precieved favouritism of umpiring Bulldogs games

Remove this Banner Ad

What's wrong with what Longmire said? AFL umpiring has gone from bad to worse in recent years and is influencing games too much, it needs to improve.

Probably only Bulldogs and Hawthorn supporters would happy with the sub standard umpiring as they've been the main beneficiaries of it recently.
Yes of course.

Us premiership supporters find it easy to be happy.

dogs fans still trying to justify the daylight robbery that occured

just go enjoy the win, unless you feel guilty..

Not one bit.

The Clay Smith free was a bad call granted.

And if you wanted a sliding free, perhaps Dale Morris on Papley could've been called.

I've watched the Wood vs. Hannebery collision about 80 times…. Wood gets there a split second first dropping to his knees as he arrives. Hands and knees. No sliding in. It was unfortunate what happened to Hanners but it was nothing different to the incidental contact that sees dozens of players injured throughout the year. Absolutely no sliding in and I would be in total agreement if it was the other way around. Papley wasn't injured in his contest so it wasn't even mentioned…. Morris was praised for his effort in the commentary even. The Wood / Hanners contest wouldn't have raised an eyebrow had he not been hurt.

Perhaps your coach and fitness staff should justify why you guys ground to a halt in the last half of the final quarter. If the game had gone another 10 minutes we would've won by 7 goals. Your guys were running on the spot. But yeah, umpires.

What's wrong with what Longmire said? AFL umpiring has gone from bad to worse in recent years and is influencing games too much, it needs to improve.

Probably only Bulldogs and Hawthorn supporters would be happy with the sub standard umpiring as they've been the main beneficiaries of it recently.

Nothing is wrong with what he said. All i'm inferring is that he should focus on coaching his teams come GF day, so that they are not embarrassed for a 3rd time.

Nothing is wrong with what he said. All i'm inferring is that he should focus on coaching his teams come GF day, so that they are not embarrassed for a 3rd time.

I don't think the Swans were embarrassed in last year's GF like they were in the 2014 GF, their effort was good and they led for a large part of the game.

The only people that really embarrassed themselves were the umpires for getting caught up in the Bulldogs hype rather than umpiring impartially.

I've watched the Wood vs. Hannebery collision about 80 times…. Wood gets there a split second first dropping to his knees as he arrives. Hands and knees. No sliding in. It was unfortunate what happened to Hanners but it was nothing different to the incidental contact that sees dozens of players injured throughout the year. Absolutely no sliding in
The law doesn't say anything about sliding in and there doesn't need to be sliding for it to be a free kick.

Perhaps your coach and fitness staff should justify why you guys ground to a halt in the last half of the final quarter. If the game had gone another 10 minutes we would've won by 7 goals. Your guys were running on the spot. But yeah, umpires.
Why did a team slow down after one of their best running midfielders and distributors got taken out and left them essentially a rotation down for most of the last quarter? Indeed that's something to puzzle over.

Why did a team slow down after one of their best running midfielders and distributors got taken out and left them essentially a rotation down for most of the last quarter? Indeed that's something to puzzle over.

Hannerbury had checked out of the game long before anyway

The law doesn't say anything about sliding in and there doesn't need to be sliding for it to be a free kick.

I saw two guys going in low to contest a footy. One of them got there a split second earlier than the other on hands and knees, eyes purely for the ball which he subsequently won. The other copped incidental contact to his legs which unfortunately resulted in a knee injury. But like his opponent, he was going hard for the footy as well.

So explain to me why you think it was a free kick. Was it the injury? And like I stated earlier, if it Wood who was injured in the same contest it's play on as far as I'm concerned.

I don't think the Swans were embarrassed in last year's GF like they were in the 2014 GF, their effort was good and they led for a large part of the game.

The only people that really embarrassed themselves were the umpires for getting caught up in the Bulldogs hype rather than umpiring impartially.
Because one player who left his feet made forceful contact with the lower legs of another player who remained on his feet.
Except he hit him above the knee.

