Toast Bulldogs Team of the 21st Century

Remove this Banner Ad

I
Being pedantic here.

Hall came at the end of 2009.

We dropped back in 2007 after making finals in 2006.

But yes Aker was a very good player in 08 and 09.
Ah yes the 3 prelims were 2008 - 10 with Hall playing 2010.
I always said if we had Hall in 2009, we beat St Kilda in the prelim (list by 7 points)

B: Easton Wood (160) - Brian Lake (197) - Lindsay Gilbee (206)
HB: Robert Murphy (309) - Dale Morris (253) - Matthew Boyd (292)

R: Luke Darcy (114) - Jack Macrae (141) - Marcus Bontempelli (127)
C: Ryan Griffen (202) - Scott West (154) - Lachie Hunter (128)

HF: Nathan Brown (66, 145) - Chris Grant (111, 121) - Daniel Giansiracusa (265, 331)
F: Brad Johnson (219, 420) - Barry Hall (39, 135) - Tory Dickson (113, 181)

I: Ryan Hargrave (203) - Adam Cooney (219) - Daniel Cross (210) - Liam Picken (198)

E: Rohan Smith (130) - Nathan Eagleton (198) - Tom Liberatore (132) - Jake Stringer (89, 160) - Will Minson (191)

Current players that who have a good chance to crack the team by the end of their career

Jason Johannisen (126), Caleb Daniel (91), Josh Dunkley (66), Aaron Naughton (41)

It’s funny how close to this team Naughton is already. Especially if you played Grant down back, I’d strongly consider picking Naughton with Hall as the key forwards.

Naughton has like 3rd in regards to output out of all the key forwards we have played in the past 20 years.

Gee some short memories in here.

Akermanis walks into that side. He was the key reason we rose back up the ladder in 2007 and contested 3 premlins in a row (Hall helped in 2009). He was one step ahead of our players at the time, brilliant with ball in hand great decision maker and great skills either side.

It may have only been a short stint but Hall and Aker were fantastic for us.

Good post

Agree with Aker

Could not agree less with Aker.

His 2008 and 2009 seasons were very good, however he was certainly not one step ahead of our players at the time, he wouldn't be in the top 5 and arguably top 10 of our players at the time. His 2007 was poor.

On the other hand, aside from that QF loss against the Cats where he was probably the Dog's best, Aker is probably the worst dogs finals performer of all time.

Absolutely WOEFUL.

B: Easton Wood (160) - Brian Lake (197) - Lindsay Gilbee (206)
HB: Robert Murphy (309) - Dale Morris (253) - Matthew Boyd (292)

R: Luke Darcy (114) - Jack Macrae (141) - Marcus Bontempelli (127)
C: Ryan Griffen (202) - Scott West (154) - Lachie Hunter (128)

HF: Nathan Brown (66, 145) - Chris Grant (111, 121) - Daniel Giansiracusa (265, 331)
F: Brad Johnson (219, 420) - Barry Hall (39, 135) - Tory Dickson (113, 181)

I: Ryan Hargrave (203) - Adam Cooney (219) - Daniel Cross (210) - Liam Picken (198)

E: Rohan Smith (130) - Nathan Eagleton (198) - Tom Liberatore (132) - Jake Stringer (89, 160) - Will Minson (191)

Current players that who have a good chance to crack the team by the end of their career

Jason Johannisen (126), Caleb Daniel (91), Josh Dunkley (66), Aaron Naughton (41)
I'd say there's a case to include Matthew Robbins or Mitch Hahn over Tory Dickson, but even Tory takes over given his finals performances.

Changes at end of 2020:
IN: Daniel
OUT: Gilbee

FB: E.WOOD* - B.LAKE - R.SMITH
HB: R.MURPHY (vc) - D.MORRIS - C.DANIEL*
C: R.GRIFFEN - S.WEST - A.COONEY
HF: N.BROWN - C.GRANT - D.GIANSIRACUSA
FF: B.JOHNSON (c) - J.STRINGER - J.AKERMANIS
RR: L.DARCY - M.BONTEMPELLI* - M.BOYD
INT: J.MACRAE* - D.CROSS - TOM LIBERATORE* - L.DAHLHAUS
COACH: LUKE BEVERIDGE*

Minimum 50 games this century.

Changes at end of 2020:
IN: Daniel
OUT: Gilbee

FB: E.WOOD* - B.LAKE - R.SMITH
HB: R.MURPHY (vc) - D.MORRIS - C.DANIEL*
C: R.GRIFFEN - S.WEST - A.COONEY
HF: N.BROWN - C.GRANT - D.GIANSIRACUSA
FF: B.JOHNSON (c) - J.STRINGER - J.AKERMANIS
RR: L.DARCY - M.BONTEMPELLI* - M.BOYD
INT: J.MACRAE* - D.CROSS - TOM LIBERATORE* - L.DAHLHAUS
COACH: LUKE BEVERIDGE*

Minimum 50 games this century.

I would change:
In: Hunter (should start ahead of Cooney)
Out: Dahlhaus
In: Gilbee
Out: R Smith
In: Naughton
Out: Stringer

Changes at end of 2021:
Positional change: Macrae on to wing. Cooney to bench.

