Toast Bulldogs smash Norf 87-38. Lolnorf

Remove this Banner Ad

Really liking having Richards and VDM on the wings who are quick and have penetrating kicking. Not missing Hunter and his slow loopy kicks and sideways play at all.

Absolutely agree. Hunter is very overrated by our members and media. He has elite endurance and running ability which is why he finds lots of space and cheap possessions. He does slow up play a lot and goes backwards more than forward. Not good defensively one on one & horrible at sticking a tackle. Doesn’t have the speed of Richards and Vander or the long kicks. Footy IQ is pretty good and elite endurance. Shorten quarters won’t help him. We really haven’t missed him at all and cringe to think we would drop Richards or Vanders for him.

Goldstein was good around the ground too. Both players were very good for their respective teams, it was an entertaining contest to watch. Tim certainly is coming along beautifully.
ENglish was definitely more influential. He got 5 more marks than Goldy and more possessions. Goldy did kick 2 goals with one of them Joe the goose, but English was a lot more influential around the ground.

Absolutely agree. Hunter is very overrated by our members and media. He has elite endurance and running ability which is why he finds lots of space and cheap possessions. He does slow up play a lot and goes backwards more than forward. Not good defensively one on one & horrible at sticking a tackle. Doesn’t have the speed of Richards and Vander or the long kicks. Footy IQ is pretty good and elite endurance. Shorten quarters won’t help him. We really haven’t missed him at all and cringe to think we would drop Richards or Vanders for him.

I personally think that when Hunter is allowed to play inside the contest and attacks the ball he is an excellent player.

ENglish was definitely more influential. He got 5 more marks than Goldy and more possessions. Goldy did kick 2 goals with one of them Joe the goose, but English was a lot more influential around the ground.
Goldy had 15 possessions (11 contested) at 93.3% efficiency, 3 clearances and 2 goals- very good numbers for a Ruckman.

I agree English shaded him around the ground but Goldy was still a big influence.

AFL rated English highest on the ground with 99 points, Goldstein 2nd highest with 94. Both were really good.

Must be highly rated by the club going by his B&F results

Our supporters are the best.

After three months of the AFL season, we were sitting on the bottom of the ladder without a single win. Our supporters were calling for Bevo's head.

We have since gone undefeated and have to go way back to the last financial year since we lost a match. As a result, we are sitting in the top eight and Bevo is now the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I dare say if he was still picking teams with weak links a few people would remain pretty worried!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I dare say if he was still picking teams with weak links a few people would remain pretty worried!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

He has got the mix finally right.

Guys like Gardener, Gowers, Will Hayes, R.Smith are not really up to standard.

He has put a line through Trengrove (who is a lot better than Gardener)as he did in the past with Minson, Campbell, Roughead. They all have a similar attribute.

He has put a line through Trengrove (who is a lot better than Gardener)as he did in the past with Minson, Campbell, Roughead. They all have a similar attribute.
Roughead doesn't belong in that list. Played all the late season games in his final year at the Dogs. If anything Bevo rated him too much, constantly Rucking him when his body wasn't quite up to it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bevo did mention Trengove as someone who's been playing really well in scratch matches. Was surprised to hear that name out of his mouth honestly.

Goldy had 15 possessions (11 contested) at 93.3% efficiency, 3 clearances and 2 goals- very good numbers for a Ruckman.

I agree English shaded him around the ground but Goldy was still a big influence.

AFL rated English highest on the ground with 99 points, Goldstein 2nd highest with 94. Both were really good.
Whoever shaded who in the ruck is almost incidental. The point we need to recognise is that tyro Tim English - the bloke some were worried would never make it as a ruckman a few weeks ago - pretty much matched it with the form ruckman of the AFL, the highly experienced Todd Goldstein. Even in the hit outs there was no comprehensive advantage to North even though that was something most of us were readily conceding before the game.

This squaring of the contest not only neutralised one (or two?) of Norths strengths, it also enabled us to field an extra running player which definitely gave us an edge.

As a bonus Timmy took a scintillating mark that is a candidate for MotW. Just a shame he missed the set shot.

Goldstein has already reached his career peak. English is still on the way up. If he stays sound there are good times ahead.

Agree Naughton should go back.

He, Cordy and Keath are all so mobile, they could all play. And Easton is only a 10 game a year guy these days.
Fronk, aren’t you a bit worried about schache against a good side being our CHF? He’s pretty much useless when the ball isn’t coming to him on a lead. And also the the ball hits the deck. Would love a fit Naughton to be playing high up the ground. He’s a competitive beast who just refuses to lose a one on one contest. I think with Keath playing the lock down KPD role it frees up Cordy to take the lesser defender and Woody is free to play 3rd man

Agree Naughton should go back.

He, Cordy and Keath are all so mobile, they could all play. And Easton is only a 10 game a year guy these days.

Heard from someone at the club at the start of the year all the other coaches want Naughton down back, they think it will make us so hard to score against but Bevo is committed to him forward. Think that could change if Bruce and Schache keep working well together.

Wood was great last night. Hopefully getting Keath has free'd him up to do what he does best.

Vandemeer and West both look like cementing their spots. Vandemeers pace and his penetrating kicks make him stand out, he goes hard at it too. West is a beast with a good footy brain. Attacks every contest he's in with vigour.

I'd prefer those types over a guy like Suckling even though they aren't as experienced.

The new HTB interpretation is absolute shiteee.
Umpiring was soft last night imo. As much as it pains me to say but Bruce was gifted a gimme with a frontal contact free that was soft. The 50 was just as bad
Worst decisions of the night were Libba HTB then Higgins HTB. Umpires just decided to change the rules at half time. Totally baffling. Umpiring NEEDS to be consistent and predictable. The players literally didn’t know what was going on last night.

The front on contact on Bruce was the right call for me. It was soft but everyone knows you can’t do it so it’s not a surprise.

Fronk, aren’t you a bit worried about schache against a good side being our CHF? He’s pretty much useless when the ball isn’t coming to him on a lead. And also the the ball hits the deck. Would love a fit Naughton to be playing high up the ground. He’s a competitive beast who just refuses to lose a one on one contest. I think with Keath playing the lock down KPD role it frees up Cordy to take the lesser defender and Woody is free to play 3rd man

Odds are we continue with Naughton as a forward but the nature forward stuff that Schache does will take time for Naughton to learn. Schache knows when and where to lead which opens things up. That moment where he contested the mark, let Bruce collect and ran back hard towards goal was great forward craft because it gave Bruce space and an easy target. Naughton can do that stuff, he played like that in the Geelong game last season, but his natural instinct is to sit and try and intercept the high ball like a defender. Needs to work on that because Bruce isn't what I'd call a natural forward either.

Schache was so good last night. Just finished the replay. Genuinely robbed of at least 3-4 contested marks. I was so impressed. His patterns are awesome and his blockwork in the contest is great. Bruce would bloody love playing with him.

the other that really impressed me was Jongy. His marking was awesome down the line. Had no right to hold some of the marks he did yet just vice like.

Worst decisions of the night were Libba HTB then Higgins HTB. Umpires just decided to change the rules at half time. Totally baffling. Umpiring NEEDS to be consistent and predictable. The players literally didn’t know what was going on last night.

The front on contact on Bruce was the right call for me. It was soft but everyone knows you can’t do it so it’s not a surprise.
Off the top of my head, West was caught with a crap HTB decision against him too.

The new HTB interpretation is absolute shiteee.
Umpiring was soft last night imo. As much as it pains me to say but Bruce was gifted a gimme with a frontal contact free that was soft. The 50 was just as bad

the front on , right arm dragged down . Tarrant knew it was a free.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back