Moved Thread Bulldogs - one of the worst premiership fluke title defences I've seen

What ya think?

• Yes

• No

• This is dumb

• Jack Watts thinks that the dogs fluked it.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

A fluke is maybe one game, but you don't fluke beating Eagles at home, reigning premiers Hawks and then GWS and Sydney in successive weeks.
Other teams simply not good enough.

the dogs should be counting their lucky stars they get to play north and brisbane twice. premiers dont normally receive that kind of luxury. should be fortunate that their season is still hanging on a thread after many fortunate close wins (wont explain why).

the dogs should be counting their lucky stars they get to play north and brisbane twice. premiers dont normally receive that kind of luxury. should be fortunate that their season is still hanging on a thread after many fortunate close wins (wont explain why).

We play north and Brisbane twice so the "bigger" teams can have their blockbusters and marquee games so what do you expect us to do?

We also lost a few close ones so what your point other than having a sook?

A fluke is maybe one game, but you don't fluke beating Eagles at home, reigning premiers Hawks and then GWS and Sydney in successive weeks.
Other teams simply not good enough.

No apparently you can

Also fluke making the 8 with as many injuries as we did.

All part of an AFL and umpiring conspiracy to give a team with 35000 members a flag and ignore the other teams with far greater memberships: oh and don't forget they apparently screwed their own baby(GWS) also

Unlikely in that they had to overcome a trip to Perth, Hawthorn, GWS in Sydney and then Sydney in the grand final. The odds of all those wins was pretty low, therefore it was unlikely.

I'm sorry you feel that way, but I was referring to the definition that had been mentioned earlier in the thread.

You still seem pretty upset. You should spend less time being bitter and just be happy to see your team win a flag. 17 other clubs' supporters didn't get the same opportunity last year!
Hahaha. Yep I'm bitter about winning a flag. Think about what you're saying mate.

We're all laughing at you all.

Still two wins off top four

We've been s**t for a large part of the season, believe me I've had to watch it and it's been bad, but we're not really that far from the teams at the top of the ladder. If we had a ruckman, a bit of speed apart from JJ and some pretension towards forward structure we'd be a contender.

It's a poor season but football is often bad in July, the month of hand-wringing and rose-coloured nostalgia for footy past. These years are better than the flooding years, the rolling scrum years.

Bev will find a way & Bont will be our leader, not in 2017 but the Dogs will rise before this decade is out.

Do you know how the fixtures are made these days? North were top 8 last year

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

What happened to that umpire that used to only give free kicks to the BullDogs? Is he still umpiring?
I think you'll find no such person exists.

Unlikely in that they had to overcome ...!
If you're saying a fluke is not being deliberately antagonistic but just a harmless description of 'unlikely with an ounce of luck' then covers every premiership team given there are 18 sides which, sticking with the theme of technical definitions, makes every premiership unlikely. It also makes the use of 'fluke' in the title a tautology thereby confirming it's really only there to be antagonistic

If you're saying a fluke is not being deliberately antagonistic but just a harmless description of 'unlikely with an ounce of luck' then covers every premiership team given there are 18 sides which, sticking with the theme of technical definitions, makes every premiership unlikely. It also makes the use of 'fluke' in the title a tautology thereby confirming it's really only there to be antagonistic
The use of the word fluke in the title is because moderators combined two threads, and in the process, combined the thread titles as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The use of the word fluke in the title is because moderators combined two threads, and in the process, combined the thread titles as well.
Seems a mistake in hindsight that was probably easy to predict in foresight as well.

They really are two separate questions (i) a fairly narrow comparison of fluke premierships - maybe with Adelaide in last 90s - and follow up seasons and (ii) is it a fluke.

Either way you read it though as one thread or two fluke was always intended to be antagonistic and I think the moderators have failed on this one.

Well obviously the 2nd doesn't apply to the Dogs because we're not 6 years into the future yet - but the Dogs have had a whack of injuries too.

In 2009 Mitchell and Bateman played 22 games, Brown and Franklin 21, Lewis, Sewell, Hodge, Birchall, Rioli, Murphy, Roughead 19, Taylor 18. 12 of their best 22 there playing most games.

Compared to Dogs this year - they've had Macrae, Dahlhaus, Bont, Hunter, JJ, Suckling, Picken and Wood miss 1 game total, but only Daniel and McLean out of the rest of the list are likely to make it to 18 games for the regular season. That's 10 that will play most games. Less games missed by the top 6 or so, but less players overall to have played 18+for the year.

