precieved favouritism of umpiring Bulldogs games

Remove this Banner Ad

It's pretty strange, isn't it?
The bulldogs have their media campaign this year to get painted as the 'good guys' and now everyone's on their bandwagon.
You don't see #FreeKickBulldogs even though they're more deserving of the hashtag than Hawthorn ever were.
You don't see the media bringing attention to the throws, the ducks, or the free kick counts that another team would get.
But hey, it's good for ratings and ticket sales.

Pretty much the reason I'll be cheering for the Swans next week.

Fantastic post, nailed it.
As much as I hate that campaigner Franklin and the AFL Swans, at least they got their under their own steam.
+100 free kicks in a season and we are just being salty? lol imagine the Hawks were lining up again on the weekend with similar stats. melt city!
Some Dogs I work with were still crying about the Rnd 3 umpiring prior to them knocking us over in the finals.
That was 50 all day to Scully, but I'm just being salty...

It would be interesting to see the reaction if the Bulldogs get the same run from the umpires next year if they win the flag. Eventually people will turn and they will go from the team everyone wants to see win to the team everyone wants to see lose.

It would be interesting to see the reaction if the Bulldogs get the same run from the umpires next year if they win the flag. Eventually people will turn and they will go from the team everyone wants to see win to the team everyone wants to see lose.
Already has, don't think i'll even bother watching the game two teams i couldn't care less for.

Got it in one, mate. That is the absolute truth of it all. I saw some things GWS players did yesterday that, had Luke Hodge or Jordan Lewis done them, there'd be calls for life suspension, but it was a couple of GWS players so it was fine. It matters not what was done, it matters more who does it.

I'll give you another example:

When West Coast got over the line in a thriller against GWS up there, the two goals they were gifted before the natnui one in the dying minutes of the game to bring them back into it were both from dodgy too high decisions in front of goal...no one really cared because they were all excited about nat nui including myself I was going for west coast and loving it.

BUT trust me if that was Hawthorn there would of been the biggest melt downs u have ever seen.

And ur spot on about all that niggle and rough stuff in the gws/sydney and gas/dogs game. Again no one really cared and they even enjoyed it. if it was Mitchell or Hodge or even Lewis the *silly people would of been up in arms and crying.

I had to stop going on game day threads involving Hawthorn this year...full of the biggest bunch of fwits

Killed my enjoyment of footy the amount of trolling and ridiculousness.
HaHa.... those game day threads are terrible. Don't let it ruin your enjoyment of footy mate. Just don't waste your time reading them. Full of knobs who would rather tap away on a keyboard during an exciting game rather than.... oh, I don't know.... maybe just watch the game without feeling the need to post their crap.

We're extremely well drilled tacklers, we win more of the ball than any other club and we're usually first to the ball and looking to move it forward. Is it really that surprising we get a lot of free kicks? Yes we have a couple of obvious duckers but most teams do. Also saying we throw the ball is absolute bullshit. Go grab me some examples of us blatantly throwing it and come back to me.

They still have a long way to go to match the +372 free kick differential enjoyed by the Eagles since 2010.
By my calculations, it's +480 since 2010 (including).
They have a positive Free Kick differential of +813 since 2005 (including).

Over the years, I have spent quite a bit of time studying Free Kick statistics. Attempts to excuse favourable umpiring with comments like "first to the ball" and "contested footballers" are a little ignorant. For example, Hawthorn in 2016 have the worst Contested Football team differential (-471), yet they have still had a favourable Free Kick season (+15). Western Bulldogs also have a -175 team tackle differential in 2016.
The majority accepts that umpires are generally bias towards a home team and home crowd, so why is it so hard to accept the possibility of other umpiring bias, for whatever reason. Sometimes, umpiring bias is the simplest explanation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OTE="WestCoast05, post: 46999832, member: 169394"]Selwood plays for the dogs now?[/QUOTE]
McLean has gone beyond Selwood. He's just collapsing at the knees every time a player comes at him.

Never seen a team drop and throw the ball as much as this dogs team. I guess everyone is blind to their success that no one wants to call them out on it.
Wow, the 'Bigfooty Pessimist' is true to his word.

(I don't see how Weagles supporters are in any position to comment on others' ducking and throwing.)

It's not only today though. Vs Adelaide, WC, St Kilda earlier this season favoured massively each game and was the difference between winning and losing. Not to mention the games I didn't watch of theirs.
Look, I understand your point, but if you think the Dogs were the ones favoured in the Adelaide, St Kilda, and Norf games earlier in the season I question everything else you've written on this matter.

The Dogs have had a good run with the umps in terms of free kick differential. However, they definitely deserve their spot in the GF and would be fitting premiers.

Their last 3 weeks have been some of the best footy played this year. They have overcome injuries to key players throughout the year and play an attractive brand of footy.

The game on Saturday will be interesting because both sides are very good at getting the ball free when tackled (whether it is always legal disposal is another matter) and I don't expect many free kicks to be paid. Whether this hurts the Dogs' chances or not remains to be seen.

The best team generally wins most games and this will be the case on Saturday.

To be quite frank, I've had an absolute gutful of the emphasis placed on umpiring. I don't watch a lot of games not involving Hawthorn, but when I have, I've seen bugger all wrong with the umpiring. I go into the match day threads and all you read is people screaming about umpires.

Very little mention of how many times so-called great players cough the ball up or make horrendous blunders, apparently it was all the umpires' fault a team lost.

The footy public really needs to grow up.

GWS went the knuckle. The lopsided free kick result was there tonight, the Giants need to pull their head in.
finally someone got it right the knuckle on top of sheer arrogance cost themselves a second to none shot

To be quite frank, I've had an absolute gutful of the emphasis placed on umpiring. I don't watch a lot of games not involving Hawthorn, but when I have, I've seen bugger all wrong with the umpiring. I go into the match day threads and all you read is people screaming about umpires.

Very little mention of how many times so-called great players cough the ball up or make horrendous blunders, apparently it was all the umpires' fault a team lost.

The footy public really needs to grow up.

Only Hawks or Bulldogs supporters could be happy with the current standard of umpiring, the umpiring in recent years has been a complete shambles.

Rules and interpretations have become vague and confusing and there is no consistency from one game to the next or from one team to the next.

If the standard of umpiring doesn't improve you will just have to get used to people complaining about it.

I acknowlege that the umpires love us. I'm not sure anyone has worked out why that is though?

Trying to get free kicks at every opportunity. Smart but destroying the game. Not umpires fault at all. The amount of times bulldog players drop knees and raise players arms when they get tackled around the waist is insane. Watching the dogs is like watching a soccer match.

Trying to get free kicks at every opportunity. Smart but destroying the game. Not umpires fault at all. The amount of times bulldog players drop knees and raise players arms when they get tackled around the waist is insane. Watching the dogs is like watching a soccer match.
We have a couple that do it (Mclean in particular, Hunter, Dickson Macrae sometimes) But in general across the board we're no worse than other sides.

We have a couple that do it (Mclean in particular, Hunter, Dickson Macrae sometimes) But in general across the board we're no worse than other sides.
Good side, to be in the grand final due to throwing the ball.

The speed that they throw the ball is incredible, they must think it's a baseball. Perhaps we should start a basketball team?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back