Review Bulldogs scrap a 39 point win over GWS - Rd 6 2021

Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Tasmania
Hard to break a line when he’s mainly playing ahead of the ball Scrag.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

You're right, Fronk. I just rewatched the match and paid more attention to JJ and it was a pretty good game from him. I guess with JJ it's just a matter of adjusting expectations. At his best he was an absolute matchwinner, in discussions for AA etc. These days he's more of a role player which is fine. We're still a better side with him in it but he's rarely going to be the difference like he once was.

You're right, Fronk. I just rewatched the match and paid more attention to JJ and it was a pretty good game from him. I guess with JJ it's just a matter of adjusting expectations. At his best he was an absolute matchwinner, in discussions for AA etc. These days he's more of a role player which is fine. We're still a better side with him in it but he's rarely going to be the difference like he once was.
especially since we often dont actually know what specific role they are being asked to play, and that those roles can change from quarter to quarter due to game circumstance.
sometimes its obvious, other times not so much.

Definitely a different role for him. He won’t have nearly as much of the pill as he used to.

I still think there’s lots of upside from that group. With the amount of supply the mids are providing, and with the 3 talls making us more competitive in the air than ever, there’s good opportunity there for some small/mediums to make more impact than we are now.

West is a no-brainer. Garcia and weightman will likely get their chances as well.

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
He’s not fighting with much for his spot though DR. Gives him a good chance at making that spot his own.

McNeill, Scott, Hunter, Vandermeer and JJ made up a 5 man wing/forward rotation.

Love Vandermeer, but he’s really struggling. Scott and McNeill are just toilers. Hunter is finding his feet with that role ok.

The team looks stronger defensively without JJ behind the ball, so I don’t expect him to go back.

West improves that group, so I’m hopeful he’ll come into that 5 man rotation. Garcia and weightman could push their way into that 5 as well.

Really liked Hunters game, I think he’s finding his feet there big time. VDM gotta be carrying something, he’s struggling big time. I think McNeils starting to come along now, much much better this week. Still adjusting to the level but I think he’s got a future, Scott needs to make way for West ASAP, might get another go if VDM misses but I’d rather see what Garcia or Weightman has at the level over seeing Scott play again, offers nothing

Next Waiting

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 19, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
On VDM did anyone else notice that he is now the outright AFL record holder for repeat sprints since tracker started in 2017. 14 achieved in Round 3 this year. Repeat sprinting is defined as the total amount of sprints (above 24km/h) within 60 seconds of each of each. I'd be sore if I did 2.....

Really liked Hunters game, I think he’s finding his feet there big time. VDM gotta be carrying something, he’s struggling big time. I think McNeils starting to come along now, much much better this week. Still adjusting to the level but I think he’s got a future, Scott needs to make way for West ASAP, might get another go if VDM misses but I’d rather see what Garcia or Weightman has at the level over seeing Scott play again, offers nothing

Vandermeer definitely carrying an injury. Came off several times struggling with it. Looked like something around his hip perhaps? Wouldn’t be surprised if he misses this week.

hutchy31

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If we are serious about bring contenders, we should slaughter Richmond next week.

No Martin, Lambert, Prestia, Vlastuin. Grimes has a sore ankle. No excuses to lose to them.

Wounded champions tend to find something when they’re in trouble like this, until they don’t (us vs hawks in 2016 finals). Friday night will be very interesting.

I want us to win for the obvious reasons, but now they’re 3-3 there’s the additional bonus of their top 4 aspirations being dealt an enormous blow if we do manage a win. It’s Richmond so they could run off a bunch of wins in a row but there’s not much margin for error from 3-4.

16-6 would require a 13-2 finish to home and away, which is not impossible when you look at their draw but there are two Geelong games, two Brisbane games and a WC away trip in there.

Jan 1, 2015
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If we are serious about bring contenders, we should slaughter Richmond next week.

No Martin, Lambert, Prestia, Vlastuin. Grimes has a sore ankle. No excuses to lose to them.