[TD valign="top"]FB[/TD][TD valign="top"]E.WOOD*[/TD][TD valign="top"]B.LAKE[/TD][TD valign="top"]R.SMITH[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]HB[/TD][TD valign="top"]R.MURPHY (vc)[/TD][TD valign="top"]D.MORRIS[/TD][TD valign="top"]C.DANIEL*[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]C[/TD][TD valign="top"]J.MACRAE*[/TD][TD valign="top"]S.WEST[/TD][TD valign="top"]R.GRIFFEN[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]HF[/TD][TD valign="top"]N.BROWN[/TD][TD valign="top"]C.GRANT[/TD][TD valign="top"]D.GIANSIRACUSA[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]FF[/TD][TD valign="top"]B.JOHNSON (c)[/TD][TD valign="top"]J.STRINGER[/TD][TD valign="top"]J.AKERMANIS[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]RR[/TD][TD valign="top"]L.DARCY[/TD][TD valign="top"]M.BONTEMPELLI*[/TD][TD valign="top"]M.BOYD[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]INT[/TD][TD valign="top"]A.COONEY[/TD][TD valign="top"]TOM LIBERATORE*[/TD][TD valign="top"]D.CROSS - L.DAHLHAUS[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]COACH:[/TD][TD valign="top"]LUKE BEVERIDGE*[/TD][TD valign="top"][/TD]

Changes at end of 2021:
Positional change: Macrae on to wing. Cooney to bench.

[TD valign="top"]FB[/TD][TD valign="top"]E.WOOD*[/TD][TD valign="top"]B.LAKE[/TD][TD valign="top"]R.SMITH[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]HB[/TD][TD valign="top"]R.MURPHY (vc)[/TD][TD valign="top"]D.MORRIS[/TD][TD valign="top"]C.DANIEL*[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]C[/TD][TD valign="top"]J.MACRAE*[/TD][TD valign="top"]S.WEST[/TD][TD valign="top"]R.GRIFFEN[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]HF[/TD][TD valign="top"]N.BROWN[/TD][TD valign="top"]C.GRANT[/TD][TD valign="top"]D.GIANSIRACUSA[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]FF[/TD][TD valign="top"]B.JOHNSON (c)[/TD][TD valign="top"]J.STRINGER[/TD][TD valign="top"]J.AKERMANIS[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]RR[/TD][TD valign="top"]L.DARCY[/TD][TD valign="top"]M.BONTEMPELLI*[/TD][TD valign="top"]M.BOYD[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]INT[/TD][TD valign="top"]A.COONEY[/TD][TD valign="top"]TOM LIBERATORE*[/TD][TD valign="top"]D.CROSS - L.DAHLHAUS[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]COACH:[/TD][TD valign="top"]LUKE BEVERIDGE*[/TD][TD valign="top"][/TD]

Mate, I was about to blast you for trolling re: Roake Smith.* But then I remembered Bubba. 😂

*No disrespect to Roake. He had a great end of the year and can hold his head high.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stringer has got to go. Dicko was more reliable...

Yeah and who could forget Gilbee's kicking. Agree Gilbee in over Dahlhaus or Wood

Wood Lake Gilbee
Murphy Morris Smith
Griffen Bontmpelli Macrae
Liberatore Naughton Cooney
Johnson Hall Brown
Darcy West Boyd
Daniel Minson Hunter Giansiracusa

If we needed to pick genuine wingmen then I'd have Hunter & Eagleton in those spots.

Wood Lake Gilbee
Murphy Morris Smith
Griffen Bontmpelli Macrae
Liberatore Naughton Cooney
Johnson Hall Brown
Darcy West Boyd
Daniel Minson Hunter Giansiracusa

If we needed to pick genuine wingmen then I'd have Hunter & Eagleton in those spots.
No Grant?

He’d obviously be in my 20th century team, but Naughton’s 3 seasons as a KPF are already better than what Grant produced as a forward this century - in my opinion.

I dont have Hall in mine because it should really be a minimum 50 game requirement. Not sure playing only 2 seasons should qualify him.

He’d obviously be in my 20th century team, but Naughton’s 3 seasons as a KPF are already better than what Grant produced as a forward this century - in my opinion.
Naughton's not the issue. I think you're too focused on old fashioned footy. This is evidenced by your selection of Minson. The footy world has moved on from that.

Even if we are disadvantaged in the ruck, you can't tell me Minson gets in ahead of Grant.

If I'm selecting a team of the 21st century to win a game of footy, and you have one player to choose out of those two, I can't see how Minson gets selected ahead of Grant.

With the team you've selected, I'd be more than happy for Hall to spend 20% of the time in the ruck if Darcy needs a rest. No need to have Minson IMO.

Naughton's not the issue. I think you're too focused on old fashioned footy. This is evidenced by your selection of Minson. The footy world has moved on from that.

Even if we are disadvantaged in the ruck, you can't tell me Minson gets in ahead of Grant.

If I'm selecting a team of the 21st century to win a game of footy, and you have one player to choose out of those two, I can't see how Minson gets selected ahead of Grant.

With the team you've selected, I'd be more than happy for Hall to spend 20% of the time in the ruck if Darcy needs a rest. No need to have Minson IMO.

Plenty of teams still use two ruckmen in 2021? If you want to treat this like a real team, which it isn’t, then consider Darcy a forward/ruck as that’s what he spent at least half of his career as.

Grant’s injuries from 1999 onwards robbed him of a lot of his athleticism. He wasn’t the same player any more.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back