Pretty comparable I''d think.
Issue I think was that the Hawks injuries in 2009 ran deep, but our injuries this year are structural. We've had our best KPF (Boyd), best KPD (Adams), and ruck (Roughead) miss significant chunks of the year, and in the absence of them, we've tried every combination of number of smalls and talls, and played a significant number of our talls in different positions.

Adams is a seriously good player, but by virtue of only playing 20 games of AFL footy, hasn't got a reputation to match the actual quality of the 20 games he's played, so neutral supporters don't recognise the value of him to our team. Pretty sure Cameron Ling didn't even have him as a key out, which is kind of ridiculous.

So whilst we haven't been "injury hit" in the sense that a lot of our key midfielders haven't missed a game, Hunter, Dahl, Bont, Macrae etc, we've had a different set up structurally with our talls every second week

Stringer: 14/17
Cordy 14/17
Boyd: 11/17
Adams: 10/17
Roberts: 10/17
Morris: 9/17
Roughead: 8/17
Redpath: 7/17
Campbell: 6/17
Cloke: 6/17
Crameri: 2/17
English: 2/17

Granted some of those players have been dropped, but the amount of players who have played in the 6-10 game range, ie half our games, just show you how disjointed our selection of talls has been this year, largely due to injury, and one of the reasons we're having a worse year than last year (last year our injuries were pretty bad, but it impacted in less important structural positions through midfield and outside ball users)

What a knee jerk. Hawks 09 was far worse.

Collingwood 2011, Hawthorn 2012, Sydney 2013 were all the worst premiership defenders in AFL history as well :thumbsu:

They all won the premierships the previous year and failed to defend the title miserably

I know I'm a smidge late to the party here, but...

Oh dear.

My team is playing champagne football in 2017 and is headed towards finals without massive assistance from the umpires.

Bahahahahahahaha....

How's the champagne tasting now, flog?

http%3A%2F%2Fo.aolcdn.com%2Fhss%2Fstorage%2Fmidas%2F7f2099399f49960acee5d9184898f2e0%2F204401534%2F611698086.jpg

It will taste even sweeter when the Bulldogs don't make finals and can't defend the premiership

Time to load up on the Dogs then...keep the nuff nuff predictions coming m8:thumbsu:

Issue I think was that the Hawks injuries in 2009 ran deep, but our injuries this year are structural. We've had our best KPF (Boyd), best KPD (Adams), and ruck (Roughead) miss significant chunks of the year, and in the absence of them, we've tried every combination of number of smalls and talls, and played a significant number of our talls in different positions.

Adams is a seriously good player, but by virtue of only playing 20 games of AFL footy, hasn't got a reputation to match the actual quality of the 20 games he's played, so neutral supporters don't recognise the value of him to our team. Pretty sure Cameron Ling didn't even have him as a key out, which is kind of ridiculous.

So whilst we haven't been "injury hit" in the sense that a lot of our key midfielders haven't missed a game, Hunter, Dahl, Bont, Macrae etc, we've had a different set up structurally with our talls every second week

Stringer: 14/17
Cordy 14/17
Boyd: 11/17
Adams: 10/17
Roberts: 10/17
Morris: 9/17
Roughead: 8/17
Redpath: 7/17
Campbell: 6/17
Cloke: 6/17
Crameri: 2/17
English: 2/17

Granted some of those players have been dropped, but the amount of players who have played in the 6-10 game range, ie half our games, just show you how disjointed our selection of talls has been this year, largely due to injury, and one of the reasons we're having a worse year than last year (last year our injuries were pretty bad, but it impacted in less important structural positions through midfield and outside ball users)

Don't even front with saying our injuries weren't structural that year, ohhh no. Croad, Williams and Campbells (an AA CHB, 2x leading goalkicker and a highly underrated ruckman) careers were basically over due to injuries, Gilham our FB played 10 games and regressed, we only had 4 guys play 20 games with half of our list seemingly missing every round. Ellis and Young were also previously very promising first round picks that never got over their GF injuries.

I was just looking at the amount of scrubs that played games for us that year and I think some of the trauma came back, bleh. I can definitely sympathise with injuries hitting you guys, but no way in hell is it worse. 09 was basically box hill almost making the finals with the help of Hodge, Mitchell and Lewis.

Back