Probably only Bulldogs and Hawthorn supporters would be happy with the sub standard umpiring as they've been the main beneficiaries of it recently.
St Kilda have been awarded the greatest amount of free kicks that were incorrectly paid over the past 5 seasons. So obviously they've been the greatest beneficiaries of poor umpiring.

St Kilda have been awarded the greatest amount of free kicks that were incorrectly paid over the past 5 seasons. So obviously they've been the greatest beneficiaries of poor umpiring.

Resorting to fake news doesn't help your credibility.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Resorting to fake news doesn't help your credibility.
OK then, so we've established that only you're allowed to make things up concerning umpiring and present them as fact then?

If I was a Swans supporter I'd be a little miffed with the umpiring on the day - there were 3-4 occurrences of clear inconsistency across the entire 120 minutes. Rampe HTB in the 3rd qtr (too harsh), Clay Smith too high in the 3rd qtr (was technically there but too incidental), Toby McLean free just before half time (inconsistent), below the knees contact on Hanners early in the last qtr (borderline but there - s**t rule anyway). If the Morris below the knees contact is ruled as a free in the future we may as well rip up the rules and start again.

Having said that if I was a Swans supporter I would also understand that the goal reversal against JJ was an appalling use of flawed technology that overturned a goal umpire's clear decision, and I would also understand that Buddy and Kennedy were given inordinate amounts of time on 3-4 occasions to get rid of the ball in legitimate tackles and were both incredibly lucky not to be penalised - at least one of these directly resulted in a goal to Tom Mitchell.

Above all if I was a Swans supporter I'd know deep down that my team was outplayed on the day and that the umpires had no impact whatsoever on the end result, which ended up being almost 4 goals, and truth be told the Swans were lucky to be that close with the level of dominance in the 2nd half by the Dogs. Only certain moronic St Kilda lemmings continue to pollute this and other threads with dopey and thoughtless protestations to the contrary, such is their hatred of our club and what we achieved in 2016 that their club has failed to do so time and time again.

Last edited:
dogs fans still trying to justify the daylight robbery that occured

just go enjoy the win, unless you feel guilty..

We've been enjoying the win for 4 months. I've watched the replay 20+ times, and there is really only one passage of play that stands out in the way it was umpired, and that was the Smith goal in the 3rd quarter. But any guilt from that softish free falls away when you watch the last quarter. You just see a mighty wave overcome the sydney midfield and backline, and then you realize that the better team won in the end, so the umpiring is irrelevent.

I would also understand that Buddy and Kennedy were given inordinate amounts of time on 3-4 occasions to get rid of the ball in legitimate tackles and were both incredibly lucky not to be penalised - at least one of these directly resulted in a goal to Tom Mitchell.
If we're including suspect disposal or HTB, then the grievance list would be slightly longer on the Swans half as well. I haven't really bothered with them because where would you start with either side.

As for JJ overturned goal, he shouldn't have even had a shot. That chance came about as a result of a horrendous missed free on Rampe.

OK then, so we've established that only you're allowed to make things up concerning umpiring and present them as fact then?

What am I making up? That Hawthorn and the Bulldogs have been more favoured by the umpires than St Kilda in recent years? That's backed up by the stats and the fact that #freekickhawthorn and #freekickbulldogs were trending here last here and on other social media, there was no #freekickstkilda trending anywhere.

Conversely your post saying that "St Kilda have been awarded the greatest amount of free kicks that were incorrectly paid over the past 5 seasons. So obviously they've been the greatest beneficiaries of poor umpiring" is just made up garbage with no basis in fact.

Your knowledge of credibility is on par with your knowledge of premierships.

I have more credibility discussing umpiring than Bulldogs and Hawthorn supporters who continue to deny they've been favoured by the umpiring despite overwhelming evidence that suggests otherwise.

If we're including suspect disposal or HTB, then the grievance list would be slightly longer on the Swans half as well. I haven't really bothered with them because where would you start with either side.

