Review Bulldogs scrap a 39 point win over GWS - Rd 6 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

I will start with a clear position - I hate the Giants. Guy behind me at the game yelling about them being a franchise was hilarious.

However, trying to put that aside they are going to be much stronger with Davis, Hogan, Coniglio, Druggy and a heap of others - they are trying to use a heavily defensive tactic to slow the play down and I was reluctantly impressed by how their kids stuck to it.

For us I have to agree with Bevo - very happy with the win but we let ourselves down by poor defensive pressure.

I expect a couple of changes will come to those players Bevo feels weren’t doing that watching the replay one of those may be JJ. These rules should really help him gobble up possession and give us what we know he can but if he can’t apply that pressure (wasn’t alone) the pressure teams will kill us

I will start with a clear position - I hate the Giants. Guy behind me at the game yelling about them being a franchise was hilarious.

However, trying to put that aside they are going to be much stronger with Davis, Hogan, Coniglio, Druggy and a heap of others - they are trying to use a heavily defensive tactic to slow the play down and I was reluctantly impressed by how their kids stuck to it.

For us I have to agree with Bevo - very happy with the win but we let ourselves down by poor defensive pressure.

I expect a couple of changes will come to those players Bevo feels weren’t doing that watching the replay one of those may be JJ. These rules should really help him gobble up possession and give us what we know he can but if he can’t apply that pressure (wasn’t alone) the pressure teams will kill us
Me too and I'm filthy about it. They have some hope when those mentioned return:sick:

I think they got that close specifically because they had to play that way due to their losses. They'd probably end up playing faster and more open when they get the rest of their team back and that would burn them.

Good to see a live game at last (and to catch up with a few of the far flung BF crew :beercheers:).

It was a strange night. Not much atmosphere at all. Some mates up from Vic said the same. Before the game we had been reminiscing over a beer about the famous 2016 PF and how electric and special that whole night was. This night was the antithesis.

The Dogs were much the same as the crowd. I can usually tell 5-10 minutes into a game whether we are "on" or not and we definitely weren't. There were worrying signs all through that first quarter. Things we haven't been seeing until now. Missed handballs, missed kicks, fumbles, slipped tackles of GWS players, trying to shrug tackles ourselves and getting caught, loose defending. It just seemed like we were a touch complacent. Or maybe just jaded - it can be hard to tell the difference sometimes. And to GWS's credit they weren't trying to start a stoush at all, they were keen, fast and tenacious and kept up the pressure most of the game. I had to check the stats because I wasn't even sure we were winning the clearances.

I did have the feeling that our advantage in experience and age would see us through a long game, and so it proved but it was a good reality check. The best sort really ... where you get a fright but still come away with the four points.

Some random observations:
  • Naughton is the most watchable player in the side by a good margin. Maybe in the AFL. He may have only kicked 2 goals but he must give defenders nightmares. Fast. Great hands. Huge leap. Irrepressible self belief. Good below his knees. Always keen to play on.
  • English had a shocker, long before Naughton's knee smashed into his jaw and ended his night. Just hope it's not a fracture and no dental damage. I just saw the replay and it was a scary impact.
  • Hunter did some very nice things. He gets a bad rap here.
  • Lin Jong ... :'(
  • Keath was fantastic all night
  • Macrae was his usual indomitable self. More Brownlow votes tonight I reckon.
  • Good on Lachie McNeil for seizing his chance and bobbing up with 2 goals and an assist. I know he didn't get big stats but he also only had 65% ToG. He's not a lock for the 22 by any means but I just like this kid.
  • The two most reliable shots for goal in this side are Liberatore (his kicking is hugely underrated) and Dale. Both set shots and on the run.
  • Treloar is fast becoming one of the most important players in the side. Great again tonight. I hope the Dunkley injury doesn't force a change in role for him.
Overall I felt that tonight was a danger game. And that's not just the usual Doggy paranoia. It's hard to stay "up" for long stretches of games and with five straight we'd been doing better than any side so far. This was the sort of game where a 10% drop in intensity could prove costly. It nearly did. Credit to GWS too.

However the 9 goal final term showed the hallmarks of a side that will challenge deep into September. The Bulldogs of 2017-2020 would have lost tonight.
Dogwatch - your posts are always worth a read, thank you. Brisdog xo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As one of the hardest Clay Smith said after the 2016 prelim - “ he goes alright the old jacko”

Jackson is as hard as a cats head - ridiculous comment from Nick

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I’d encourage teams to tag Macrae. I reckon he handles it better than anyone else in the team (Bont included) and would allow everyone else to get off the chain

Didn’t watch the game close enough (was with friends, beers etc).

Main question is how did Cordy go and did the backline function well with him in a key post?

Didn’t watch the game close enough (was with friends, beers etc).

Main question is how did Cordy go and did the backline function well with him in a key post?
He didn't star, but his aggression at the ball was good to see, and reasonably dependable.

He'll stay in for a week more, at least, and maybe even until Gardner is fit again. I'd back him ahead of Lewis Young for the Tigers.

If we are serious about bring contenders, we should slaughter Richmond next week.

No Martin, Lambert, Prestia, Vlastuin. Grimes has a sore ankle. No excuses to lose to them.

Treloar's introduction into the team has been a revelation. I thought we were getting a very good player at a discount. Instead ... we got a dead set stud for peanuts. Adam Treloar is a far better player than I gave him credit for. And seems like a very good, very popular teammate. So likeable and can football like few others. Kudos Adam.
Now that he is in a team where he doesn't have to do all the heavy lifting, and can be the outlet instead of the extractor. It allows him that bit of extra time to balance up and it shows in how much his "dodgy" disposal isn't anywhere near as bad as what people were saying.
Has been a massive pick up for us and rounds out our midfield mix beautifully.

He didn't star, but his aggression at the ball was good to see, and reasonably dependable.

He'll stay in for a week more, at least, and maybe even until Gardner is fit again. I'd back him ahead of Lewis Young for the Tigers.
Young won't be back anytime soon if he keeps going how he did in the VFL. Cordy to stay in for mine

It’s easy to be a doctor on BF

Did I ever tell you how I’m an astronaut?
I'm so sick of you astronauts thinking you can school the rest of us doctors about football.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back