went above everyone’s head to cite Grant and get him rubbed out.
So he was [arguably] robbed twice :mad:

Mr. Walker

Premiership Player
Apr 15, 2002
PO Box. 7 Powelltown
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Quite a few posters have said do not blame our forwards as they were victims of the midfield failing and not delivering sufficient ball or any quality ball. I respectfully disagree (see it can be done on this forum.
Watching the game on TV it seemed that all over the ground (which by definition includes the forwards) we were outnumbered at the contest, the Plastics had loose men everywhere and they were able to spot up players with ease and move the ball out of defence unchallenged. That is work rate pure and simple. It has nothing to do with The Bont not getting the ball or Dunkley being down on form. The forwards chose to not work hard enough, not to spread when we had the ball or not to man up when we didn’t. You choose not to do that you do not get a free pass from criticism. Admittedly it wasn’t just the forwards who were guilty but the effort was pathetic and it should be labelled as such. (If I had the skills I would post a photo of a child crying, put a bulldogs forwards jumper on him and a caption “The Bont wouldn’t kick the ball to me”. What are our forwards, six years old)

Quite a few posters have said do not blame our forwards as they were victims of the midfield failing and not delivering sufficient ball or any quality ball. I respectfully disagree (see it can be done on this forum.
Watching the game on TV it seemed that all over the ground (which by definition includes the forwards) we were outnumbered at the contest, the Plastics had loose men everywhere and they were able to spot up players with ease and move the ball out of defence unchallenged. That is work rate pure and simple. It has nothing to do with The Bont not getting the ball or Dunkley being down on form. The forwards chose to not work hard enough, not to spread when we had the ball or not to man up when we didn’t. You choose not to do that you do not get a free pass from criticism. Admittedly it wasn’t just the forwards who were guilty but the effort was pathetic and it should be labelled as such. (If I had the skills I would post a photo of a child crying, put a bulldogs forwards jumper on him and a caption “The Bont wouldn’t kick the ball to me”. What are our forwards, six years old)
I would respectfully disagree that any of the team chose not to work hard enough. That would be a huge indictment if true.
As you say, we were outnumbered all over the ground, so the midfield were part of the problem as backed up by their poor stats - would have to look at the Inside 50s to say how badly this impacted on the forwards but would have thought it would be a significant factor.
I agree the forwards needed to work harder though, as did the whole team. [But being smashed from the start helped stop that.]
If you win the battle of wills and things are going your way confidence lifts and less mistakes and fumbling. 🌈

AFDogs

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
For once I would like to see us bully a team. Both physically and on the scoreboard.

Feel like even when we win, we've been bashed around and we've simply just played better footy.

It'd be nice to see Cordy up for report for rough conduct on Cameron.

Seems like the shoes on the other foot.

Need to start playing like the western suburbs of Melbourne, unpretty and working class.

For once I would like to see us bully a team. Both physically and on the scoreboard.

Feel like even when we win, we've been bashed around and we've simply just played better footy.

Need to start playing like the western suburbs of Melbourne, unpretty and working class.
Or DeBore and Greene would be good ... and Mumford ... and......

One thing that annoyed me most about the game from our end of things, was that our normal pressure handballs weren't on
always passing a little bit ahead or behind which kill any movement

With Bailey Dale and Sam LLoyd getting none of the ball as forwards, shouldn't they have been pushed back to act as extra mids considering the hammering we we were getting? Neither of them are inside players, but they've had high possession games especially in the VFL. You'd expect a mature body like Lloyd to get stuck in. Naughts pushed up the wing and threw his body around. He's such an imposing figure as a 19 year old, you can't help but think he could be another 'once in a generation' superstar when he's 23.

GWS took the rough stuff way too far but I've never seen our mids get bossed like that. It shouldn't be such a surprise given that all their mids were high draft picks, I'll concede. I'm a bit wary of future meetings as their star players are reaching their prime, I'm not sure why some pundits claim the Giants premiership window is closing. Far from it. I'd love a top 4 finish & a home final against them next year. Imagine the noise. Full on Footcray feral.

With Bailey Dale and Sam LLoyd getting none of the ball as forwards, shouldn't they have been pushed back to act as extra mids considering the hammering we we were getting? Neither of them are inside players, but they've had high possession games especially in the VFL. You'd expect a mature body like Lloyd to get stuck in. Naughts pushed up the wing and threw his body around. He's such an imposing figure as a 19 year old, you can't help but think he could be another 'once in a generation' superstar when he's 23.

GWS took the rough stuff way too far but I've never seen our mids get bossed like that. It shouldn't be such a surprise given that all their mids were high draft picks, I'll concede. I'm a bit wary of future meetings as their star players are reaching their prime, I'm not sure why some pundits claim the Giants premiership window is closing. Far from it. I'd love a top 4 finish & a home final against them next year. Imagine the noise. Full on Footcray feral.
I think wherever and whenever we play them next year there's going to be some real edge to it. A game not to be missed.