As for JJ overturned goal, he shouldn't have even had a shot. That chance came about as a result of a horrendous missed free on Rampe.
Sorry I didn't want to jump back in but we're on the same page here - you need to provide some sort of analysis of the decisions to back up a claim of favouritism. The JJ goal (like the Hunter tunnelball) led to one point only and an immediate return to Swans set-play possession within 30-40 metres of the alleged offence. Not really influential in the end.

I know you think the count was some statistical anomaly and quote that it was some record breaking event but I don't really buy that argument when only 4 years early the count was 21-10. So 2016 wasn't even the most and the differential greater by one. Not enough to be statistically significant I wouldn't think.

Look also at the Swans run of three goals in the 2nd quarter. Rohan essentially got a free shot on goal because the umpire (understandably) failed to adequately communicate it was touched. Had players been aware he would've almost certainly been tackled and no shot made. Look at the next one and Mitchell's 'disposal' (just lets go of the ball in the tackle) that Heeney collects and goes on to Kennedy for his second. Watch Parker make an unrealistic attempt and take out Wood in the contest that Kennedy crumbs and gets his third. Plenty of counterpoints on the Dogs side as well. (I'm not advocating for any of those frees though nor claiming we were robbed in the process - just offering up some other interpretations).

Sorry I didn't want to jump back in but we're on the same page here - you need to provide some sort of analysis of the decisions to back up a claim of favouritism. ).
Where have I claimed favouritism, bias, or that it definitely cost the Swans a victory?
I know you think the count was some statistical anomaly and quote that it was some record breaking event but I don't really buy that argument when only 4 years early the count was 21-10. So 2016 wasn't even the most and the differential greater by one. Not enough to be statistically significant I wouldn't think.
Well, despite your incredulity, having the greatest Grand Final differential and having the opposition record the lowest number of free kicks in a Grand Final are both records. Furthermore, going back to 1996 and excluding the one you already mentioned, the difference in counts in Grand Finals was usually around 3-4, even in much more dominant performances than the Bulldogs'. So yes, I think it is anomalous, given only one other occurrence can be found in two decades (probably more, if I could be bothered going back further. This is especially strange when you consider that one of these teams went two and a half quarters with one free kick.

Where have I claimed favouritism, bias, or that it definitely cost the Swans a victory?

Well, despite your incredulity, having the greatest Grand Final differential and having the opposition record the lowest number of free kicks in a Grand Final are both records. Furthermore, going back to 1996 and excluding the one you already mentioned, the difference in counts in Grand Finals was usually around 3-4, even in much more dominant performances than the Bulldogs'. So yes, I think it is anomalous, given only one other occurrence can be found in two decades (probably more, if I could be bothered going back further. This is especially strange when you consider that one of these teams went two and a half quarters with one free kick.

Last edited:
What am I making up? That Hawthorn and the Bulldogs have been more favoured by the umpires than St Kilda in recent years? That's backed up by the stats and the fact that #freekickhawthorn and #freekickbulldogs were trending here last here and on other social media, there was no #freekickstkilda trending anywhere.

Conversely your post saying that "St Kilda have been awarded the greatest amount of free kicks that were incorrectly paid over the past 5 seasons. So obviously they've been the greatest beneficiaries of poor umpiring" is just made up garbage with no basis in fact.

I have more credibility discussing umpiring than Bulldogs and Hawthorn supporters who continue to deny they've been favoured by the umpiring despite overwhelming evidence that suggests otherwise.
"Backed up by the stats" LMAO. Too good!

I didn't realise they were keeping stats on umpiring decisions that were incorrectly awarded to a team.

And using the existence of a hashtag as supporting evidence...? And you say I've hurt my credibility! What a pisser lol

Swans led (by max 3pts) for 7 minutes in the second half, all in Q3. Completely irrelevant to the umpiring (or Swans effort) but factually incorrect to say they led for a large part of the game. Dogs also led from 22mins in Q1 to 18mins Q2.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back