Toast Bulldogs Jumper Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry dw, but Peter Baxter was no relation, came out of Avondale Heights in the EDFL.

Edit: he later coached Avondale for a couple of seasons as well late 80s I think.
Really? That's a surprise.
He was described as his brother back then, but I was relying on the media commentary ... and as we well know not every commentator does his research like Bruce McAvaney.

Really? That's a surprise.
He was described as his brother back then, but I was relying on the media commentary ... and as we well know not every commentator does his research like Bruce McAvaney.
Like the Stringer twins Jesse and Jake, they kept mixing them up

I reckon Bones Mcghie would still be enjoying the doggies even though prob more remembered at tiger land. Cannot recall why he left, just one of those early f ups when I was a youngster.

gordo2016

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2017
Footscray, Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I think Bones McGhie left the Dogs because he played up too much and the Dogs couldn't handle him. Richmond were a very professional, successful side under Hafey and they got the best of Bones. He settled down a bit although still having his moments. As a child watching him play, I was fascinated by his tatts and he appeared to be a very scary man. I vaguely recall him standing near the players race at a game at the Western oval, must have been while the reserves was on. My old man made out he knew all the players personally, he was best mates with all of them. He went up and said someone to Bones. Bones said something back to him and looked at me and said something like "How are you going champ?" I got his autograph on the footy record , as well as a couple of other players standing next to him, pretty sure one of them was Bernie Quinlan. Can't remember who we were playing and whether we won or not, but I went home thinking this was the greatest day of my life!

Last edited:

H Dolphin

Club Legend
Nov 11, 2005
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club
I think Bones McGhie left the Dogs because he played up too much and the Dogs couldn't handle him. Richmond were a very professional, successful side under Hafey and they got the best of Bones. He settled down a bit although still having his moments. As a child watching him play, I was fascinated by his tatts and he appeared to be a very scary man. I vaguely recall him standing near the players race at a game at the Western oval, must have been while the reserves was on. My old man made out he knew all the players personally, he was best mates with all of them. He went up and said someone to Bones. Bones said something back to him and looked at me and said something like "How are you going champ?" I got his autograph on the footy record , as well as a couple of other players standing next to him, pretty sure one of them was Bernie Quinlan. Can't remember who we were playing and whether we won or not, but I went home thinking this was the greatest day of my life!
Thumping a Committee man in the Social Club, in those days, was par for the course. Bones is up there with his spiritual ancestor, Ned Kelly. Bev would use him as second tall defender and 1st interceptor. Ned held up the bank in Glenrowan then destroyed the Bank's securities on small farms. 'Bones was in that tradition. Any bloke who intimidates without actually doing anything, Bones' speciality, is right up there with Ted's antics in the centre square and fatty Xi's in the South China Sea. Good man Bones. He hated fat blokes.

H Dolphin

Club Legend
Nov 11, 2005
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club
It's management that counts. That's why we won a Premiership in 2016 and another on they way. Bones, his left foot as unusual as 'Froggy' Thompson's wrong foot. Said Lou Richards of Bones skinny arms " more pictures than the National Gallery", had Edna let Richards out a bit more, Lou'd have substituted "Louvre" for 'National Gallery'.

Last edited:

gordo2016

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2017
Footscray, Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Templeton almost always wore long sleeves, including the day against St Kilda kicking 15.

Pretty sure it was because he had such skinny arms when he first arrived from Traralgon.
Yer, he did wear long sleeves because of skinny arms. Pretty much right up to 1981 I reckon. When he did his knee he spent a lot of time in the gym and his arms became huge. From that time on, he wore mainly short sleeves, occasionally going for long if it was wet or muddy.

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Yer, he did wear long sleeves because of skinny arms. Pretty much right up to 1981 I reckon. When he did his knee he spent a lot of time in the gym and his arms became huge. From that time on, he wore mainly short sleeves, occasionally going for long if it was wet or muddy.

Kelvin built himself up over the 80 pre-season (pre-knee) after Hart suggested he should try CHF, pretty sure 1980 onwards he was almost exclusively sleeveless. He looked even bigger by 82 (post-knee) when has was captain - I reckon his 1980 size was ideal, but then he kept working out to get bigger again, wonder if that contributed to his knee in 1981. He looked far too top heavy in 1982, but by mid-82 he knew he was leaving anyway, so then became Demon's issue.

Oliver G

Premium Platinum
May 14, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Cody Weightman
QldffK3B.jpeg
1658659344173.jpeg

Dominic Bedendo (wearing two jumpers, an older long sleeves without hoops)
Screen Shot 2022-07-24 at 8.40.12 pm.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oliver G

Premium Platinum
May 14, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Bailey Hunt

Bailey Hunt.jpg

Gemma Lagioia

Gemma Lagioia.jpg

Jamarra Ugle-Hagan

Jamarra Ugle-Hagan.jpeg

Laitham Vandermeer

Laitham Vandermeer.jpg

Awful match. Think we didn't hold a mark in the warm up and Lloyd had 5 at quarter time. Don't think there was a long sleeved version though?
Apologies for the late late late late reply, but it appears Sam Power wore the sleeves in this kit, plain blue but can't tell if there was a colour change at the end where the cuff once was as they were slightly rolled up to keep the wrists clear.

Freshwater

Premiership Player
Oct 30, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Here is a great podcast about the history of our great footy jumper. From the maker of the thoroughly amazing website footyjumpers.com. Some very interesting stories in here. I’ve had to wait a long time to hear this one now that we are at the bottom of the alphabet in terms of AFL teams.

H Dolphin

Club Legend
Nov 11, 2005
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club

Here is a great podcast about the history of our great footy jumper. From the maker of the thoroughly amazing website footyjumpers.com. Some very interesting stories in here. I’ve had to wait a long time to hear this one now that we are at the bottom of the alphabet in terms of AFL teams.

If we can change back from Prince Imperials, why not from Western ?

Freshwater

Premiership Player
Oct 30, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
What I loved about the podcast was the host is an Essendon fan and the owner and creator and curator of the the amazing website footyjumpers.com . The AFL uses his website as their go to for the history of football jumpers. But in it he says that we have had the worst jumper in the history of AFL/VFL! That is debatable, but he believes the Thor jumper was the worst of all time, and it’s hard to argue. But he also thinks that our traditional hooped jumper, with the long sleeves (this whole thread) with the hoops on the sleeves, is the best most perfect Australian rules football jumper! Can’t argue with that either. He has an extra reason for believing this but you’ll have to listen.
How on earth did we put out some traditional hooped long sleeved jumpers without the hoops on the sleeves for a few years? Cotton on are still doing this with our women’s jumpers?

H Dolphin

Club Legend
Nov 11, 2005
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club
What I loved about the podcast was the host is an Essendon fan and the owner and creator and curator of the the amazing website footyjumpers.com . The AFL uses his website as their go to for the history of football jumpers. But in it he says that we have had the worst jumper in the history of AFL/VFL! That is debatable, but he believes the Thor jumper was the worst of all time, and it’s hard to argue. But he also thinks that our traditional hooped jumper, with the long sleeves (this whole thread) with the hoops on the sleeves, is the best most perfect Australian rules football jumper! Can’t argue with that either. He has an extra reason for believing this but you’ll have to listen.
How on earth did we put out some traditional hooped long sleeved jumpers without the hoops on the sleeves for a few years? Cotton on are still doing this with our women’s jumpers?
Not having watched the podcast, I limit my enthusiastic agreement with all you've posted to "But he also posted..." on. You being an old leftie, how's your mix of emotions about Goanna's drummer ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back