No it was actually both years - 96 and 97.
****Little history lesson alert****
In 1996 Grant finished second in the Brownlow by one vote when Hird tied with Voss to win it. In the last round the Dogs played the Bombers with Grant and Hird the best (From memory Grant kicked 4 and was arguably better than Hird). However Essendon won the game by a kick and on Brownlow night Hird got the 3 votes and Grant 2.
It is thought that the result of the game affected the voting with the BOG going to the player on the winning team thus costing Grant a share of the Brownlow in 1996 a year before he actually won it in 97 when Ian Collins, alone, went above everyone’s head to cite Grant and get him rubbed out.
Spot on. The Hird 3, Grant 2 thing was a travesty. IIRC it was a close game decided by a single kick. Brownlow medals shouldn't depend on that sort of thing but the brainless media had already mandated decided that the 3 vote getters must be from the winning side.

EDIT: Just checked - we lost that game by 3 points. Pretty sure it was a late goal to Essendon. :(
Remember the soft frees against Sicily that helped us win in Rd3? That was a lot worse by Haynes and they got away with it
Himmelberg, not Haynes. I don't think Haynes' natural game is as dirty as that of most of his teammates.

Need to wait a few years. We're a team of mostly kids.

Freshwater

Premiership Player
Oct 30, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Cordy worries me when he has the footy. But he is hard, gives his all, and is still young. He has mongrel in him.
Rylee West has it. Libba has it. Dunks McCrae and Bont are very hard ball players. Big Tim English although light looks like he’ll be tough too as well as Naughton. We can build around that.
As we think about our recruiting this off season, tough hard footballers are important.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WallyStringhaus

Club Legend
Aug 27, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Spot on. The Hird 3, Grant 2 thing was a travesty. IIRC it was a close game decided by a single kick. Brownlow medals shouldn't depend on that sort of thing but the brainless media had already mandated decided that the 3 vote getters must be from the winning side.

EDIT: Just checked - we lost that game by 3 points. Pretty sure it was a late goal to Essendon. :(

Himmelberg, not Haynes. I don't think Haynes' natural game is as dirty as that of most of his teammates.
Fwiw...i was at the game against Essendon in 96 and regardless of result, Hird was still BOG by a long way imo.

Fwiw...i was at the game against Essendon in 96 and regardless of result, Hird was still BOG by a long way imo.
Well you were a lot closer than me. I watched it on TV but I thought Grant was clearly better.

Looks like you might be a bit more objective as a spectator than me, Wal ... ;)

WallyStringhaus

Club Legend
Aug 27, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Well you were a lot closer than me. I watched it on TV but I thought Grant was clearly better.

Looks like you might be a bit more objective as a spectator than me, Wal ... ;)
It stood out for me because I never really rated Hird all that highly. He never seemed to really play all that well against us apart from both games in 96 (6 of his 9 Brownlow votes against us). I could never understand why he was rated so highly in the media. I must have watched him live a dozen times and most times he was barely average. Andrew McLeod on the other hand...

stefoid

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 8, 2002
home
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Cordy worries me when he has the footy. But he is hard, gives his all, and is still young. He has mongrel in him.
Rylee West has it. Libba has it. Dunks McCrae and Bont are very hard ball players. Big Tim English although light looks like he’ll be tough too as well as Naughton. We can build around that.
As we think about our recruiting this off season, tough hard footballers are important.

only if they can play. 'roughing up' the opposition is an attitude, not a skill, and numbers are more important than individuals.

If one or two opposition players rough up one of ours then 3 or 4 bulldogs players rough them up - always, and without hesitation. If that escalates to an all in brawl, then whatever..thats for the umps to work out.

But that kind of bullshit cant be allowed to go unchecked ever again

Freshwater

Premiership Player
Oct 30, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
only if they can play. 'roughing up' the opposition is an attitude, not a skill, and numbers are more important than individuals.

If one or two opposition players rough up one of ours then 3 or 4 bulldogs players rough them up - always, and without hesitation. If that escalates to an all in brawl, then whatever..thats for the umps to work out.

But that kind of bulls**t cant be allowed to go unchecked ever again
No it can’t, agree. But a special type of toughness plays through it without being effected. We had guys like Hayes, JJ,Schach and Hunter who didn’t.

Himmler, Hindenberg, Himmelberg...they are or were all disaters

In regard to Grant, I can't remember who it was, one of our players, maybe Kretiuk? Kicked the ball in from a behind, straight to Mercuri, he duly slotted the goal in the dying minute/s of the game and as was quoted above, Hird the Turd got 3, Grant 2 and my TAB was left empty after an early season plunge at around 50/1. Let's not even talk about 97 when the TAB account suffered another pasting, this time at 25/1....

Back