Autopsy Bulldogs win a heart stopper vs Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

Richards best role is as a small defender. And with the talent and depth of small to mid defenders we have (Daniel, Crozier, Williams, JJ, Duryea) he's simply not going to get a game in that role. So he's forced elsewhere.

He's actually made no progression since his debut year.

I agree we need more speed. But we need players with speed that actually contribute and warrant their selection. Richards right now doesn't do both.

And no theirs no stipulation that he would land us a good ruck. But i'd certainly use him in a trade if it did allow us to grab a good first ruck or a really good small forward. Both of which we desperately need.

I think many would suggest Richards should be off a HB before JJ a present and let the kick develop into that role.

If we were laden with speed then I might think trading him for a needs player is a smart idea but at 21 I personally have seen enough in him to keep him.

He stays before Lynch, Dale, Smith, Jong, Lloyd, Gowers, Schache, Dickson, Suckling, and evening Lipinski for mine so he is pretty safe

After the first quarter i'm just so proud of how we responded on the field and in the coaches box. We are a rung below the top teams this year and we need a very good offseason to get into that group.

I've previously evaluated us as dishonest. I was wrong to be fair. We probably play above our talent. If you reel off our midfield names with no other context you'd be forgiven for thinking we should be better than what we are, but really that midfield group carry a team with holes everywhere. That they do is a credit to Beveridge and the character of our young "senior" core of Bont, Macrae, Dunks and the father sons.

Our top ups and lost players since the flag have yielded mixed results for, imo, an overall negative. We NEED a good offseason of topping up. Over the next three years we enter a sweet spot of:

1. Mature talented core: Bont, Macrae, Libba, Wallis, Dunks, B Smith, Naughton, English, Hunter, Croz, Daniel, JJ

2. Enough experience into the next wave (this one has a BIG QUESTION MARK): T Mac, Dale, Richards, Cordy, Laith, Lipinski

3. Addressing our needs: Ruck support for English, More afl ready talent to soften the drop off between points 1 and 2

If Naughts is being groomed as our main forward, then if you can identify this -and good on you-why can't the forwards coaches?

How they can’t see it is baffling he has no forward momentum so the ball floats off his foot And stays low most times which is proof of that

Geez the maggots tried to screw you!!! That ruck infringement to Darling with a minute to go was the biggest howler of the year

You missed the "holding" the ball against Kelly and the Head high front on contact on Mclean then? The ruck infringement could have been the most costly though

I think many would suggest Richards should be off a HB before JJ a present and let the kick develop into that role.

If we were laden with speed then I might think trading him for a needs player is a smart idea but at 21 I personally have seen enough in him to keep him.

He stays before Lynch, Dale, Smith, Jong, Lloyd, Gowers, Schache, Dickson, Suckling, and evening Lipinski for mine so he is pretty safe

I still see Richards on the wing. We already have JJ to rely on butchering a kick or a bad decision from half back that costs a goal-or a game- we don't need another one capable of that.

At least on the wing if Richards does it, its less costly.

Yojimbo: You cannot mark a handball Bevo !

Bevo: Neither can they Yojimbo, neither can they !

Yojimbo: That is why you are a master coach, so much wisdom !

Bevo: Wait until you see what i have planned for Clarkson, Hawthorn are nothing since i left.

Yojimbo: It's all true you cannot fault the logic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Won’t get traded and anyway why would we sell low? Given his form this year we wouldn’t get much for him.
I like Ed and see a lot in him. His best game was off half back; pity we're pretty right for half backs. He will find a niche, just like Wallis has found up forward to be his, rather than as a mid where he and everyone else thought he belonged, originally.

This comment doesn’t just belong here, but in any forum where comments are made, and that is a lot of people seem to be absent the day/s false equivalence is taught.

Did you see what I did there?

Attachments

• B834A501-0596-4535-88CD-14BD94AB2ACD.jpeg
    B834A501-0596-4535-88CD-14BD94AB2ACD.jpeg
    270.1 KB · Views: 92
I have all the respect in the world for supporters like you. Standing by your club when things look grim is the real test. But things aren’t grim right now. That is the point. We have a highly talented list with maturing stars in most positions, a coach with a proven track record, a sound fiscal position. All things we lacked in 2014.

And for that reason, the current performance is not good enough and requires that we ask the hard questions. 2014 was a time to back the club no matter what, we were against the ropes. It’s time for the club and supporters to grow up. We don’t need to be the permanent underdogs anymore, we have a chance to be a large dominate club. But being satisfied with mediocrity will just make us another Melbourne or St. Kilda.

I think this is the main difference between the views. You say maturing stars, I say besides Bruce, Keath, Lloyd, JJ, Libba, and Wallis we are still not mature. Every top side this year or any other year is led by their best players being 27+ and at their physical best. Ours is a mixed bag. We've got a few that are close but they'll be a different level once they actually get there. We're still closer to Carlton or Freo in terms of a list build but our young stars are so good we're overperforming.

Last edited:
I thought it was a shocking ump display. Holding the balls getting / not getting called.
That free missed to Wallis for being dragged down then given to WC 5 second later for the same thing.
And that last free in the ruck.
Nearly smashed the 55 inch last night. Been a long time since I was so upset with the umps.
Good to see the resident miserable campaigners still miserable after a much needed win.

We were well ahead in nearly all the kpi’s and if not for the umps sliding a few digits in and our woeful efficiency fwd of centre, that was a 6+ goal win.
Couldn’t give a fu** who WC had out or how many days break they had. All clubs have been copping the rough end of the stick at some stage.

There were the obvious execution and skill errors that have cost us in most games this year but it’s hard to not be happy with last nights game. Plenty of room for improvement too which is a a positive.

If English is going to be the Roughead utility type then he needs a Minson style backup.

As for Bruce, we know over a resume of many seasons that he's so much better and down on confidence. In a game of inches he hits 2 of those chances from last night and we're singing his praises.

His contested work directly gave Wallis a goal.

If English is going to be the Roughead utility type then he needs a Minson style backup.

As for Bruce, we know over a resume of many seasons that he's so much better and down on confidence. In a game of inches he hits 2 of those chances from last night and we're singing his praises.

His contested work directly gave Wallis a goal.
That’s what a half decent eye for the game sees. It doesn’t take a genius to see that he is botching skill based things regularly, and Beveridge can’t really control that. What Beveridge can control is the ground ball rumbling McGovern felt when Bruce barrelled after him which led to that Wallis goal. And all the intercept marks we prevented from quarter time onward.

yes it would be nice if Schache, a much cleaner player by hand and foot could prevent intercept marks and the ball pinging out of our forward line like a springboard due to zero ground ball pressure. But Schache is one of the worst AFL players at doing that. And THAT is the key ingredient to playing dishonest footy.

Bevo will die on the hill of effort over polish and so will I.

Richards for Kreuzer ??
Fully serious - I'd consider Richards for SPS in a straight swap. Think it's fair valuation, both have elite traits but struggle for consistency. Doubt either club would let either of them go though

Remove this Banner Ad

Back