No Dunkley, English, Williams, ( absolute key players for us this year), Gardner ( no Grimes but our second key back like it or not) McLean ( best 22 if not injured last year) VDM and Richards ( players who have been regulars or close to it). It will be all No Dusty talk all week but we are not exactly full strength either. And we ain’t 3 time premiers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garcia has enormous upside. He's quick, loves to tackle, evades tackles and is unafraid of contested work. His kicking under pressure needs work and, being lightly built, he may find the bigger bodies at senior level daunting. No surprises if we see him at senior level at some stage during the season however. Not sure where he fits in our stacked midfield but could possibly find a role as a McDonald-Tipungwuti type small forward which would be very handy.

Dale4captain

Premiership Player
Sep 14, 2010
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Garcia has enormous upside. He's quick, loves to tackle, evades tackles and is unafraid of contested work. His kicking under pressure needs work and, being lightly built, he may find the bigger bodies at senior level daunting. No surprises if we see him at senior level at some stage during the season however. Not sure where he fits in our stacked midfield but could possibly find a role as a McDonald-Tipungwuti type small forward which would be very handy.
Has Prestia vibes imo. Stocky and very contested. Think there’s a spot for him in the middle but not quite yet.

Is McNeill the competition leader for 'steals'?
He seems to have one per week which generally result in a goal for us. Against GWS he kicked it himself which is good for his confidence.

He seems to have one per week which generally result in a goal for us. Against GWS he kicked it himself which is good for his confidence.

Pretty sure the internal nick name for him at the club is now McSteal due to his ability to intercept, your right when you say his been doing it almost every game, sometimes a few times.

Mar 5, 2015
West of Woop Woop
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Marconi, Arsenal, GreenEdge
The whole dynamic of footy seems to have changed.

On another note, that mark of McNeil's (from Hunter?) and ensuing goal were impressive. I think he's earning his spot quietly and effectively.
Agreed. Lachie was good again friday night. Cant ask for more. Doing his job.

Contador

Club Legend
Aug 24, 2009
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Interesting coaches votes.

8-Macrae, Treloar
4- Bont, Grubby
3- Libba
2- Keath
1-Dunkley

1 of the coaches rated Greene the 2nd best on ground, the other wiped him. The other coach gave Bont 4 votes, the other none.

Would be interesting to know which coach voted for which player.

I always find our coaches votes pretty funny because I'm pretty sure Bevo hardly ever gives opposition players any votes (unless they smash us and he has to), and gives Bont 4 or 5 at every chance he gets. Based on that, I think we can be pretty confident Toby got 4 votes from Cameron.

Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Tasmania
Pretty sure the internal nick name for him at the club is now McSteal due to his ability to intercept, your right when you say his been doing it almost every game, sometimes a few times.

It puts so much perceived pressure on our opponents. They never know when McSteal might be lurking behind them waiting to gobble up their handball.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Interesting coaches votes.

8-Macrae, Treloar
4- Bont, Grubby
3- Libba
2- Keath
1-Dunkley

1 of the coaches rated Greene the 2nd best on ground, the other wiped him. The other coach gave Bont 4 votes, the other none.

Would be interesting to know which coach voted for which player.

No chance Bev is giving the grub any votes

What's your thoughts on Garcia, Fronk?

Seen bugger all of him DR, but really like the bits I have seen. Seems aggressive, clean and with a bit of zip.

Again, looks more of a small mid (which we don’t need) than a small forward tho.

Have you seen any of him?

bobs head soup

Peanuts Peanuts
Sep 14, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It's good to see McNeil get some acknowledgement for his front half intercepts, I've been commenting on them since Round 2.

No doubt the McNeil knockers (of which there are no shortage) will counter that he needs to do more to get involved in scoring chains when we have the ball.

The counter-countet argument would be that Lachie is doing plenty by blocking for others and unrewarded runs to create space for others.

The truth is probably somewhere in between, but either way I'm enjoying his presence in the team. He does some difficult things very well.

Back